[Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Jon Johnsen
We're a Windows only shop, but several of our more equal users have
asked if we can assist them to remote into their Windows boxes using
their iPads.

It's not entirely clear if what they seek is using an iPad app to
connect using Windows Remote Desktop or actually pulling data from their
Windows office computers to their iPads.

After spending some time using Google, I've found several possibilities,
but almost all of the information is about 18 months old.

Can someone with practical experience suggest an iPad app to accomplish
either or both scenarios?

--
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Hi Jon,

If your users simply wish to access data and it is not restricted then you may want to look at a solution like DropBox. It has a small client for Mac OS X, Windows XP/Vista/7, as well as for iPhones/iPads and will sync any data across the various platforms. I have tested a number of the vnc apps and do not have a favorite at this time. While it may be 'cool' to control a PC/Mac remotely, it is not terribly functional on the current generation of iPads; the screen is too small and using a 'mouse' is a mess.

Regards,
Johnathon

On 9/13/11 7:54 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
We're a Windows only shop, but several of our more equal users have
asked if we can assist them to remote into their Windows boxes using
their iPads.

It's not entirely clear if what they seek is using an iPad app to
connect using Windows Remote Desktop or actually pulling data from their
Windows office computers to their iPads.

After spending some time using Google, I've found several possibilities,
but almost all of the information is about 18 months old.

Can someone with practical experience suggest an iPad app to accomplish
either or both scenarios?

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Work
Hello, We at Facilities Services are experimenting with iPads as well. Our users are connecting to our remote desktop implementation using a 'pay to use' app called 'Itap'. We've had some measure of success with it, save for some interface issues (such as keyboard interface)

We chose Itap because it allows for a secure RDP session via our Gateway.

The app cost around $11 and the added gateway module another $4-5. I know it's a little pricey, but we have found these users willing because it gives their devices a "legitimate" enterprise use, and it keeps them mobile.

Hope this helps

Lawrence

[hidden email].
Cell: (510) 812-0832
Desk: (510) 643-9835

On Sep 13, 2011, at 7:54 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're a Windows only shop, but several of our more equal users have
> asked if we can assist them to remote into their Windows boxes using
> their iPads.
>
> It's not entirely clear if what they seek is using an iPad app to
> connect using Windows Remote Desktop or actually pulling data from their
> Windows office computers to their iPads.
>
> After spending some time using Google, I've found several possibilities,
> but almost all of the information is about 18 months old.
>
> Can someone with practical experience suggest an iPad app to accomplish
> either or both scenarios?
>
> --
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Kevin D. Burney

The PocketCloud client from Wyse does a great job of translating the mouse to the touch interface.  Even right clicking is very usable.  Give it a try.  It is true that on the iPhone the screen is too small and is the biggest limiting factor, but the iPad has plenty of screen real estate to be productive.

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Kin Jung
<base href="x-msg://675/">I've been testing TeamViewer and like it!

Kin

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:53 AM  PDT, Kevin D. Burney wrote:

The PocketCloud client from Wyse does a great job of translating the mouse to the touch interface.  Even right clicking is very usable.  Give it a try.  It is true that on the iPhone the screen is too small and is the biggest limiting factor, but the iPad has plenty of screen real estate to be productive.

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Kevin D. Burney
<base href="x-msg://675/">

Teamviewer is great although it can be quite expensive.  It is my preferred option for cross platform support (Mac/PC), but I haven’t actually used it from an iPad.

Again the licensing to a non-home users can be very expensive.

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Edgar Ortega-2

I concur with Kevin’s PocketCloud experience. I have been using the PocketCloud client for a few months now and really enjoy the mouse implementation that they have designed. It’s the mouse implementation that sold me on the product enough to buy it.

There was a BPAWG meeting where favorite apps were highlighted and I briefly demoed PocketCloud.  In addition to RDP, the client also supports VNC and VMware View.

I haven’t used it on an iPad, but I would assume that its that much better with the extra screen real estate.

Best,

Edgar

The PocketCloud client from Wyse does a great job of translating the mouse to the touch interface.  Even right clicking is very usable.  Give it a try.  It is true that on the iPhone the screen is too small and is the biggest limiting factor, but the iPad has plenty of screen real estate to be productive.

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Jon Johnsen
Thank you for all of your iPad suggestions.

On 9/13/2011 7:54 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:

> We're a Windows only shop, but several of our more equal users have
> asked if we can assist them to remote into their Windows boxes using
> their iPads.
>
> It's not entirely clear if what they seek is using an iPad app to
> connect using Windows Remote Desktop or actually pulling data from their
> Windows office computers to their iPads.
>
> After spending some time using Google, I've found several possibilities,
> but almost all of the information is about 18 months old.
>
> Can someone with practical experience suggest an iPad app to accomplish
> either or both scenarios?

Re: [Micronet] Using an iPad with Windows

Guy D. VINSON
I have experimented with teamviewer which provides a decent interface from both the ipad and iphone...and no I would not want to do a lot of work from either device, but in a pinch it is doable and has saved my bacon at least once.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design