[Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

[Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Ocio-Comm Departmental
Hi everyone,

The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT people go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus, industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?

With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go, what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news, whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalie

--------------------
Natalie Kato
OCIO Communications
Office of the Chief Information Officer
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

tedcrum
Besides Micronet, I use the Campus Google search, and sometimes I
find something.

-tc

At 11:00 AM 6/4/2012, OCIO Communications wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT
>people go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary
>resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus,
>industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>
>With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you
>go, what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT
>news, whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>Natalie
>
>--------------------
>Natalie Kato
>OCIO Communications
>Office of the Chief Information Officer
>UC Berkeley
><mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Russell Connacher
For fun and general interest, I subscribe to The Code Project Insider's Daily
Developer News
<http://www.codeproject.com/script/Mailouts/View.aspx?mlid=9571&_z=5428492>

For more technical news, I also subscribe to the weekly InfoQ Newsletter
<http://www.infoq.com/newsletter_sample.html>

--

Russell Connacher
Business Systems Analyst

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Hi Natalie:

Some of the places I visit on a regular basis:

General Tech
http:/engadget.com

Alfresco (the software underlying the Research Hub)

Mac

Mailing lists
UC Berkeley: Micronet
UC Berkeley: WebNet
UC Berkeley: CalNet Developers
UC Berkeley: Security
UC Berkeley: BPAWG
UC Berkeley: OE Updates
UC-wide: UCCSC

I also pick up a fair amount of tech news from the mainstream media, like the San Jose Mercury News and the NY Times.  The Washington Post currently has an interesting special report about cyber warfare going on.  See http://www.washingtonpost.com/zero-day?hpid=z1 for that.

I'm sure there are others, but that covers most of it, at least in terms of IT news.

And yes, I am a bit of a news junkie, why do you ask?

Cheers,

Ian

On Jun 4, 2012, at 11:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:

Hi everyone,

The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT people go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus, industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?

With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go, what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news, whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalie

--------------------
Natalie Kato
OCIO Communications
Office of the Chief Information Officer
UC Berkeley

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Andrew Ring
Industry Related:
        SANS Internet Storm Center https://isc.sans.edu/

        /. http://slashdot.com

        SysAd blog aggregaters: http://planetsysadmin.com/,
http://www.sysadminblogs.com/planet/

-Andrew

On 6/4/12 Monday, June 4, 201211:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT
> people go to get IT news. We understand that Micronet is a primary
> resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus,
> industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>
> With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go,
> what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news,
> whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Natalie
>
> --------------------
> Natalie Kato
> OCIO Communications
> Office of the Chief Information Officer
> UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Jonathan Felder-2
I prefer reddit.com to slashdot these days.

On 6/4/12 11:27 AM, Andrew Ring wrote:

> Industry Related:
> SANS Internet Storm Center https://isc.sans.edu/
>
> /. http://slashdot.com
>
> SysAd blog aggregaters: http://planetsysadmin.com/,
> http://www.sysadminblogs.com/planet/
>

> -Andrew
>
> On 6/4/12 Monday, June 4, 201211:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT
>> people go to get IT news. We understand that Micronet is a primary
>> resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus,
>> industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>>
>> With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go,
>> what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news,
>> whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>
>> Natalie
>>
>> --------------------
>> Natalie Kato
>> OCIO Communications
>> Office of the Chief Information Officer
>> UC Berkeley
>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Antony Ludwik Sucheston
slashdot.org
http://news.cnet.com/
arstechnica.com
http://www.osnews.com/
http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/collectionservices.php/2012/06/01/scp-monthly-update-may-2012
http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/
http://www.frbr.org/
http://radar.oreilly.com/
http://ocfblog.blogspot.com/
techtv.mit.edu/
http://infoserv.inist.fr/
http://ocw.mit.edu
unixjunkie.blogspot.com/
http://www.readwriteweb.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/
http://enews.penton.com/enews/electronicdesign/edupdate/current
https://twitter.com/#!/InternetLaw
https://twitter.com/#!/ubuntu_security
http://www.berkeleylug.com/
http://www.cdlib.org/
https://twitter.com/#!/NASA_Supercomp
https://developers.google.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/RedHatNews
https://twitter.com/#!/OakRidgeLabNews
https://twitter.com/#!/OReillyMedia
https://twitter.com/#!/CalDigLib

On 6/4/2012 11:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:
Hi everyone,

The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT people go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus, industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?

