[Micronet] Strange iOS/iTunes behavior

Mike Friedman
I thought I'd mention some unusual behavior I encountered starting
yesterday with my iTunes interface to my iPhone and iPad, with respect
to iOS updating.

Last night when I plugged in my iPhone for its nightly sync, I got a
message on iTunes that an iOS update was available, namely 9.2.1.  But I
was already running 9.2.1 and have been since it came out some time
ago.  Meanwhile, my iPhone itself said my iOS was up to date!  So I
didn't do the iOS update and just ran my sync.  Today, however, iTunes
gave me the same message, so I decided to proceed with the download and
update, just to see what would happen.  Well, it took over a half hour
to download and install the update, just as it would if this really were
a new version.

The same thing occurred with my iPad, so I did the download and
"install" there as well (it took about the same amount of time).  The
net result is that both devices are apparently running the same iOS
version as they were before yesterday and I wound up wasting over an
hour to install something that shouldn't have been required.  But if I
hadn't, I would presumably have continued to see the iOS update
available message on iTunes every time I did my syncs.

There was no problem, as far as I can tell, from having run these
updates, but I thought I'd mention this in case any one else here can
explain what's going on.  This has never happened to me before.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Strange iOS/iTunes behavior

vanngogh
Hi Mike,

Probably related to the following:

They seem to have patched the iOS but didn't change the version number.

Thanks,
Anthony

ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;micronet-announce@lists.berkeley.edu&#39;)">micronet-announce@... list.

On 2016-02-20 07:25, Anthony M. VANN wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Probably related to the following:
>
> http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/apple-ios-9-2-1-error-53-fix/
>
> They seem to have patched the iOS but didn't change the version number.

Anthony,

Thanks.  That explains it.

Mike

--