[Micronet] Testing results Mac access to SharePoint via Webdav

[Micronet] Testing results Mac access to SharePoint via Webdav

Michael LEEFERS

Micronet

A couple of weeks ago the IST Enterprise Windows Team sent out a request for some help in testing Mac OSX and WebDav.

Again, I would like to thank everyone that helped us out.  We had tremendous support from our Micronet community.

The issue:

Users reported problems copying files to a CalShare (Microsoft Sharepoint) site via Finder from a Mac.  Users were able to connect to CalShare via Finder and navigate the file structure.  They were able to copy files via “drag and drop” from CalShare to their computer.  However, when they tried to drag a file from their computer to the CalShare folder, an error was received --  "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “testfile.txt” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)".  The same error was received on all OSX versions tested (10.5.X and 10.6.X).  These tests were also run against SharePoint 2010 with the same results.

One particularly helpful member of our Micronet community, Graham Patterson, went beyond some the tests we performed.  He copied the same files via command line and was able to successfully upload them to the CalShare server.  This command line process was tested on both 10.6.X and 10.5.X clients and worked for both.

Current resolution:

At this time we recommend that Mac users who wish to use webdav use Finder to map to the server and then use cmd line to copy files.

If anyone on Campus has a support contract with Apple and is willing to open a support ticket, the Windows CalShare Team will work with you to see if Apple has a fix or a work around for this issue.

Thanks,

Michael Leefers

IST Enterprise Windows Team

Re: [Micronet] Testing results Mac access to SharePoint via Webdav

Patrick McGrath
Re: [Micronet] Testing results Mac access to SharePoint via Webdav Perhaps another alternative.

I use Cyberduck to act as a Mac  FTP/SFTP client, and have found this works well when accessing Calshare webdav folders.  Tested it out again this evening with good results.

Best, Patrick

On 9/27/10 1:01 PM, "Michael Leefers" <mleefers@...> wrote:

[...]

Graham Patterson
There are several webdav third-party tools that work. The issue is that
Apple's Finder (which is the default method) cannot connect to
Sharepoint. It does work with other webdav services.

Graham

On 9/27/10 6:09 PM, Patrick McGrath wrote:
> Perhaps another alternative.
>
> I use Cyberduck to act as a Mac  FTP/SFTP client, and have found this works
> well when accessing Calshare webdav folders.  Tested it out again this
> evening with good results.
>
> Best, Patrick
"...past the Tyranosaurus, the Mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and
the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Testing results Mac access to SharePoint via Webdav

Greg Merritt
> Cyberduck to act as a Mac  FTP/SFTP client, and have found this
> works well when accessing Calshare webdav folders.  Tested it out
> again this evening with good results.

Indeed -- but that is a solution to a different problem.

The problem being addressed is the question of mounting the CalShare
folders as a file share, with all of the accompanying point-and-click
simplicity for the user.

:)