[Micronet] Tip: Speed up SSH X11 forwarding

[Micronet] Tip: Speed up SSH X11 forwarding

Ian Crew
Hi all:

I pretty frequently still need to run X11-based apps from a remote server (like jconsole).

The tip at http://www.miscdebris.net/blog/2007/06/01/speed-up-ssh-x11-forwarding/, copied below, made things enough faster (from painful to quite usable) that I thought it was worth sharing.

Speed up SSH X11 forwarding
Posted June 1st @ 9:50 by Werner

I use an Ubuntu server as a work-horse for my calculations and connect from my desktop-pc with ssh to the server. For some applications (gnuplot =) this is really slow altough it’s over LAN. I found on the internet some instructions to improve this situation: instead of the AES cipher the arcfour and blowfish ciphers perform much better and switching on compression also doesn’t hurt. Therefore one should use

ssh -c arcfour,blowfish-cbc -XC host.com

to connect to with ssh. And guess what? This really improves the situation, especially for gnuplot. Thanks Samat!

Hope this is also useful to someone else!

Cheers,

Ian

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor