[Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

[Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

erol
Has anyone determined the best way to block random pages printing on networked printers. I assume they are the result of port scans. They usually have 1 to 4 lines of garbage text or a random GET url. Tired of paper being wasted.

Thanks,

Erol Kepkep

Re: [Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

Guy Seltzer
One way to do it would be to remove the default gateway from the printer's network configuration . Not always an option, but simple to do if you can.
A firewall would also make sure port scans won't reach the printer, but is more difficult to implement. It will introduce the added benefit of security to the network though...

Guy

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Erol Kepkep <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone determined the best way to block random pages printing on networked printers. I assume they are the result of port scans. They usually have 1 to 4 lines of garbage text or a random GET url. Tired of paper being wasted.

Thanks,

Erol Kepkep

Guy Seltzer
Systems Administrator
EH&S - UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

Charles Lam
In my last department, I configured all the printers to use private IPs and my print server to use both public and private addresses (so that the server acts as a router).  All printers were deployed using a GPO and I never saw any unintended print job.

Charles Lam
Tech Lead - Lower Bancroft (Zone 4)
Campus Shared Services IT
University of California, Berkeley

To request IT services, please choose one of the three methods below:
1. Call us at (510) 664-9000, option 1 – fastest method!
2. E-mail us at [hidden email]
3. Submit a ticket

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Erol Kepkep <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone determined the best way to block random pages printing on networked printers. I assume they are the result of port scans. They usually have 1 to 4 lines of garbage text or a random GET url. Tired of paper being wasted.

Thanks,

Erol Kepkep

Re: [Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

Most printers allow IP restrictions under Access Control, so unless you
need world-accessible printing, limit the ranges to the campus set and
turn off any services you do not support. Apart from using a print
server to filter incoming traffic (not always viable), that is probably
all you can do.

A handful of blank pages is not too bad. It used to be possible to
clobber PostScript printers and have them spit out pages with a couple
of characters in the corner...from a megabyte or two of file!

Graham

On 9/29/15 10:57 AM, Erol Kepkep wrote:

> Has anyone determined the best way to block random pages printing on networked printers. I assume they are the result of port scans. They usually have 1 to 4 lines of garbage text or a random GET url. Tired of paper being wasted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erol Kepkep

> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

Greg Merritt
I'm in an office of about a dozen people, and our several paper & trash bins were suddenly replaced by a dozen paper bins, each with a tiny landfill attachment.

At the other end of the building, we have a new compost bin and a new can & bottle bin.

We share one humble printer, which, on many days, isn't even turned on.  Most of the waste we generate is compost and cans/bottles....which folks now overstuff into the easy-to-reach tiny landfill attachments, rather than walk for a minute or two round-trip to get rid of a teabag.

So, if somebody has to take the hit for two-megabyte PostScript printer bombs, we'll gladly do it -- we hardly use the printer, and somebody expects us to go through a couple of reams of paper per day.  We'll try not to drip our teabags onto the paper when we put them into landfill attachment.

(Apologies for the sarcasm, and for hijacking the thread -- I do super-appreciate the effort to reduce/eliminate landfill! Unfortunately it's been made inconvenient to do the right thing, and we're tripping over unused paper bins..........."A" for effort, though!)

Re: [Micronet] Stopping random pages printing

Alex Warren
Enable IP filtering on the printers, it will stop the prints from
happening.  I have used that successfully for years.

Alex Warren
CED IIT
University of California, Berkeley
485 Wurster Hall

Has anyone determined the best way to block random pages printing on
networked printers. I assume they are the result of port scans. They
usually have 1 to 4 lines of garbage text or a random GET url. Tired of
paper being wasted.

Thanks,

Erol Kepkep

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.