[Micronet] Research Hub switching to standard CalNet authentication on Thursday, June 5th

[Micronet] Research Hub switching to standard CalNet authentication on Thursday, June 5th

Ian Crew
Hi Micronetters:

To give you an advance heads-up, we will be making a small change to the way that connections to the Research Hub are authenticated during our regularly-scheduled maintenance window next Thursday, June 5th, from 8-9AM.  This will enhance security by using the standard CalNet login page instead of our current non-standard method.

For most users of the Research Hub, the login process will change only very slightly: instead of being directly prompted to enter their CalNet ID and Passphrase when they visit http://hub.berkeley.edu, they will be sent to the standard CalNet login screen when they click the button to sign in.

Users who access the Research Hub via non-web-browser-based methods, like WebDAV, the Alfresco smartphone/tablet apps, or IMAP will be more affected.  Those users will need to set a "Research Hub Key" (exactly analogous to the "bConnected Login Key" used by mobile devices and desktop clients to connect to bConnected) and use that new key instead of their CalNet Passphrase to connect via non-browser-based methods.  See How do I create a Research Hub key? for more details.

To repeat, users who connect only via their web browser (i.e. by opening IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari and going to http://hub.berkeley.edu) will not need to create a Research Hub Key.

We'll be posting a more end-user-focused version of this announcement to our website (http://hub.berkeley.edu) early next week, but thought it was important to give you all a couple of days extra warning.  Please contact us at [hidden email] if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Ian

___
http://hub.berkeley.edu

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Research Hub switching to standard CalNet authentication on Thursday, June 5th

Greg Merritt
Hi Ian,

Will the "Set Research Hub Key" menu choice simply be available & working when the Hub comes back on-line after the change tomorrow morning?  Would like to jump in as soon as it's available so that I can update my Drupal/Alfresco setup.

Thanks!

-Greg

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rick Jaffe
Greg,

Yes. You will find the link to the Set Research Hub Key page in the pull-down menu that appears when you click on your user name in the upper right-hand corner of any Research Hub page, next to the Help link. Let me know if it would be helpful to include a screenshot.

Thanks,

Rick Jaffe
Research Hub Suppport
[hidden email]

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Greg, all -

One more point - the change will happen during our regular maintennance window on *Thursday* morning, 7-9am
 (*not* tomorrow morning).

Rick

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Rick Jaffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Rick!

No need for a screenshot; my interest was more in the timing of the availability of the feature, rather than menu location. :)

-Greg

[...]

Hi all:

This upgrade has been completed.

Cheers,

Ian

On May 29, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

University of California, Berkeley

___