[Micronet] Testing results from Mac OSX connecting to a 2008 R2 Server Share.

[Micronet] Testing results from Mac OSX connecting to a 2008 R2 Server Share.

Michael LEEFERS

Micronet,

A couple of weeks ago the IST Enterprise Windows Team sent out a request for help with testing Mac OSX and Window 2008R2 compatibility. (We also asked for some help with testing WebDav via Sharepoint and we will send out a separate email on those results.)

First off, we want to thank everyone that responded to our request.  We had a lot of participation from Micronet members and all of your help was greatly appreciated.

The issue:

Some Mac OSX members of campus were experiencing problems trying to access file shares that were hosted on Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 boxes. The error that they were receiving was “Unable to Authenticate”.  These same users were able to connect to shares on windows server 2003 boxes just fine.

The Windows Team was able to duplicate the issue and went about investigating the possible causes.  From the server logs we did see the connection attempts, but there were also “bad username and password errors”.  Windows Server 2008 R2 has implemented many new security features and has hardened an encryption algorithm that is used when attempting to connect to Windows 2008 R2  Share with SMB and NTLMv2.

From our tests, and those conducted by other campus users, we have identified that Mac Clients using OSX 10.5.X or earlier cannot connect to a server 2008 R2 share via SMB with NTLMv2 being enforced. We tried making several configuration changes at both the server and the domain level and were never able to get successful authentications.  Mac clients, running OSX 10.6.x or later, had no issues connecting to the same shares.

Current resolution:

At this time we are recommending that those users that need to connect to Windows 2008 R2 shares upgrade to the latest version of OSX 10.6.

If anyone on Campus has a support contract with Apple and is willing to open a support ticket, the Windows Team will work with you to see if Apple has a fix or a work around.

Thanks.

Michael Leefers

IST Enterprise Windows Team

Re: [Micronet] Testing results from Mac OSX connecting to a 2008 R2 Server Share.

Michael LEEFERS

Micronet,

I received a response from an Apple Systems Engineer on this issue.  Below was their response.

“Currently the only workaround to this issue is to use a third-party solution or to upgrade to 10.6.  I do not believe a fix will be put in place for 10.5.x to include this functionality.”

Michael