[Micronet] VSphere 5

Luke Rockwell

Does anyone on campus have any contacts for very discounted Vsphere 5 licensing? I have already reached out to Dell for the new server I am buying and they want almost $9k for VSphere 5 licensing

VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts Max 2 processors per host and 144 GB vRAM entitlement $2318.93

Basic Support/Subscription VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 years $1445.38

VMware vSphere Storage Appliance Add-on for vCenter Server 5 Essentials $3092.76

Basic SnS for vSphere vSphere Storage Appliance all vCenter Editions for 3 years $1928.01

Any help on this would be great

Luke Rockwell

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

Harriet Johnson
Luke:

We purchased ours through SHI and CDWG.  Both offer good pricing:

I suggest you contact them for quotes so you can compare:

Paul Cardamone [hidden email]  (866) 776-7414

Amanda Calimano [hidden email]  (800) 535-5210

Harriet

Harriet Johnson
System/Network Administrator, IT Infrastructure
Advancement Operations
University Relations - UC Berkeley
2080 Addison St Ste 305
Berkeley CA  94720

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

Marc Buchalter-2
The University has a system wide agreement with SHI.  You can find it on the
UCOP website
http://www.ucop.edu/purchserv/psa_db/pubregisterindex.php?mode=1&id=258

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Caveat Emptor

Marc Buchalter
Senior Campus Buyer
Procurement Services
University of California
1995 University Avenue, Suite 114
Berkeley, CA  94794-5600

Phone: (510) 642-2579

Does anyone on campus have any contacts for very discounted Vsphere 5
licensing? I have already reached out to Dell for the new server I am buying
and they want almost $9k for VSphere 5 licensing

VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts Max 2 processors per host
and 144 GB vRAM entitlement $2318.93

Basic Support/Subscription VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 years
$1445.38

VMware vSphere Storage Appliance Add-on for vCenter Server 5 Essentials
$3092.76

Basic SnS for vSphere vSphere Storage Appliance all vCenter Editions for 3
years $1928.01

Any help on this would be great

Luke Rockwell

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

Jonathon Taylor-2

Luke,

You may have already considered this, but if not you can take advantage of our ESX hosting service.   The price is currently $629/host/month for dedicated blades in our datacenter.  Each blade includes 192GB of RAM and dual 6-core processors.   Your hosts would be part of our vSphere 5 environment in a dedicated cluster that you have full control over.  You would also have to purchase storage from our storage team, but we would take care of getting it connected for you.    The cost covers hardware upgrades, licensing, and upgrades to vCenter and ESXi as well as 24x7 monitoring and consulting services.  If you want more information check out

Dedicated ESX service

http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/esx

Storage Service

http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/san

VPS Service (shared environment)

http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/virtual-servers

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or want examples of existing customers.

Jonathon Taylor

Systems Administrator

Information Services & Technology

UC Berkeley

510-457-6811

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

Seth Novogrodsky
There's also a system-wide agreement with CDW-G; see
<http://www.ucop.edu/purchserv/psa_db/pubregisterindex.php?mode=1&id=373>.

Seth

On 3/29/2012 10:40 AM, Marc Buchalter wrote:

> The University has a system wide agreement with SHI.  You can find it on the
> UCOP website
> http://www.ucop.edu/purchserv/psa_db/pubregisterindex.php?mode=1&id=258
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Caveat Emptor
>
> Marc Buchalter
> Senior Campus Buyer
> Procurement Services
> University of California
> 1995 University Avenue, Suite 114
> Berkeley, CA  94794-5600
>
> Phone: (510) 642-2579

Seth Novogrodsky, Letters&  Science Computing Resources
http://lscr.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

Forrest St. John Smalley

Just to follow up on Jonathon’s comments. You can price their offering including the storage at http://estimator.berkeley.edu/istcolo.aspx

Re: [Micronet] VSphere 5

David Alan WILLSON

Luke,

Achieving favorable pricing with VMware has been a challenge felt by many throughout the system.  There is an effort underway, led by the UC Technology Acquisition & Support group, to aggregate our demand and negotiate more favorable pricing and terms.

Attached is a message sent to Micronet earlier this month looking for input from the community on identifying existing implementations (we went direct to those we knew) and forward looking demand.  Any additional information, either forward or backward looking, would still be appreciated and should be routed to Kerry Hays (cc’ed above).

Regards,

David Willson, C.P.M., CFA

Manager, Strategic Technology Acquisition

Office of the Chief Information Officer

Does anyone on campus have any contacts for very discounted Vsphere 5 licensing? I have already reached out to Dell for the new server I am buying and they want almost $9k for VSphere 5 licensing

VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts Max 2 processors per host and 144 GB vRAM entitlement $2318.93

Basic Support/Subscription VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 years $1445.38

VMware vSphere Storage Appliance Add-on for vCenter Server 5 Essentials $3092.76

Basic SnS for vSphere vSphere Storage Appliance all vCenter Editions for 3 years $1928.01

Any help on this would be great

Luke Rockwell

With the endorsement of the UC Information Technology Leadership
Council, the UC Technology Acquisition Support (TAS) group is
investigating options to improve the terms and pricing for UC units to
acquire VMware software and maintenance.

The first phase in this process is to determine the UC-wide level of
current and future demand for VMware software and/or maintenance. This
information will provide the best leverage possible in negotiating with
VMware.

If you, or members of your group, plan to acquire any VMWare products in
the coming year, please contact Kerry Hays at [hidden email]. Please
provide as much detail as possible (e.g. Product description, number of
instances, etc.) regarding the VMWare products in which you are interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions or require any additional
information.

Thank you,

Kerry Hays
Software Disrtibution