[Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

[Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Beth Muramoto
This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.

My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
experience about  it.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
Even a web link would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Beth

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Jay Bryon
Retractable (gear up?) non-Berkeley answer:
I personally like Dreamhost for both web/wordpress hosting and reasonable DNS hosting.  They aren't perfect, but nobody is as far as I can tell, and they've gotten pretty dang good.  And the pricing is also extremely reasonable, and tends to get progressively better (your hosting gets better quotas over time).

Full disclosure: I think I get some sort of credit if you tell them I referred you, but like I care about that.  More importantly, they don't suck.

I've used them for about a decade now, and never had a DNS related issue, web downtime is pretty rare as well (which again, *everybody* has some).  Wordpress upgrades are either automatic or you can control them, with good notifications of patches etc.

They also can keep your personal info obscured from ICANN registry searches, which is convenient for avoiding spam, I advise taking advantage of that option, and domain locking so nobody can steal your domain out from under you.  (Had that happen once from a TLD provider who's name escapes me, but everybody hated them anyway, not sure if they're still around).

dreamhost.com

-J

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.

My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
experience about  it.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
Even a web link would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Beth

Sent from my iPhone

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Miguel Quinonez-Skinner
I use Namecheap. The terrible name aside, I like that I can host
multiple domains on one hosting account and it's inexpensive. I used to
only park domains with them, but I migrated over to their hosting and
have been happy.

www.namecheap.com

Another option is ICDSoft. I don't use them anymore, but I'd still
recommend them if your were looking for combined hosting and domain
services.

http://icdsoft.com/

Really, for domain parking or basic web-hosting, any of the major names
will do: Dreamhost, HostGator and Bluehost. If you try one and don't
like it, you can always switch to another company.

- Miguel

On 05/20/2013 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO wrote:

> This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
> I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
> this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.
>
> My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
> I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
> about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
> experience about  it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
> Even a web link would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Beth
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Miguel Quinonez-Skinner
Applications Programmer III
Civil and Environmental Engineering
UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Richard DeShong-2
I've been loosely associated with Dreamhost (supporting people who use it), and find it quite adequate, as Jay mentions.  I also host a number of sites with parcomweb.com.  The thing I like about them is that they are a family owned business.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Miguel Quinonez-Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use Namecheap. The terrible name aside, I like that I can host
multiple domains on one hosting account and it's inexpensive. I used to
only park domains with them, but I migrated over to their hosting and
have been happy.

www.namecheap.com

Another option is ICDSoft. I don't use them anymore, but I'd still
recommend them if your were looking for combined hosting and domain
services.

http://icdsoft.com/

Really, for domain parking or basic web-hosting, any of the major names
will do: Dreamhost, HostGator and Bluehost. If you try one and don't
like it, you can always switch to another company.

- Miguel

On 05/20/2013 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO wrote:
> This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
> I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
> this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.
>
> My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
> I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
> about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
> experience about  it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
> Even a web link would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Beth
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Miguel Quinonez-Skinner
Applications Programmer III
Civil and Environmental Engineering
UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Lynne Grigsby
We use Network Solutions for our non-berkeley.edu domain names.
Haven't had a problem with them.
Lynne

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been loosely associated with Dreamhost (supporting people who use it), and find it quite adequate, as Jay mentions.  I also host a number of sites with parcomweb.com.  The thing I like about them is that they are a family owned business.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Miguel Quinonez-Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use Namecheap. The terrible name aside, I like that I can host
multiple domains on one hosting account and it's inexpensive. I used to
only park domains with them, but I migrated over to their hosting and
have been happy.

www.namecheap.com

Another option is ICDSoft. I don't use them anymore, but I'd still
recommend them if your were looking for combined hosting and domain
services.

http://icdsoft.com/

Really, for domain parking or basic web-hosting, any of the major names
will do: Dreamhost, HostGator and Bluehost. If you try one and don't
like it, you can always switch to another company.

- Miguel

On 05/20/2013 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO wrote:
> This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
> I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
> this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.
>
> My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
> I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
> about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
> experience about  it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
> Even a web link would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Beth
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Miguel Quinonez-Skinner
Applications Programmer III
Civil and Environmental Engineering
UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

aj craft
We use GoDaddy for our non-berkeley.edu domain names. They have very good domain pricing.
aj

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Lynne E. Grigsby <[hidden email]> wrote:
We use Network Solutions for our non-berkeley.edu domain names.
Haven't had a problem with them.
Lynne

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been loosely associated with Dreamhost (supporting people who use it), and find it quite adequate, as Jay mentions.  I also host a number of sites with parcomweb.com.  The thing I like about them is that they are a family owned business.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Miguel Quinonez-Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use Namecheap. The terrible name aside, I like that I can host
multiple domains on one hosting account and it's inexpensive. I used to
only park domains with them, but I migrated over to their hosting and
have been happy.

www.namecheap.com

Another option is ICDSoft. I don't use them anymore, but I'd still
recommend them if your were looking for combined hosting and domain
services.

http://icdsoft.com/

Really, for domain parking or basic web-hosting, any of the major names
will do: Dreamhost, HostGator and Bluehost. If you try one and don't
like it, you can always switch to another company.

