[Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Finsen Chiu-2
Hi Micronet,

One of our departments wants to set up a new YouTube channel for hosting
videos.  Any suggestions and recommendations on how to set up a channel?

I believe we currently can't use any @berkeley.edu or subdomain
addresses to setup a channel (right?).  So, is setting up a channel
using a personal @gmail.com account the only way to achieve this? How
are other departments tackling this?

Thanks,

Finsen

--
Finsen Chiu
DECF Systems Administrator

Re: [Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Greg Merritt
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Finsen Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe we currently can't use any @berkeley.edu or subdomain
addresses to setup a channel (right?).

Why's that?

Re: [Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Stuart Damon
Finsen,

I found that one of the problems in using a Berkeley address, @berkeley.edu is that it conflicts with the bMail authentication and you cannot successfully log on to YouTube.

So using a @gmail.com, and a browser which is different than the on you use to view bMail is a good start.

If the video is posted as Private, each user must create their own YouTube account to log-on.

Typically the email address [hidden email] should be used as the User ID for the new YouTube account being logged on-to, and be used as the email address used to Invite them once it is uploaded.

Of course if the video is Public, there is no reason to log onto YouTube as anyone can view it.

There may be better solutions and/or corrections to what I have just stated.

This is only my two cents on what I have experienced.

Attached is a Draft Word Document "YouTube Master Notes" that explains this, and provides some instructions.

Good luck.

Sincerely, Stuart Damon
Campus Shared Services I.T.
Direct Phone: 510 725-7775
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY

To Quickly Open a Support Ticket
Call:    510 664-9000 Option 1

YOUTUBE MASTER NOTES.docx (154K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Steve Masover
Hello Finsen,

To get around the inability to set up a YouTube account using a berkeley.edu Google ID, our group created a Google ID tied to our unit, not to anyone's personal e-mail account. That ID "owns" our YouTube channel.

~Steve

On 12/1/2014 3:41 PM, Finsen Chiu wrote:
Hi Micronet,

One of our departments wants to set up a new YouTube channel for hosting
videos.  Any suggestions and recommendations on how to set up a channel?

I believe we currently can't use any @berkeley.edu or subdomain
addresses to setup a channel (right?).  So, is setting up a channel
using a personal @gmail.com account the only way to achieve this? How
are other departments tackling this?

Thanks,

Finsen

--
=====================
Steve Masover, IT Architect

Re: [Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Stuart Damon
Bernie,

Thank you!

For clarification, does this in short mean we should not use @berkeley.edu because it is not a Core Service?

Or we can use @berkeley.edu,  but would have to use a different browser when authenticating, as to not conflict with our Core Service a.k.a bMail?

If it is the latter, then @gmail.com would seem to be the answer, or create one Google ID for the unit (not anyones personal account) as Steve suggested.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Bernie Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Direct Phone: <a href="tel:510%20725-7775" value="+15107257775" target="_blank">510 725-7775
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY

To Quickly Open a Support Ticket
Call:    <a href="tel:510%20664-9000" value="+15106649000" target="_blank">510 664-9000 Option 1

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Finsen Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Micronet,

One of our departments wants to set up a new YouTube channel for hosting
videos.  Any suggestions and recommendations on how to set up a channel?

I believe we currently can't use any @berkeley.edu or subdomain
addresses to setup a channel (right?).  So, is setting up a channel
using a personal @gmail.com account the only way to achieve this? How
are other departments tackling this?

Thanks,

Finsen

--
Finsen Chiu
DECF Systems Administrator
1109A Etcheverry
DECF: http://www.decf.berkeley.edu
DECF Status: http://decf-status.blogspot.com/

Re: [Micronet] Setting Up a YouTube Channel

Bernie Rossi
Since YouTube is not a core service, it is not enabled in our Berkeley Google domain.  If you try to establish a channel using a Berkeley account, it will tell you it is not enabled.

On 12/2/14 3:40 PM, Stuart Ernest DAMON wrote:
[...]

Direct Phone: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:510%20725-7775" value="+15107257775" target="_blank">510 725-7775
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY

To Quickly Open a Support Ticket
Call:    <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:510%20664-9000" value="+15106649000" target="_blank">510 664-9000 Option 1