[Micronet] Watch Out for Some Gb/sec Ethernet Switches

[Micronet] Watch Out for Some Gb/sec Ethernet Switches

Jon Forrest
I've been using budget ethernet switches
(e.g. Netgear, D-Link, Linksys) for years
on 10 and 100 Mb/sec networks with absolutely
no problems. I recently bought a batch
of Netgear GS608v2 Gb/sec switches thinking
that I would enjoy similar success. Boy,
was I wrong!

These switches cause many (but not all) of
those irritating spinning beachballs on
Macs, NFS hangs on NAS servers, and
just poor performance all the way around.
By replacing these with HP ProCurve switches
the vast majority of these problems have
gone away.

I'm not saying that all budget 1Gb/sec
switches should be avoided. I have a couple
of Dlink DGS2205s that seem to work fine.
But, you need to be more careful than
when buying 100 Mb/sec switches.

Cordially,
--