[Micronet] The end of e-mail?

Debra Krauss
Interesting article at the Financial Times

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5207b5d6-21cf-11e1-8b93-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1h1tA6QGD

-- Debra

--
Debra Krauss
Financial Services Analyst

Re: [Micronet] The end of e-mail?

Ian Crew
That article isn't available to non-subscribers....care to summarize it?

Cheers,

Ian

On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Debra Krauss wrote:

> Interesting article at the Financial Times
>
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5207b5d6-21cf-11e1-8b93-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1h1tA6QGD
>
> -- Debra
>
> --
> Debra Krauss
> Financial Services Analyst
> Berkeley Law Business Services
> 2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220
> Berkeley, California 94705-7220
> [hidden email]
> Phone (510) 643-2303
> Fax (510) 642-5818

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] The end of e-mail?

secabeen
Click the first link:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=%22the+end+of+email%22

On 12/19/2011 4:24 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> That article isn't available to non-subscribers....care to summarize it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Debra Krauss wrote:
>
>> Interesting article at the Financial Times
>>
>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5207b5d6-21cf-11e1-8b93-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1h1tA6QGD
>>
>> -- Debra
>>
>> --
>> Debra Krauss
>> Financial Services Analyst
>> Berkeley Law Business Services
>> 2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220
>> Berkeley, California 94705-7220
>> [hidden email]
>> Phone (510) 643-2303
>> Fax (510) 642-5818

> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] The end of e-mail?

Debra Krauss
Basic summary:

Companies trend toward reduction of internal e-mail use
Use of non-email methods to communicate internally re sensitive info
(bankers)
     * handwritten notes
Use of new IT tools to communicate internally, manage workflow (Klick)
     * Genome
Use of social networking tools media to communicate (CapGemini)
     * Yammer
"No e-mail Fridays" (Intel)

-- Debra

On 12/19/2011 4:24 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> That article isn't available to non-subscribers....care to summarize it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Debra Krauss wrote:
>
>> Interesting article at the Financial Times
>>
>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5207b5d6-21cf-11e1-8b93-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1h1tA6QGD
>>
>> -- Debra
>>
>> --
>> Debra Krauss
>> Financial Services Analyst
>> Berkeley Law Business Services
>> 2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220
>> Berkeley, California 94705-7220
>> [hidden email]
>> Phone (510) 643-2303
>> Fax (510) 642-5818

> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Debra Krauss
Financial Services Analyst
Berkeley Law Business Services
2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220
Berkeley, California 94705-7220
[hidden email]
Phone (510) 643-2303
Fax (510) 642-5818

Re: [Micronet] The end of e-mail?

Isaac Orr-2
One comment I would make that may cast some light on the reliability of
this piece:

The difficulties in keeping track of social media communications have
actually led to most financial institutions *banning* their use, not
encouraging it (the reverse of what the article says).  In contradiction
to the view commonly presented in the press, most financial institutions
are *very* concerned with regulatory compliance and if you work IT in
that world, much of your time is spent ensuring that compliance in
everything you do.  That was my experience, at least.

iso

On 12/19/11 4:25 PM, Ted Cabeen wrote:

> Click the first link:
> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=%22the+end+of+email%22
>
>  On 12/19/2011 4:24 PM, Ian Crew wrote:
>> That article isn't available to non-subscribers....care to
>> summarize it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Debra Krauss wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting article at the Financial Times
>>>
>>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5207b5d6-21cf-11e1-8b93-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1h1tA6QGD

-- Debra

>>> -- Debra Krauss Financial Services Analyst Berkeley Law Business
>>> Services 2850 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 500 #7220 Berkeley,
>>> California 94705-7220 [hidden email] Phone (510)
>>> 643-2303 Fax (510) 642-5818

>>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>>> searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>>> viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>>> people who have known you in the past.
>>
>> Ian Crew Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub Information
>> Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
>> University of California, Berkeley 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
>> http://hub.berkeley.edu

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
> past.

Re: [Micronet] The end of e-mail?

Patrick Schmitz
When I worked for the evil empire in Redmond, they strongly encouraged
everyone to delete all email older than 2 months (at the outside). This was
tacitly understood as a means to reduce trails of evidence.

A busy manager I knew set up his email to auto-delete everything older than
1 week. He made this plain to everyone, telling them that if he had not
responded within a week, he would not, and they could try again to get it
onto his radar. This struck me as draconian, and yet a fairly honest
reflection of reality for many of us.

I remain unconvinced that a new medium will save me time. If I have to watch
another feed to stay on top of things, that takes time. If a list (the
source of most non-essential email) is not worth the attention, I can
unsubscribe or get a digest and scan when I have time. I do encourage
engineers to close email for hours at a time when they are working on
something difficult. It *is* possible to ignore it...

Patrick

Aaron DuBois
I'm pretty sure this is an article that gets repeated every other year
or so.
Google "end of email" and set the dates for any 2 years from 2000-2010.

Sociology Tech
489 Barrows Hall
Mon-Fri 8:30-2:30
510-643-9389