[Micronet] Suggested projectors?

Donna L Lee

Micronetters:

I have a request to purchase a projector that will be used for project presentation in conference rooms (not large halls) that can project images well in high light as well as low light situations. Some portability but the unit will mainly stay in the room or in a storage locker when not in use. No price range but I would assume in the low to mid-range.

I haven’t purchased any projector for almost 10 years, so what is good out there now?  If anyone has any recommendations (or what to steer clear of) in the next day or 2, I’d happily receive them.

Thank you!

Donna L Lee

Facilities Services Information Technology (FSIT)

UC, Berkeley

2000 Carleton Street, Room 240

Berkeley, CA 94720-1384

Phone:  (510) 642-6337

[hidden email]

Website:  www.facilities.berkeley.edu

P    Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Re: [Micronet] Suggested projectors?

Ian Crew
We got a http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H362020 about a year ago, and have been quite happy with it.  One of its main benefits is that it is quite portable, but given how nice it's been, I'd be tempted to look at other projectors in the Epson line.

We especially like that its native resolution is 1280 x 800, which matches up nicely with today's widescreen laptop displays.  It also has MUCH better color fidelity than the older Dell projectors we have around the office.

It wasn't hugely expensive, if I recall correctly--$1000, or just a little under that, IIRC.

Hope that helps.

Ian

On Aug 23, 2012, at 3:31 PM, "Donna L Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Suggested projectors?

Ferenc KOVAC

Yup, Epson can be a great choice and UC is offered excellent ENAP contract prices, via Compview.

Another great product is the Panasonic line, also with special pricing through Tracy McAllister (x-cal cheerleader :-) of Avidex.

Which projector?  Well, the right answer is ‘depends,’

Ferenc

Re: [Micronet] Suggested projectors?

jon kuroda-2
I currently have a mix of Sanyo, Panasonic, and Hitachi for a varying
mix of fixed installation and portable for offsite event use.  Others
in EECS also use Epson.

However, my new current "favorites" are the new Casio projectors that
use a mix of LED/Laser solid-state light sources instead of UHP lamps
(UHP lamps are mercury vapor lamps).

I have the XJ-M255 in use here now and am looking at the XJ-A256 (the
slimline model) for travel use.

        http://casioprojector.com/

No more expensive lamps to replace for the forseeable lifetime of the
projector (10,000-20,000 hours of usage).  Better color gamut, better
picture quality.  Possibly lower power consumption (I have yet to put
one on a power meter here.)  It takes most video inputs I care about,
including VGA, HDMI (which can support DVI with the proper cable) and
component, but doesn't support Displayport (but then it seems none of
the projector manufacturers support that yet).

But as Ferenc, who has advised me on many projector purchases, notes,
"it all depends."

--Jon

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 03:31:13PM -0700, Donna L Lee wrote:

> Micronetters:
>
> I have a request to purchase a projector that will be used for project
> presentation in conference rooms (not large halls) that can project images
> well in high light as well as low light situations. Some portability but the
> unit will mainly stay in the room or in a storage locker when not in use. No
> price range but I would assume in the low to mid-range.
>
> I haven't purchased any projector for almost 10 years, so what is good out
> there now?  If anyone has any recommendations (or what to steer clear of) in
> the next day or 2, I'd happily receive them.

Re: [Micronet] Suggested projectors?

Adam Stone
Another vote for Epson.  They are our new lab standard up at LBNL.
Among other good qualities, their software for clients (control /
wireless projection / etc) is actually not bad and more importantly,
they keep it updated.  A lot of manufacturers release software at the
time the projector is released and then never update it.

as

Re: [Micronet] Suggested projectors?

tedcrum
I also prefer the 3-LCD engine (like the Epson) over the cheaper DLP
in the Dells and such. Better color, less flicker. My last projector
was an Epson.

Dell makes some very affordable projectors that look good as
check-out machines for instructors, but the controls are confusing
and unlabeled, and the elevator mechanism is fragile.

If you ever need to operate with a screen that is to left or right of
the projector, even a little bit if it's a permanent mount, look for
horizontal keystone adjustment.

Most cheap projectors have a sham zoom, as little as 1.1 : 1 , just
enough to say it has zoom without really useful. Most such aren't
zoom at all - they don't retain focus when you change size, so you
end up with two adjustments that both make the picture fuzz out.

Enough laptops now natively support wireless projectors that you
might consider it if you think your users have enough clue.

And be sure to buy enough Mac adapters, and chain them to the
projector, to suit the naive user who doesn't carry his own.

-Ted Crum
Psychology

At 03:36 PM 8/23/2012, Ian Crew wrote:

> [...]
>>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>known you in the past.
>

>--
>Ian Crew
>Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
><http://hub.berkeley.edu>http://hub.berkeley.edu
>
>Content Management Technologies
>IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
>Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
>University of California, Berkeley

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Lucy Greco
Would anyone want to take a guess witch one of these I could use best. I
have often fight with projectors in rooms on campus and could not ever find
the way to turn them on. Remember now its Lucy asking so it needs to be
tactile and focus should be auto and maybe best to have one button operation
only. I am thinking of asking for a portable projector for when I am not in
a con room that has one thanks  oh and I may just by it myself so price is
critical smile Lucy

Lucia Greco
Web Access Analyst
IST-Campus Technology Services
http://webaccess.berkeley.edu

> [...]

>>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>known you in the past.
>

>--
>Ian Crew
>Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
><http://hub.berkeley.edu>http://hub.berkeley.edu
>
>Content Management Technologies
>IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
>Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
>University of California, Berkeley

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

visit the Micronet Web site: