[Micronet] Use of Drive Notepad, Preview refresh

[Micronet] Use of Drive Notepad, Preview refresh

Richard DeShong-2
Dear Micronet,
I was getting annoyed that the file preview (for a text file) was not showing me the version that I just uploaded, so I used Open with... Drive Notepad.  Since this was the first time I did this, there was the popup box asking me if it was ok for this app to view parts of my profile and, of course, modify files in my drive.

So that's the story which prompts two questions:

1) How do I get Preview to refresh?  In this case, I have a file with one column of several hundred student ID's.  I select Manage revisions and import a new list.  When I double-click the file in Drive, the Preview shows me the old list.  I tried clicking a few other places in Drive and then back to the file, but the old list is still displayed.  It is not until I go back to Manage Revisions, and delete the old revision, that I finally see the new version in Preview.

2) How can we know that a given app is ok to use?  And besides the obvious security point of view, I also mean that an app will not expose my Drive contents to Google scanning.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220

Re: [Micronet] Use of Drive Notepad, Preview refresh

Vivian Sophia
1) If you reload the Google drive page, Preview will also refresh. At least, it worked that way when I tried it. My test was:
a) edited a doc.
b) looked at preview and verified it is out of date
c) reloaded the page and looked at preview again. It is updated.

2) Just one person's opinion --

The only way you can know for sure if a given app is okay is to inspect the code yourself or ask someone you trust to do it. Since such inspection is a time-consuming process, requiring expertise best used on impactful projects, no one on campus offers a service that rigorously inspects miscellaneous apps that people are curious about (and not all apps make their source code available).

The second best way to check an app is to set up testing tools and run it through a series of rigorously design scenarios, checking its behavior as you go. Also a time-consuming process that people on campus are not being paid to engage in for miscellaneous apps that people are curious about.

If you are serious about security, you will minimize your attack surface by refraining from installing miscellaneous applications that you have questions about.

If you are interested in security, but not that interested, you can always spend some time Googling or Binging for security issues with the app that you want to know about. If anything is publicly and widely known about the app in question, you can find it if you spend time looking.

Vivian Sophia
Berkeley IT (CSS)
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
310B Durant Hall
(510) 541-6120

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vivian,
Re 1) Thanks for the refresh tip.  I think I was looking for the [refresh] button, like in the Mail app, so I did not think about the browser refresh.

Re 2) It feels so much like a "wild west" type atmosphere.  Especially since an end user does not need to consult with anyone.