[Micronet] What happens to bmail when UCB emplyee retires

[Micronet] What happens to bmail when UCB emplyee retires

Morteza Faraji
Hi Everyone,

One of my colleagues who just retired asked me about what happens to her bmail account! (She is not interested in email forwarding service)

She`s already received an email stating that her emails will be permanently deleted after the grace period expiration date! I guess that`s the case; However, she is just curious to know whether all her emails will be completely wiped out or will be kept on the servers for specified number of years?

I tried to look up bconnected and UC retirement sites, But I could not find anything on this!

Best Regards,

Thank You.

Morteza Faraji
Software Engineer
Department of Psychology
University of California, Berkeley
3210 Tolman Hall # 1650
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650
Tel: +1 (510) 664-9132
Fax: + 1(510) 642-5293

Re: [Micronet] What happens to bmail when UCB emplyee retires

Bernie Rossi
Hi Morteza,

The Retirement Center has a service for retirees who wish to keep their accounts.

She should write to [hidden email] to ask for information on her account expiring.

Thanks

Bernie

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Morteza Faraji <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One of my colleagues who just retired asked me about what happens to her bmail account! (She is not interested in email forwarding service)

She`s already received an email stating that her emails will be permanently deleted after the grace period expiration date! I guess that`s the case; However, she is just curious to know whether all her emails will be completely wiped out or will be kept on the servers for specified number of years?

I tried to look up bconnected and UC retirement sites, But I could not find anything on this!

Best Regards,

Thank You.

Morteza Faraji
Software Engineer
Department of Psychology
University of California, Berkeley
3210 Tolman Hall # 1650
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28510%29%20664-9132" value="+15106649132" target="_blank">+1 (510) 664-9132
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B%201%28510%29%20642-5293" value="+15106425293" target="_blank">+ 1(510) 642-5293

Re: [Micronet] What happens to bmail when UCB emplyee retires

Charles James

If my understanding is correct I suspect since we moved over to Google mail that even if the campus deletes all this persons mail that the mail itself is still stored in a data system for Google. Google as well as other such enterprises, as I understand it, do not delete anything because there is way too much money to get from selling and using that data. How to get it back if you want it is another story because so far I have not found a way to tap into that data.

Charles
Charles E. James
IST - Administrative IT Solutions
Wk: 510-642-8440
ASG Deputy Email: [hidden email]

Once upon a time, I, Chung Tzu, dreamt I was a butterfly,
fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a
butterfly. I was conscious only of following my fancies as
a butterfly, and was unconscious of my individuality as
a man. Suddenly, I awoke, and there I lay, myself again.
Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming
I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly
dreaming that I am a man. - Chung Tzu
On 4/12/16 4:09 PM, Morteza Faraji wrote:
[...]

Jon Hays
Hi all,

Still traveling to work, so my initial response will be brief. I'll elaborate more once I have access to a full size keyboard.

Simply put, per the terms of our contract with Google, Google can not use or sell our data no matter if the account has been deleted or not.

More soon!

Jon Hays
Service Manager, bConnected

Hi,

ASG Deputy Email: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;calnet_asg-deputies@lists.berkeley.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">calnet_asg-deputies@...

ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;micronet-announce@lists.berkeley.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">micronet-announce@... list.

--

University of California, BerkeleyJon Hays
Service Manager, bConnected Collaboration Services

Re: [Micronet] What happens to bmail when UCB emplyee retires

Jon Hays

Hi All,

As promised, here is a more direct response to Morteza’s original question:

“...she is just curious to know whether all her emails will be completely wiped out or will be kept on the servers for specified number of years?”

Faculty and staff can retain their bConnected Google account by signing up for the Retiree bMail Service.

If a retiree does not sign up for the retiree service, their account will be deactivated. At that point, the retiree should have no expectation of being able to retrieve old email.

To re-affirm my statement earlier in response to Charles’ post, here is our FAQ for “Can Google sell, monetize, or otherwise use my email or data stored with my bConnected Google account?

The agreement that UC Berkeley utilizes for its Google Apps for Education Service (including bMail, bCal, Drive, and others) does not allow for Google use of our data for any purposes other than to fulfill its obligations to deliver the service to us under our agreement.  UC Berkeley does not believe that scanning for the purpose of serving ads anywhere is an allowed use under our agreement.

For more details, please refer to our extensive Google Apps Privacy FAQ. If you have specific questions, feel free to contact us directly at [hidden email]

Best Regards,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Jon Hays <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Wk: <a href="tel:510-642-8440" value="+15106428440" target="_blank">510-642-8440
[...]

Thanks All and specially Jon for your elaborate response!

I am just getting close to a solid answer; so based on the answer on Google Apps Privacy FAQ:

"11. How long does Google keep UC Berkeley’s data?

Google believes that users should have control over their data. Google maintains multiple backup copies of users' content so that Google can recover data and restore accounts in case of errors or system failure. When you ask Google to delete messages and content, Google makes reasonable efforts to remove deleted information from our systems within a commercially reasonable amount of time."

- Does UCB ask them explicitly to delete the account and its related contents after retirement grace period expiration date in case there is no signing-up for the Retiree bMail Service?