[Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

[Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

Anna Maurer

Hello,

One of my higher ups asked if Micronet had any information on the above topic. You know those “Neat Desk Organizer” infomercials that demonstrate a product that scans documents, extracts keywords, and builds a searchable index? We collect a LOT of paper, and want to scan, archive, index, and retrieve, but don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

Anyone have recommendations for a more robust, business level system?

Thanks,

Anna

Anna Maurer

Database and Application Developer

Recreational Sports

UC Berkeley

2301 Bancroft Way

Berkeley, Ca 94720

Re: [Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

Guy D. VINSON
I would not suggest this for documents of a sensitive nature but I personally use Evernote and have come as close as I ever have come to going paperless. I know they have what they call a business level of service but I am not sure what that means. What works for me is the wide range of options I have for getting data into the service and how easy it is to then find a given document at a later time.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Anna Maurer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

One of my higher ups asked if Micronet had any information on the above topic. You know those “Neat Desk Organizer” infomercials that demonstrate a product that scans documents, extracts keywords, and builds a searchable index? We collect a LOT of paper, and want to scan, archive, index, and retrieve, but don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

Anyone have recommendations for a more robust, business level system?

Thanks,

Anna

Anna Maurer

Database and Application Developer

Recreational Sports

UC Berkeley

2301 Bancroft Way

Berkeley, Ca 94720

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

Patrick McGrath
Hi Anna -

Generally, if you're talking about documents that are a part of university business, i'd stay away from consumer oriented services or even enterprise services with a consumer SLA (security, privacy, liability issues, etc…)

We have a document scanning service that is licensed for campus-wide use called "Imagine", which is also used for document-centric workflow.  More detailed information is available on a presentation at the following page… https://content.berkeley.edu/content/imagine

Currently, operational costs are covered centrally by the campus, though you'd have to take care of the scanner, a license (maybe $1300 plus 15% a year for support) and engage our team directly to provide the configuration services.

As an alternative, we have secure content storage options you could use if you already have a scanner or scanned documents. These services are particularly good as repositories for documents.  Refer to http://hub.berkeley.edu, http://berkeley.box.com or http://calshare.berkeley.edu .

Network storage services are also available at http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/san.

Best,
Patrick

Patrick McGrath

Associate Director -­ Content and Collaboration
http://content.berkeley.edu
IST Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
UC Berkeley
Office (510) 931-6609
Cell (925)-699-0539

On Mar 26, 2013, at 2:56 PM, "Guy D. VINSON" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tom Holub
According to the Imagine system requirements page <http://ist.berkeley.edu/rct/cms/imagine/requirements>, Imagine isn't supported with Java 7 (and doesn't work with Macs at all). Is that up to date?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Patrick McGrath <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

Patrick McGrath
Good question Tom,

Ironically, yes, that is correct.  Our current version is not certified for Jv7, though it seems to work.  We are within a couple of months from the platform upgrade that will resolve this.

In terms of Mac support, there is a web-only version of the software that is can be used with macs, with a few functional restrictions.

Patrick

On Mar 26, 2013, at 3:23 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, all. I’ll forward the Imagine link to my bosses and see what they have to say. That looks promising!

I’m pretty sure they weren’t thinking of saving scanned forms outside of UC systems. Been there, done that, raised the victory flag, did the celebration dance.

Thanks,

Anna

Re: [Micronet] Scanning documents for archiving - suggestions?

Nicholas Phelps

I’d like to add to Patrick’s response to Tom’s question concerning Java 7 and our Imagine system’s WebNow web interface. WebNow works with Java 7_17 with one exception: printing. The work-around is to launch the associated program for the document from the WebNow interface and print from that program.

Please see my February 25, 2013 8:17 AM email to Micronet copied below.

Regards,

Nicholas Phelps

Imagine System Administrator

IST-Research and Content Technologies