[Micronet] VNC apps for iPad

Mark Ingles
I'd like your recommendations for a VNC app for the iPad to remote into a desktop Mac.
Security, reliability and speed are critical.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Re: [Micronet] VNC apps for iPad

Bill Clark
I haven't actually used the iOS app myself, and haven't even used the
desktop version to connect to a Mac, but I've heard good things about
LogMeIn, and have had good experiences connecting from one Windows desktop
to another.  I've been thinking of (personally) buying the iPad version
(LogMeIn Ignition, $29.99) but don't really have a need for it at the
moment and haven't been able to come up with a suitable excuse... so let
me know if you absolutely need somebody to test it out for you before you
make a purchasing decision.

-Bill Clark
Systems Unit
Graduate Division

> I'd like your recommendations for a VNC app for the iPad to remote into a
> desktop Mac. Security, reliability and speed are critical.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Mark

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] VNC apps for iPad

Paul Au
I currently use logmein for my Ipad as well as my iphone.  There are
some nuances to get use to, and certainly the small screen size makes
things tricky, but overall a very good remote desktop app with high
security and reliability.  You might want to take a look at the app
"jump" which i also use for remote desktop.

paul

Paul Au
Project Manager
Design & Project Management - IST

On 10/27/2010 6:08 PM, Bill Clark wrote:

> I haven't actually used the iOS app myself, and haven't even used the
> desktop version to connect to a Mac, but I've heard good things about
> LogMeIn, and have had good experiences connecting from one Windows desktop
> to another.  I've been thinking of (personally) buying the iPad version
> (LogMeIn Ignition, $29.99) but don't really have a need for it at the
> moment and haven't been able to come up with a suitable excuse... so let
> me know if you absolutely need somebody to test it out for you before you
> make a purchasing decision.
>
> -Bill Clark
> Systems Unit
> Graduate Division
>
>> I'd like your recommendations for a VNC app for the iPad to remote into a
>> desktop Mac. Security, reliability and speed are critical.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mark

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] VNC apps for iPad

Greg Merritt
I've used both VNC and iSSH (which offers both shell and VNC
connections) from my iPod Touch.  iSSH conveniently offers easy
configuration of an SSH tunnel for a bookmarked VNC connection --
effectively the whole "-L localhostport:remotehost:remotehostport"
sort of deal, all by entering the settings in the GUI.

Both work reasonably fine for me, and as about as well as I would
expect from a tiny touch-screen device.  Certainly wouldn't want to
spend a lot of time in either one.