[Micronet] Thunderbird questions

Claudia A. WATERS

Hi Micronetters!

If you are using Thunderbird, I’d appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me:

1.  Do you use imap or pop

2.  Do you store mail files on a server/fileshare or local c drive

3.  Do you compact regularly or automatically.

4.  Have you dealt with corrupt inboxes or draft folders

Thanks so much.

Claudia

Re: [Micronet] Thunderbird questions

Jon Forrest
On 6/14/2010 1:19 PM, Claudia Waters wrote:
> Hi Micronetters!
>
> If you are using Thunderbird, I’d appreciate it if you could answer a
> few questions for me:
>
> 1. Do you use imap or pop

IMAP. I think it's a mistake to use pop.

> 2. Do you store mail files on a server/fileshare or local c drive

IMAP always stores email on a server.

> 3. Do you compact regularly or automatically.

I don't think this is necessary with the version
of IMAP used by CalMail

> 4. Have you dealt with corrupt inboxes or draft folders

Never.

Jon

Re: [Micronet] Thunderbird questions

Jonathan Felder
1.  I've used both, I imap pretty much all the time these days though.
2.  locally
3.  The only real reason to do so is if you delete a lot of stuff...and
only if you pop.
4.  Nope.

Claudia Waters wrote:
> Hi Micronetters!
>
> If you are using Thunderbird, I’d appreciate it if you could answer a
> few questions for me:
>

> 1.  Do you use imap or pop

IMAP. POP only if a client absolutely begs, and signs in blood our Dire
Warnings About POP disclaimer 8-)

> 2.  Do you store mail files on a server/fileshare or local c drive

Both, and neither. From choice I leave stuff on the CalMail server, but
I copy local folders to the file server.

We have lots of laptop users who want mail without network connections;
we have people with lots of attachments they want locally.

I have a couple of people saving local folders to a network file server.

> 3.  Do you compact regularly or automatically.

Rarely, if ever.

> 4.  Have you dealt with corrupt inboxes or draft folders

Inbox problems only seem to arise with bad messages, usually odd
Exchange servers. Going in to web mail to excise the offending message
usually fixes that. But Thunderbird is not special in this respect.

Wha'cher broken, then?

"...past the Tyranosaurus, the Mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and
the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Thunderbird questions

Robert Hiramoto
Re: [Micronet] Thunderbird questions Hi Claudia,

  1. IMAP, but I do have a couple of clients that require POP for specific reasons.
  2. Locally, with Ucbackup on those clients.
  3. Auto
  4. Once, but that was caused by a flaw in importing an old Eudora mailbox.

~R

On 6/14/10 1:19 PM, "Claudia Waters" <claudiaw@...> wrote:

Hi Micronetters!
If you are using Thunderbird, I’d appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me:

1.  Do you use imap or pop
2.  Do you store mail files on a server/fileshare or local c drive
3.  Do you compact regularly or automatically.
4.  Have you dealt with corrupt inboxes or draft folders

Thanks so much.
Claudia

~Robert
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  (510) 643-3903