- Miguel

On 05/20/2013 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO wrote:
> This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
> I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
> this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.
>
> My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
> I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
> about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
> experience about  it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
> Even a web link would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Beth
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Miguel Quinonez-Skinner
Applications Programmer III
Civil and Environmental Engineering
UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Beth Muramoto
Thanks once again for everyone's great suggestions and personal experience feedback. I really do appreciate this list and the expertise that I get from all who are on it.

Thanks for taking the time to guide a newbie. I'll have to next do some reading and consult with my husband about what he wants to accomplish. He's thinking about doing a blog, but I've gotten feedback that maybe that's gone the way of the dodo with all the social networking sites like Facebook and the emerging Google +. He's a soil scientist who has a twitter handle called Compost Crusader and wanted to offer services as well as advice. He does some consulting, but he also teaches classes for Bay Friendly and the Park Academy. Any thoughts? This is still a work in progress idea so any suggestions from your experience is very much welcome.

Thanks again.

Beth

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.

My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
experience about  it.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
Even a web link would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Beth

Sent from my iPhone

Beth Muramoto
Computer Resource Specialist
Graduate School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
1650 Tolman Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email:  mailto:[hidden email]
Phone:  (510) 643-0203
Fax:  (510) 643-6239

The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver.
- Tom Peters

You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage to say 'no' to other things."

-Stephen Covey

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Coleman Cox

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Nathaniel Baldwin-2
If you're looking for a place to both register a domain and put up content and don't want to get involved in any technical details, I've heard great things about squarespace.com - they offer a free domain registration with yearly plans. If you try that one out and want to continue email me off list and I will track down a 10% discount code for you.

If you'd like more control over your site / options, I also used dreamhost.com for years and have good things to say about them.

I wouldn't recommend Network Solutions, and GoDaddy is a sleazy company with a horrible CEO.

--
Nat Baldwin
Unix Systems Supervisor

On May 21, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks once again for everyone's great suggestions and personal experience feedback. I really do appreciate this list and the expertise that I get from all who are on it.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to guide a newbie. I'll have to next do some reading and consult with my husband about what he wants to accomplish. He's thinking about doing a blog, but I've gotten feedback that maybe that's gone the way of the dodo with all the social networking sites like Facebook and the emerging Google +. He's a soil scientist who has a twitter handle called Compost Crusader and wanted to offer services as well as advice. He does some consulting, but he also teaches classes for Bay Friendly and the Park Academy. Any thoughts? This is still a work in progress idea so any suggestions from your experience is very much welcome.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Beth
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Beth J MURAMOTO <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a non-Berkeley tech question, but I really trust the opinions
> I get on this list so that's why I'm turning to it for advice. Hope
> this is okay. If not, I'll understand and retract.
>
> My husband wants to create a domain name for his consulting business.
> I'm creating a personal website using Pantheon as well. I'm leery
> about what are trustworthy services because I don't have any
> experience about  it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy service and give me any advice?
> Even a web link would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Beth
>

> Sent from my iPhone

> Beth Muramoto
> Computer Resource Specialist
> Graduate School of Education
> University of California, Berkeley
> 1650 Tolman Hall
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> Email:  mailto:[hidden email]
> Phone:  (510) 643-0203
> Fax:  (510) 643-6239
>
> The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver.
> - Tom Peters
>
> You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage to say 'no' to other things."
>
> -Stephen Covey
>
> I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
>
> -Coleman Cox

Re: [Micronet] Trustworthy domain name service

Richard DeShong-2
Beth,
If your husband likes the idea of having his own domain name, then get it.  Pick an ISP that has good management (such as the one's mentioned) and also one-button install of WordPress on their hosting service.  I'm sure DreamHost does, and I know that ParcomWeb does.  He can then create blogs and pages and link his site to whatever social media sites he likes.

A domain costs about $12/yr.  You can get it for a little less or more.  For a simple WordPress site, this should cost about $25 - $40 per year.  This would also give him an email address, and mailing lists.