[Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

[Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Aron Roberts
Twenty-five years ago, on October 31, 1989, 18 people filtered into Hearst Memorial Gym for what was anything but a routine morning meeting. In an era when email wasn't ubiquitous, many had - quaintly - learned about this meeting via memos sent in campus mail. A number of participants wore their Halloween costumes.

That long-ago meeting, called by a campus IT staff member and dBase programmer who was hoping to “avoiding reinventing the wheel" in his work, represented Micronet's birth as a campus user group for IT professionals.

We're planning to further celebrate this anniversary in one or more ways over the days to follow, but for now, please give thanks for 25 years of Micronet on this very special Halloween Day!

Chris Kosienski
Micronet Coordinator

Aron Roberts and Ian Crew
Micronet Mailing List Co-administrators

P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers, finally becoming known as Micronet sometime during 1990.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Graham Patterson
On 10/31/14 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
[...

> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
> Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers,
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Boy, I am glad that was changed!

finally becoming known as
> Micronet sometime during 1990.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Beth Muramoto
Thank you for this reminder, Aron.

Micronet members are not only made up of a knowledgeable group of highly regarded professionals, who have  rescued me time and time again with their generosity of time and expertise, but they were the speediest responders and never made me feel like I was asking a stupid or obvious question. Thank you to all of you for being there for me in times of crisis and troubleshooting.

Happy 25th. May Micronet continue to reign.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 31, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Twenty-five years ago, on October 31, 1989, 18 people filtered into Hearst Memorial Gym for what was anything but a routine morning meeting. In an era when email wasn't ubiquitous, many had - quaintly - learned about this meeting via memos sent in campus mail. A number of participants wore their Halloween costumes.
>
> That long-ago meeting, called by a campus IT staff member and dBase programmer who was hoping to “avoiding reinventing the wheel" in his work, represented Micronet's birth as a campus user group for IT professionals.
>
> We're planning to further celebrate this anniversary in one or more ways over the days to follow, but for now, please give thanks for 25 years of Micronet on this very special Halloween Day!
>
> Chris Kosienski
> Micronet Coordinator
>
> Aron Roberts and Ian Crew
> Micronet Mailing List Co-administrators
>
> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers, finally becoming known as Micronet sometime during 1990.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Lucy Greco
Hello,

I would also like to thank Micronet for being a very inclusive and welcoming group. As a blind admen for 8 years and now the web accessibility lead, this group has always supported everything I do.

I have always felt Micronet was an example of what can be done when it comes to access on a university campus. None of you ever told me, "wait, you're blind, you can't do that," and you always came to me as a group with ideas and support to find ways to use technology and make systems on campus and off campus work their best.

Here's a happy anniversary to all Micronet, and a thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Lucy

--
Lucia Greco
Web Accessibility Evangelist

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/31/14 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
[...

> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
> Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers,
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Boy, I am glad that was changed!

finally becoming known as
> Micronet sometime during 1990.

Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   <a href="tel:510-643-2222" value="+15106432222">510-643-2222

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Baril
WhoooooHooooooo!

--roy
On 10/31/2014 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
[...]

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Kevin Burney

A special thank you to Lucy for all she has done here.

Additionally I think that one of the fathers of the Micronet was Yau-Man Chan.

-Kevin

P.S. Graham, what is wrong with the acronym UMM?

I would also like to thank Micronet for being a very inclusive and welcoming group. As a blind admen for 8 years and now the web accessibility lead, this group has always supported everything I do.

I have always felt Micronet was an example of what can be done when it comes to access on a university campus. None of you ever told me, "wait, you're blind, you can't do that," and you always came to me as a group with ideas and support to find ways to use technology and make systems on campus and off campus work their best.

Here's a happy anniversary to all Micronet, and a thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Lucy

--
Lucia Greco
Web Accessibility Evangelist
IST - Architecture, Platforms, and Integration
University of California, Berkeley
(510) 289-6008 skype: lucia1-greco
http://webaccess.berkeley.edu
Follow me on twitter @accessaces

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10/31/14 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
[...

> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
> Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers,
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Boy, I am glad that was changed!

finally becoming known as
> Micronet sometime during 1990.

Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   <a href="tel:510-643-2222">510-643-2222

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Graham Patterson

Well, 'Umm...?' is not the sort of reply a professional IT person should
provide 8-)

It was the micro-management part that bothered me. Don't we want to be
different?

Graham

On 10/31/14 9:56 AM, Kevin Burney wrote:

> A special thank you to Lucy for all she has done here.
>

> Additionally I think that one of the fathers of the Micronet was Yau-Man
> Chan.
>

> -Kevin
>

> P.S. Graham, what is wrong with the acronym UMM?

Al Stangenberger
At one time the PC group was called the Berkeley PC Users Group, and
there was also BMUG for the Mac crowd.  Maybe Aron or Ian remembers when
they merged..

