[Micronet] Sending email from a web site

[Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Dav Clark
Hi all,

I have a Django site that needs to send email to users sometimes. It (currently) doesn't need to be able to receive mail.

Is there a standard campus SMTP server that allows sending of mail? Or otherwise, how do folks handle applications that need to send emails?

Thanks!

--
Dav Clark
Data Scientist

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Richard DeShong-2
calmail.berkeley.edu
best to get a dept email address, then create a key.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Dav Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Django site that needs to send email to users sometimes. It (currently) doesn't need to be able to receive mail.

Is there a standard campus SMTP server that allows sending of mail? Or otherwise, how do folks handle applications that need to send emails?

Thanks!

--
Dav Clark
Data Scientist
UC Berkeley D-Lab

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Use a departmental account, and use calmail.berkeley.edu as the mail
server. You will need to use the account password - the key only works
with Google. At the moment port 25 will work for campus destinations,
though you may want to look at using SSL.

It varies a bit on how this is done. You can use languages that provide
their own mail transmission, hand off to a mail smarthost (eg Linux), or
execute a mail tool (eg Blat on Windows, IIS). One thing you do not want
to do is run a full mail server 8-)

This also presumes that the messages are originating from the system,
and not the user. If you are allowing arbitrary messages to user
selected destinations you are opening your system up for abuse.

Mostly I use this mechanism so that my servers can phone home.

Graham

On 7/29/14 4:54 PM, Dav Clark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Django site that needs to send email to users sometimes. It
> (currently) doesn't need to be able to receive mail.
>
> Is there a standard campus SMTP server that allows sending of mail? Or
> otherwise, how do folks handle applications that need to send emails?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dav Clark
> Data Scientist
> UC Berkeley D-Lab
> dlab.berkeley.edu <http://dlab.berkeley.edu>
> 510-664-7000

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Richard DeShong-2
Just a note:  the "key" works on my dept acct's that send mail to calmail.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Use a departmental account, and use calmail.berkeley.edu as the mail
server. You will need to use the account password - the key only works
with Google. At the moment port 25 will work for campus destinations,
though you may want to look at using SSL.

It varies a bit on how this is done. You can use languages that provide
their own mail transmission, hand off to a mail smarthost (eg Linux), or
execute a mail tool (eg Blat on Windows, IIS). One thing you do not want
to do is run a full mail server 8-)

This also presumes that the messages are originating from the system,
and not the user. If you are allowing arbitrary messages to user
selected destinations you are opening your system up for abuse.

Mostly I use this mechanism so that my servers can phone home.

Graham

On 7/29/14 4:54 PM, Dav Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Django site that needs to send email to users sometimes. It
> (currently) doesn't need to be able to receive mail.
>
> Is there a standard campus SMTP server that allows sending of mail? Or
> otherwise, how do folks handle applications that need to send emails?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dav Clark
> Data Scientist
> UC Berkeley D-Lab
> dlab.berkeley.edu <http://dlab.berkeley.edu>
> 510-664-7000

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Dav Clark
Thanks all!

I'm filling out a departmental email request form.

To address Graham's concerns, I'm just using this for notifications, so, for example, password recovery, etc. for editors on the CMS.

Perhaps I'll report back on whether "application key" or password auth works for me?

Best,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Use a departmental account, and use calmail.berkeley.edu as the mail
server. You will need to use the account password - the key only works
with Google. At the moment port 25 will work for campus destinations,
though you may want to look at using SSL.

It varies a bit on how this is done. You can use languages that provide
their own mail transmission, hand off to a mail smarthost (eg Linux), or
execute a mail tool (eg Blat on Windows, IIS). One thing you do not want
to do is run a full mail server 8-)

This also presumes that the messages are originating from the system,
and not the user. If you are allowing arbitrary messages to user
selected destinations you are opening your system up for abuse.

Mostly I use this mechanism so that my servers can phone home.

Graham

On 7/29/14 4:54 PM, Dav Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Django site that needs to send email to users sometimes. It
> (currently) doesn't need to be able to receive mail.
>
> Is there a standard campus SMTP server that allows sending of mail? Or
> otherwise, how do folks handle applications that need to send emails?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dav Clark
> Data Scientist
> UC Berkeley D-Lab
> dlab.berkeley.edu <http://dlab.berkeley.edu>
> 510-664-7000

Dav Clark
Data Scientist
UC Berkeley D-Lab

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Michele Tomkin
Hi All,

If you use calmail as your SMTP host then the application password is
needed.

If you use google as your SMTP host then the bConnected Key is needed.

Regards, Michele

Michele Tomkin,
Information Services and Technology

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Dav Clark wrote:

> [...]
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

> Dav ClarkData Scientist
> UC Berkeley D-Lab
> dlab.berkeley.edu
> 510-664-7000

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Hi Michele,
I remember the "application password", but I do not see that option anymore.  Right now, I go to bConnected, Manage my Keys, pick bConnected, select my dept account, and set a key.  Then I use this key in my application and it works to send email to calmail (not google).

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Michele Tomkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

> Dav ClarkData Scientist
> UC Berkeley D-Lab
> dlab.berkeley.edu
> 510-664-7000

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

Hi Richard,

If you go to the bconnected home page and select 'Manage Your Account'
and then select a departmental account, you will see:

  Change Password

on the left navbar.  This is only displayed for departmental accounts.

If you send specific details to [hidden email] about which
account is sending mail and give us a recent date/time the mail logs
can be examined.  Alternately, you could send mail from the departmental
account to your personal account and then send the full mail headers
to [hidden email].

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Richard DESHONG wrote:

> [...]
>       past.
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       > --
> > Dav ClarkData Scientist
> > UC Berkeley D-Lab
> > dlab.berkeley.edu
> > 510-664-7000

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

> Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
> 164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
> 510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Sending email from a web site

I am not having a problem.  I was just pointing out that the bConnected key works when sending to calmail.

You had indicated that you need to use the "application password" to send to calmail.  So I was indicating that I used the Manage My Keys option to create a bConnected key for my dept account.  I use this key to send mail to calmail.  Again, everything is working fine.

Now it is certainly possible that behind the scene, setting a key for a dept account also sets the application password.  I have no interest in testing this (since everything is working).

But if it is true (and not some fluke with just my dept accounts), then it would make instructions to users easier.  That is:
Get a dept account.
Use [Manage My Keys] and set a key.
--
Richard