With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go, what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news, whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalie

--------------------
Natalie Kato
OCIO Communications
Office of the Chief Information Officer
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Aaron Russo
I have found Reddit to be a great source of dialogue, when you know
where to look.  Since going to reddit.com can quickly get you lost in
"junk", here are some of the more useful ones I've found:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin
http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec
http://www.reddit.com/r/linuxadmin
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux
http://www.reddit.com/r/windows
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology
http://www.reddit.com/r/apple
http://www.reddit.com/r/google
http://www.reddit.com/r/berkeley
http://www.reddit.com/r/database
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews
http://www.reddit.com/r/universityofreddit

Aaron

On 6/4/12 11:33 AM, Jonathan Felder wrote:

> I prefer reddit.com to slashdot these days.
>
> On 6/4/12 11:27 AM, Andrew Ring wrote:
>> Industry Related:
>> SANS Internet Storm Center https://isc.sans.edu/
>>
>> /. http://slashdot.com
>>
>> SysAd blog aggregaters: http://planetsysadmin.com/,
>> http://www.sysadminblogs.com/planet/
>>

>> -Andrew
>>
>> On 6/4/12 Monday, June 4, 201211:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT
>>> people go to get IT news. We understand that Micronet is a primary
>>> resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus,
>>> industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>>>
>>> With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go,
>>> what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news,
>>> whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> Natalie
>>>
>>> --------------------
>>> Natalie Kato
>>> OCIO Communications
>>> Office of the Chief Information Officer
>>> UC Berkeley
>>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Aaron Russo
IST Unix

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

gartim

lwn.net (linux news).

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 11:00:57AM -0700, OCIO Communications wrote:

>   Hi everyone,
>   The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT people
>   go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary resource for
>   campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus, industry-related
>   information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>   With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go,
>   what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news,
>   whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>   Thank you in advance for your help.
>   Natalie
>   --------------------
>   Natalie Kato
>   OCIO Communications
>   Office of the Chief Information Officer
>   UC Berkeley
>   [1][hidden email]
>
>References
>
>   Visible links
>   1. mailto:[hidden email]

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Antony Sucheston

https://twitter.com/#%21/Oracle

On 6/4/2012 11:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:
Hi everyone,

The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT people go to get IT news.  We understand that Micronet is a primary resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus, industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?

With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go, what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news, whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalie

--------------------
Natalie Kato
OCIO Communications
Office of the Chief Information Officer
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Lisa Ho
EDUCAUSE constituent and discussion groups for higher ed IT issues:

--
Lisa Ho
IT Policy Manager

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Marilyn Saarni-2
I follow most of the lists that Ian has here--and plant to check out the first two which I don't follow.  (Yes, I too am a news junkie.)

For mainstream, NY Times is primary.  When I could afford the Financial Times, it had great tech stories, often in greater depth than other news sources, and in language that I could understand well, even when concepts were complex.  Also, they did fantastic analysis on international trends.  I mention it because it was uniquely valuable for big picture-to-fine-detail reporting, unmatched in the US.

- Marilyn

On Jun 4, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Ian Crew wrote:

[...]

Michael Chung

http://www.techmeme.com

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management

[hidden email] | 510-643-3887

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Most of my resources are technical, such as the the WinHied list,
Usenix, and many of the others mentioned already. I do find it useful to
monitor general news sources (the BBC (naturally 8-) ), SFGate, other
local news) to see what the general user population is being fed. It is
sometimes hard to recognise an issue from the reporting...

There is a great bit of advice in The Practice of System and Network
Administration (Limoncelli, Hogan, and Chalup, Addison-Wesley) to try to
unsubscribe from at last one list per week!

Graham

On 6/4/2012 11:00 AM, OCIO Communications wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The campus CIO's office is taking a poll regarding where campus IT
> people go to get IT news. We understand that Micronet is a primary
> resource for campus IT info, but where do you go for non-campus,
> industry-related information, or IT news specific to higher education?
>
> With a reply to this email, would you please share with us where you go,
> what websites you monitor, or what feeds you subscribe to for IT news,
> whether it is industry-related or specific to higher education?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Natalie
>
> --------------------
> Natalie Kato
> OCIO Communications
> Office of the Chief Information Officer
> UC Berkeley

Graham Patterson, System Administrator
Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Where do you get your IT news?

Hilary Schiraldi
Here's a link you can use to access the full-text of Financial Times via the Library's subscription:
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/InfoWeb?p_product=AWNB&p_theme=aggregated5&p_action=explore&d_place=FINB

--
Hilary Schiraldi
Head