[Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

tedcrum
Does anyone know if SAS for Linux can be made to work natively on an Intel Mac?

-tc

Re: [Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

Jon Forrest
On 8/12/2010 2:15 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
> Does anyone know if SAS for Linux can be made to work natively on an Intel Mac?

There's no way I know of for a Linux binary
to run naively under Mac OS X. I'm curious
what you were expecting.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of
articles on the web that describe how to
install Linux on a Mac using Boot Camp.

I suspect that unless you're doing massive
amounts of I/O, SAS for Linux would run
quite well in a Linux VM running on a
Mac.

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

Re: [Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

Bill Clark
I'm not exactly sure what Ted was expecting, but until now I had thought
that there was probably a way for OS X to run Linux binaries natively,
since I'm used to FreeBSD being able to do that, and OS X was originally
based on FreeBSD.

However, some research shows that the Linux ELF binaries are not
compatible with the Mach-0 binary format that's used by OS X, so it looks
like a VM or dual-boot scenario is the only way to go, as you suggest.

-Bill Clark

> On 8/12/2010 2:15 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>> Does anyone know if SAS for Linux can be made to work natively on an
>> Intel Mac?
>
> There's no way I know of for a Linux binary
> to run naively under Mac OS X. I'm curious
> what you were expecting.
>
> On the other hand, there are a bunch of
> articles on the web that describe how to
> install Linux on a Mac using Boot Camp.
>
> I suspect that unless you're doing massive
> amounts of I/O, SAS for Linux would run
> quite well in a Linux VM running on a
> Mac.
>
> --
> Jon Forrest
> Research Computing Support
> College of Chemistry
> 173 Tan Hall
> University of California Berkeley
> Berkeley, CA
> 94720-1460
> 510-643-1032

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

tedcrum

John Forrest wrote:

>There's no way I know of for a Linux binary
>to run naively under Mac OS X. I'm curious
>what you were expecting.
>
>-
>Jon Forrest
>Research Computing Support
>College of Chemistry

Our user was told by someone in Software Distribution that it might
be possible. Not being a SAS user, I thought asking here might be the
easiest was to find out what he meant. Maybe an unsupported Mac compile?

But it appears that it is not, as I suspected, possible.

-tc

Re: [Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

Jon Broshious
So what would you suggest to the user, to run SAS for Linux on a Mac?

I had told the user that I would need a few days before I could look into It. My knowledge of SAS is limited. I told him when I had a moment I would find out if Bootcamp, Parallels or some other Avenue would be the best way to go to use SAS for Linux on a Mac running Leopard. I think something got lost along the way.

Software Distribution, sales and support for SAS, JMP, Mathematica and SPSS staff consists of me as of a month ago. I'm not in a position to give very much technical support yet. My current priority is setting up sales and distribution and getting Site licenses paid for and renewed for campus users. I'm learning about the software as I go. And this would be a great time to find out what people on campus are currently using.

John Forrest wrote:

>There's no way I know of for a Linux binary
>to run naively under Mac OS X. I'm curious
>what you were expecting.
>
>-
>Jon Forrest
>Research Computing Support
>College of Chemistry

Our user was told by someone in Software Distribution that it might
be possible. Not being a SAS user, I thought asking here might be the
easiest was to find out what he meant. Maybe an unsupported Mac compile?

But it appears that it is not, as I suspected, possible.

-tc

Jon Broshious
Service Desk
UC Berkeley-IST
2484 Shattuck,  MC4894

Re: [Micronet] SAS on OSX ?

Mark Ingles
VMWare Fusion or Parallels would be a good solution. Personally, I prefer VMWare. There's also Virtual Box by Sun (now Oracle):

When setting up a VM, you need plenty of memory. I've seen so many situations where people try to get by with 2 GB and performance is terrible. 4 GB should be the minimum. If you plan to be in the VM every day and your machine can take more than 4 GB, by all means, do it.

Mark