On 10/31/2014 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:

> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
> Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers, finally becoming known as
> Micronet sometime during 1990.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

BMUG was a Berkeley-based Macintosh Users Group (MUG) that was not directly affiliated with the university beyond being a registered student group, which allowed them to meet on campus.  Their offices were on Center street, just west of Shattuck (in a building that has since been torn down).

MAGNet (the Mac Administrators Group Network, forcing an acronym) was the campus Mac Administrator’s group.  MAGNet and Micronet were merged on August 12, 2011.

Software distribution, which handled campus wide site licenses and distributed that software on disk, CD, and from fileservers like Cornucopia (and a PC equivalent, whose name escapes me at the moment), was based on the second floor of Evans Hall.

Ian

On Oct 31, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Al Stangenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

At one time the PC group was called the Berkeley PC Users Group, and
there was also BMUG for the Mac crowd.  Maybe Aron or Ian remembers when
they merged..

On 10/31/2014 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:

P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers, finally becoming known as
Micronet sometime during 1990.

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

tedcrum
BMUG was not a really UC group; the UC group that
merged into Micronet was MAGNet.

We also absorbed a server-side group, which was,
I believe, an outgrowth of the Novell group.

Ted Crum
Retired

At 11:55 AM 10/31/2014, you wrote:

>I seem to remember picking up a BMUG OS 7
>installation floppy disk set...?  From some
>office downtown, or maybe on campus....? Â 1991....Hmmm.....
>
>-Greg
>
>On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Al
>Stangenberger <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>At one time the PC group was called the Berkeley PC Users Group, and
>there was also BMUG for the Mac crowd.  Maybe Aron or Ian remembers when
>they merged..

>list and how to find out about upcoming
>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are
>public and world-viewable, and the list's
>archives can be browsed and searched on the
>Internet.  This means these messages can be
>viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

jon kuroda-2
Ian reminisced thus: "and a PC equivalent [to cornucopia], whose name escapes me at the moment"

        ftp://tuna.berkeley.edu/

Also, who remembers moby.berkeley.edu and it's many /vol exports?

Why I still remember any of this is beyond me.  --Jon

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:02:59PM -0700, Ian Crew wrote:

> BMUG was a Berkeley-based Macintosh Users Group (MUG) that was not directly affiliated with the university beyond being a registered student group, which allowed them to meet on campus.  Their offices were on Center street, just west of Shattuck (in a building that has since been torn down).
>
> MAGNet (the Mac Administrators Group Network, forcing an acronym) was the campus Mac Administrator’s group.  MAGNet and Micronet were merged on August 12, 2011.
>
> Software distribution, which handled campus wide site licenses and distributed that software on disk, CD, and from fileservers like Cornucopia (and a PC equivalent, whose name escapes me at the moment), was based on the second floor of Evans Hall.
>
> Ian
>
> > On Oct 31, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Al Stangenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > At one time the PC group was called the Berkeley PC Users Group, and
> > there was also BMUG for the Mac crowd.  Maybe Aron or Ian remembers when
> > they merged..
> >

> > On 10/31/2014 7:37 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
> >

> >> P.S. The group started out being called the Administrative PC Users
> >> Group, then was renamed to UC MicroManagers, finally becoming known as
> >> Micronet sometime during 1990.

> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
> ___
> Ian Crew
>
> IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
> Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
> University of California, Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Lucy Greco
thanks Kevin . this thread brings back so many good   memory's smile.  i remember the Berkeley   mac users group fondly to because they  helped work on the first and best GUI screen reader. witch by the way has not been matched to this day. for usability. i   will  raze a  drink tonight to both micronet and outSpoken yes       those were the days grin

--

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
BMUG was not a really UC group; the UC group that
merged into Micronet was MAGNet.

We also absorbed a server-side group, which was,
I believe, an outgrowth of the Novell group.

Ted Crum
Retired

At 11:55 AM 10/31/2014, you wrote:
>I seem to remember picking up a BMUG OS 7
>installation floppy disk set...?  From some
>office downtown, or maybe on campus....? Â 1991....Hmmm.....
>
>-Greg
>
>On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Al
>Stangenberger <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>At one time the PC group was called the Berkeley PC Users Group, and
>there was also BMUG for the Mac crowd.  Maybe Aron or Ian remembers when
>they merged..

>list and how to find out about upcoming
>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are
>public and world-viewable, and the list's
>archives can be browsed and searched on the
>Internet.  This means these messages can be
>viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Today's Halloween and ... Micronet turns 25!

Yau-Man Chan-2
For some reason after I read this, I want to break out in the chorus of
the song "Those Were The Days"
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
http://www.metrolyrics.com/those-were-the-days-lyrics-mary-hopkins.html

Yau-Man Chan
College of Chemistry Head Geek Emeritus
University of California