[Micronet] Scanner Problem

Mike Friedman
Hi,

Here at home, I've had a CanoScan 4200F flatbed scanner for about 6 years.  It's been working fine all this time, until yesterday.  Now,  when I try to scan a document, I immediately get the following message in a pop-up window:

    Cannot communicate with scanner
    Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.
    Check status.
    Scanner driver will be closed.

When I click 'OK', I get this message, also in a separate window:

    Unable to open TWAIN source
    Please check connection
    Then re-start Toolbox

At first, my symptoms were more erratic.  I had no trouble previewing the document, but when I did the scan it would hang at the 10% or 15% point and the scanner would be stuck;  I'd have to unplug the power and replug it, at which point I'd then get the above messages.  So, I tried a bunch of things, including (a) unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable as well as the power cable, (b) reinstalling the scanner drivers and the Toolbox software, (c) rebooting my system (Windows 7 Ultimate).  At one point, after doing some of the above, I was able to get one successful scan.  But all attempts since have failed and now I get the above symptoms as soon as I start the Toolbox software.

I looks to me like I need to replace the scanner.  (Perhaps only the USB cable, but I don't know where to get another one suited to this particular scanner).  But before doing this I figured I'd ask you folks for any advice, in case there is something else I can do to salvage this device.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Scanner Problem

Debra Krauss
Maybe try here?

http://driversdownloadnow.com/Canoscan-4200F/drivers/

-- Debra

On 10/20/2011 1:36 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:
[...]

Financial Services Analyst
Berkeley Law Business Services
2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220
Berkeley, California 94705-7220
[hidden email]
Phone (510) 643-6600
Fax (510) 642-5818

On 2011-10-20 13:43, Debra Krauss wrote:
Maybe try here?

http://driversdownloadnow.com/Canoscan-4200F/drivers/

-- Debra

Debra,

I went to that site.  What they have is something called "Driver Detective".  I downloaded it and ran it.  It checked my machine for all out of date drivers.  As it happens, it says my CanoScan driver is up to date.  Which isn't surprising, in fact, since the machine is over 6 years old and I don't think one can even buy a 4200F (new) anymore, so I wouldn't expect there to be versions of the driver more current than what I have, which is the same as what's now available at the Canon site.

Incidentally, I tried something else.  Instead of starting the CanoScan Tools, I attempted a scan using my Nuance PDF Converter, which allows one to take input directly from the scanner.  This got me further:  I was able to do a successful preview.  However, as soon as I started a scan I got the same "disconnected" errors as before.

Thanks anyway.

John:  At this point I think you're right about my needing a new scanner.

Mike