[Micronet] TrueCrypt

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO
Dear Micronetters,

It's been a year since TrueCrypt has been abandoned by its developers, and we can't recommend the Dropbox/TrueCrypt solution anymore :(

What are you folks using for free, cross-platform, on-the-fly container encryption/decryption these days? It does not look like those audits found any vulnerabilities with TrueCrypt 7.1a, so perhaps its still in use? Searching on Google didn't really reveal any good alternatives, since whole-disk encryption and single-file encryption/decryption routines don't compare to ole TrueCrypt's mountable containers...

Sergey Shevtchenko
IT Director
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Jeff Teeters
Based on:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
TrueCrypt 7.1a is still in use and considered by many to be secure.  I still use it.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Micronetters,

It's been a year since TrueCrypt has been abandoned by its developers, and we can't recommend the Dropbox/TrueCrypt solution anymore :(

What are you folks using for free, cross-platform, on-the-fly container encryption/decryption these days? It does not look like those audits found any vulnerabilities with TrueCrypt 7.1a, so perhaps its still in use? Searching on Google didn't really reveal any good alternatives, since whole-disk encryption and single-file encryption/decryption routines don't compare to ole TrueCrypt's mountable containers...

Sergey Shevtchenko
IT Director
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-0077" value="+15106430077" target="_blank">(510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Hi Sergey:

There are campus-supplied and supported services that support both MSSEI PL1 (Box, Google Drive, and bCourses Project Sites) and MSSEI PL2 (CalShare) data, which may remove the need to use per-file encryption tools at all.  See http://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=44390 for a comparison among those 4 tools.

Hope that's helpful,

Ian

On Mar 13, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Micronetters,

It's been a year since TrueCrypt has been abandoned by its developers, and we can't recommend the Dropbox/TrueCrypt solution anymore :(

What are you folks using for free, cross-platform, on-the-fly container encryption/decryption these days? It does not look like those audits found any vulnerabilities with TrueCrypt 7.1a, so perhaps its still in use? Searching on Google didn't really reveal any good alternatives, since whole-disk encryption and single-file encryption/decryption routines don't compare to ole TrueCrypt's mountable containers...

Sergey Shevtchenko
IT Director
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Tom Holub-2
I've been doing a lot of work on data protection, and haven't found a free direct replacement for TrueCrypt. The problem with any of the cloud services is that they can't provide zero-knowledge encryption; at some level you're trusting the vendor to not screw up. For some data risks that's acceptable, but it depends on the specific needs.

I've used BestCrypt as a drop-in replacement for TrueCrypt, and it's good, much better than TrueCrypt in terms of UI. But it's not free; whether it makes sense in your environment depends on how many nodes you need to install it on, and who you're collaborating with.

On Mar 13, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;sergeys@berkeley.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">sergeys@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Holub, Founder
Totally Doable Consulting, http://totallydoable.com
Practical IT management consulting for education and non-profits

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Graham Patterson

Even cloud services that offer encrypt at (remote) rest and encrypt in
transmission cannot ensure local encryption. Which means you have to
transition through an unencrypted state to copy to another service.
TrueCrypt's encrypted object model was really handy in that respect.

I think CalShare is the only suitable location for things like master
password lists or anonymous data keys. Though one site is over-kill for
my space requirements. There's scope for a collaborative space, i think.

Graham

On 3/13/15 4:32 PM, Tom Holub wrote:

> [...]
>>     upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>>     searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed
>>     by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people
>>     who have known you in the past.
>
>     ___
>     Ian Crew
>
>     IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
>     Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
>     University of California, Berkeley
>

> --
> Tom Holub, Founder
> Totally Doable Consulting, http://totallydoable.com
> <http://totallydoableconsulting.com/>
> Practical IT management consulting for education and non-profits
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>, 510-957-8225

puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Hilary Schiraldi
A friend of mine is a contributor to a TrueCrypt fork called CipherShed:

There's also a competing project called VeraCrypt:

Both are free and open-source.

==
Hilary Schiraldi
Head
Long Business Library
Haas School of Business
UC Berkeley
510-643-6471

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Chung-2

The problem with any of the cloud services is that they can't provide zero-knowledge encryption; at some level you're trusting the vendor to not screw up.

Hey Tom—There is one cloud based backup/storage provider that claims to be entirely zero-knowledge: https://spideroak.com/zero-knowledge/

FWIW: I haven’t personally used this service, but have friends who do and swear by it.

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Enterprise Computing & Service Management

Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley

Student Services Building, Room S300D

Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

Tele: <a href="tel:15106433887">510-643-3887

Typical Office Schedule

Offsite: M-F

On Mar 13, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','sergeys@berkeley.edu');" target="_blank">sergeys@...> wrote:

[...]

[hidden email], 510-957-8225

Re: [Micronet] TrueCrypt

Tom Holub-2
The pure backup services like SpiderOak can do zero-knowledge, because they only give the data back to you via an encryption key that only you hold. Mozy and Crashplan have that option as well. But zero-knowledge doesn't work if you want the vendor to do anything with the data. SpiderOak can do zero-knowledge backup and restore, because for backup and restore they don't need to do anything other than give your bits back when you ask for them. But if you want to share a file with anyone, it's not zero-knowledge.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Michael Chung <[hidden email]> wrote:

The problem with any of the cloud services is that they can't provide zero-knowledge encryption; at some level you're trusting the vendor to not screw up.

Hey Tom—There is one cloud based backup/storage provider that claims to be entirely zero-knowledge: https://spideroak.com/zero-knowledge/

FWIW: I haven’t personally used this service, but have friends who do and swear by it.

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Enterprise Computing & Service Management

Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley

Student Services Building, Room S300D

Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

Tele: <a href="tel:15106433887" target="_blank">510-643-3887

Typical Office Schedule

Offsite: M-F

[...]

[hidden email], <a href="tel:510-957-8225" value="+15109578225" target="_blank">510-957-8225