[Micronet] USTREAM blocked?

Bill Clark
Does anyone know if campus recently started blocking USTREAM, the video
streaming service?  I'm not even sure who to ask, so I figured I'd start
with Micronet.  Also, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the problem, we
were trying to access the NSF discussion webcast being broadcast here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/graduate-fellowships

I can't seem to access any stream at all on the USTREAM site, although
plenty of viewers off-campus are able to access it.

-Bill Clark
Systems Unit
Graduate Division

Re: [Micronet] USTREAM blocked?

Bill Clark
Just came back up.  Must've either been a problem on the USTREAM side that
only affected campus viewers, or else somebody fixed it on campus.  Either
way, the problem seems to have gone away. :)

-Bill Clark

> Does anyone know if campus recently started blocking USTREAM, the video
> streaming service?  I'm not even sure who to ask, so I figured I'd start
> with Micronet.  Also, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the problem, we
> were trying to access the NSF discussion webcast being broadcast here:
>
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/graduate-fellowships
>
> I can't seem to access any stream at all on the USTREAM site, although
> plenty of viewers off-campus are able to access it.
>
> -Bill Clark
> Systems Unit
> Graduate Division

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] USTREAM blocked?

Michael Sinatra-2
On 12/3/10 12:15 PM, Bill Clark wrote:
> Does anyone know if campus recently started blocking USTREAM, the video
> streaming service?

The only IP addresses that the campus is blocking are listed on the
"list of blocked IP addresses" linked off of the security.berkeley.edu
website.  I don't believe any of ustream's IP addresses are on that list.

> I'm not even sure who to ask, so I figured I'd start
> with Micronet.  Also, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the problem, we
> were trying to access the NSF discussion webcast being broadcast here:
>
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/graduate-fellowships
>
> I can't seem to access any stream at all on the USTREAM site, although
> plenty of viewers off-campus are able to access it.

I am able to access streams via the campus full-tunnel VPN, which is
effectively "on-campus."  The link you gave appears to be working, but
the picture is black.

ustream uses akamai to deliver its content.  The closest akamai cluster
to UCB (topologically) is located within CENIC.  It's possible that
there was a problem with akamai that affected only the CENIC cluster.
It's also possible that it was a ustream problem that only manifested
itself on the CENIC cluster.

michael

Re: [Micronet] USTREAM blocked?

Bill Clark
Thanks Michael and everyone else who replied.  The behavior you were
describing (able to access website, but video was black) was what I was
seeing at the time too; I should've provided more details, sorry.

I suspect it was something like what you describe with the Akamai issue,
since we did manage to find a few people off-campus who had the same
issue, and now it seems to be resolved all around.  So thanks again!

-Bill Clark