[Micronet] UCB journal in search of new desktop computer

[Micronet] UCB journal in search of new desktop computer

Katrina Dodson
Dear Micronet members,

David Willson from the UC Berkeley computing services recommended your
group to me in my search for a donated or low-cost desktop (preferably a
Mac) to replace the one that died on our graduate-student run UCB journal,
Qui Parle. If anyone knows of a functioning Mac that another department is
no longer in need of or can recommend a low-cost option, this group of
editors would be extremely grateful. I have also emailed the MAGNet list,
which might be more appropriate to this request, but though I would try
here as well just to try all possible leads.

To give more information: Qui Parle is a UC Berkeley journal of humanities
and social sciences, which is run by graduate students and is supported by
various departments and organizations on campus, including the Townsend
Center. We operate on a shoestring budget and the loss of our computer has
been quite a blow. I am hoping that someone on this list might be able to
help us figure out if there is a way to obtain a computer as a donation
from another campus body (we're happy to take an older but still
functional computer from a department that is upgrading). If that is not
possible, then we would be interested in purchasing a new computer at a
reasonable cost. We would prefer a Mac, since many of us are most used to
that platform and it may last longer (though you probably know more about
this than I do) but at this point, we're open to all budget-friendly
options. Thank you for your help!

Here is a link to the Qui Parle journal website:
www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quiparle/

With much goodwill and advanced gratitude for any help provided,
Katrina Dodson
Ph.D. candidate, Comparative Literature
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] UCB journal in search of new desktop computer

Curtis Leung
  I was perusing the Cal Overstock and Surplus website
(http://businessservices.berkeley.edu/overstock) for some desks.  I
happen to see some older Macs for sale (iMac G4).  Check out item
numbers 13370 and 13371.  Each at $143.

Curtis

--
Curtis Leung