[Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

Charles James
Hi, Micronetters:

Can you recommend a solid, strong signal/distance, wifi router?

Charles

Charles E. James
IST - Administrative IT Solutions
Operations/Release Management/CalNet Deputy
Wk: 510-642-8440
ASG Deputy Email: [hidden email]

"The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing; it refuses nothing;
it receives, but does not keep." ~ Chung-Tzu

Re: [Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

John McChesney-Young
I can't recommend anything in particular personally, but Lifehacker
had a piece on wireless routers recently:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-best-home-wi-fi-routers

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

Jay Bryon
Of the aforementioned list, my #1 pick would be the Buffalo Technology AirStation N600 Gigabit Dual Band DD-WRT Wireless Router.  I have two, very stable.

I trust this is not for use on campus...

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't recommend anything in particular personally, but Lifehacker
had a piece on wireless routers recently:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-best-home-wi-fi-routers

John

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Charles James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Micronetters:
>
> Can you recommend a solid, strong signal/distance, wifi router?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire
"Think think think"
-Winnie the Pooh
[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

Jack Burris
I am a very happy owner of the ASUS RT-AC66U.

Here's why:
  • external antennas - actually not just external, but removeable.  This allows me to use other antennas (I usually build my own, as I have for years, that work much better).  If you need to hide your router and just have the antennas exposed, you can do that with a bit of handy work and coax cable and connectors.
  • well-done admin interface - I can control pretty much every aspect of my network from the admin control interface.  it's intuitive for beginners yet has the advanced features *I* need.
  • actively developed and supported - both ASUS as well as the wider router mod community are quite active around this device.
If you want to go beyond the consumer-level product chain, I would suggest Ubiquiti routers (also actively developed, supported, good price, and great tool-set built-in).

Thanks,
Jack Burris
D-Lab
Tech Team Lead

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Jay BRYON <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of the aforementioned list, my #1 pick would be the Buffalo Technology AirStation N600 Gigabit Dual Band DD-WRT Wireless Router.  I have two, very stable.

I trust this is not for use on campus...

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't recommend anything in particular personally, but Lifehacker
had a piece on wireless routers recently:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-best-home-wi-fi-routers

John

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Charles James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Micronetters:
>
> Can you recommend a solid, strong signal/distance, wifi router?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire
"Think think think"
-Winnie the Pooh
[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

----------------------------

“The struggle of the people versus power is the struggle of memory versus forgetting.” ― Milan Kundera

Re: [Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

Dustin Li
+1. We used a large variety of wifi gear in the Philippines disaster response, and Ubiquiti was the most reliable (and had excellent range). The downside is that their 802.11ac line is quite expensive, although the 802.11n gear is affordable. Also, they use non-standard PoE, but most people don't care.

Dustin

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Jack BURRIS <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am a very happy owner of the ASUS RT-AC66U.

Here's why:
  • external antennas - actually not just external, but removeable.  This allows me to use other antennas (I usually build my own, as I have for years, that work much better).  If you need to hide your router and just have the antennas exposed, you can do that with a bit of handy work and coax cable and connectors.
  • well-done admin interface - I can control pretty much every aspect of my network from the admin control interface.  it's intuitive for beginners yet has the advanced features *I* need.
  • actively developed and supported - both ASUS as well as the wider router mod community are quite active around this device.
If you want to go beyond the consumer-level product chain, I would suggest Ubiquiti routers (also actively developed, supported, good price, and great tool-set built-in).

Thanks,
Jack Burris
D-Lab
Tech Team Lead

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Jay BRYON <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of the aforementioned list, my #1 pick would be the Buffalo Technology AirStation N600 Gigabit Dual Band DD-WRT Wireless Router.  I have two, very stable.

I trust this is not for use on campus...

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't recommend anything in particular personally, but Lifehacker
had a piece on wireless routers recently:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-best-home-wi-fi-routers

John

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Charles James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Micronetters:
>
> Can you recommend a solid, strong signal/distance, wifi router?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511" target="_blank">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185" target="_blank">1-510-643-2185

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire
"Think think think"
-Winnie the Pooh
[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

----------------------------

“The struggle of the people versus power is the struggle of memory versus forgetting.” ― Milan Kundera

Re: [Micronet] WiFi Router Recommendations

Bruce Satow
Awesomeness!   I have the Asus RT-AC68U as my main router and the Asus NT-12 setup as a repeater at home and they are both rock solid.

Bruce Satow
Systems Administrator
  University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory