[Micronet] Timeouts on 128.32.136.9 (DNS) this morning?

[Micronet] Timeouts on 128.32.136.9 (DNS) this morning?

Graham Patterson
We have been having problems with Windows folder redirection this
morning, and it looks like lookups using 128.32.136.9 are not resolving
fast enough.

Forcing alternate DNS servers seems to work.

Just us?

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Timeouts on 128.32.136.9 (DNS) this morning?

Richard DeShong-2
We had a few network connection oddities this morning - a copier that could not email scans, and two desktops that did not have connection.  These were all solved by a reboot.  Not unusual in the grand scheme, but since several happened this morning, I thought it odd.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have been having problems with Windows folder redirection this
morning, and it looks like lookups using 128.32.136.9 are not resolving
fast enough.

Forcing alternate DNS servers seems to work.

Just us?

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Timeouts on 128.32.136.9 (DNS) this morning?

Graham Patterson

We have found that rolling a different address to the preferred DNS
server fixes the problem at the desktop end. So it looks like a DNS
issue. Sluggish or uneven response, possibly.

I am still trying to find a complete common ground between the machines.
On affected machines, trying to connect to the file server manually
fails until the DNS server is changed.

Graham