[Micronet] Windows 8

Bruce Satow
Has anyone downloaded and installed Windows 8 from SHI yet?
Our current campus product code for Windows don't seem to work for the installation.
If anyone knows what it is (CUTAT folks) can you send it to me?

Many thanks,
Bruce

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Luke Rockwell
Bruce,

Do you have hardware that will run windows 8?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone downloaded and installed Windows 8 from SHI yet?
Our current campus product code for Windows don't seem to work for the installation.
If anyone knows what it is (CUTAT folks) can you send it to me?

Many thanks,
Bruce

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

Luke Rockwell
Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252

140 Years of Alumni Excellence
Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Bruce Satow
No touch screen, but playing with the release version.  Just running it in a virtual machine and testing usability.  Lots of keyboard combos and weird mouse utilization if you don't have a touch screen.  Some staff people  (Engineers and Researchers)  are already asking me about it, so I have to be prepared to answer their usability and compatibility questions.

Vendors like Solidworks (3D CAD) are already coming out with Solidworks 2013 which support Windows 8 64 bit and eliminating Windows XP compatibility.

Lots to learn and prepare for....

-Bruce

On 10/26/2012 10:30 AM, Luke Rockwell wrote:
[...]

Facebook | LinkedIn

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Lucy Greco

Hello:

I have been slow in prepping for windows 8 but boy I am in trouble on this one

You think you have lots to learn you should try it with jaws. Losing the start menu is going to be tuff. The little I have seen means that its going to be even easier to get lost and not know wear anything is

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Greg Merritt

On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Bruce Satow wrote:

>  Lots of keyboard combos and weird mouse utilization if you don't have a touch screen.

Pogue has written up some tips:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/a-windows-8-cheat-sheet/

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Allison Henry

FYI, as an update from Symantec, the release of Windows 8 compatible
SEP12 RU2 has been postponed due to a "late breaking quality problem".
The revised release date is November 6th. If you need AV software for
Windows 8 in the meantime, I would suggest the Microsoft AV products
(Forefront, re-branded as System Center Endpoint Protection), covered
by our campus Microsoft license agreement.

- --
Allison Henry
System and Network Security
University of California, Berkeley
http://security.berkeley.edu

On 10/26/2012 10:27 AM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> Has anyone downloaded and installed Windows 8 from SHI yet? Our
> current campus product code for Windows don't seem to work for the
> installation. If anyone knows what it is (CUTAT folks) can you send
> it to me?
>
> Many thanks, Bruce
>
> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space
> Sciences Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
> 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Michael Chung
Hi All,

In case folks were not aware, [for unmanaged workstations] Windows 8 includes an updated version of Windows Defender which offers the same anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials (1). For what it's worth, the core engine in Security Essentials is the same as that used in Forefront System Center Endpoint Protection (2).

Michael

(1) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
(2) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

tedcrum
Is Defender licensed for enterprise use?

Ted Crum

At 11:32 AM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>In case folks were not aware, [for unmanaged workstations] Windows 8
>includes an updated version of Windows Defender which offers the
>same anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security
>Essentials (1). For what it's worth, the core engine in Security
>Essentials is the same as that used in Forefront System Center
>Endpoint Protection (2).
>
>Michael
>
>(1) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
>(2)
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Michael Chung
Hi Ted,

Given Defender is integrated into the operating system, my understanding is that licensed as part of the OS, the same way Internet Explorer or Hyper-V  (now included with Windows 8) would be covered for enterprise use.

Is Defender licensed for enterprise use?

Ted Crum

At 11:32 AM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>In case folks were not aware, [for unmanaged workstations] Windows 8
>includes an updated version of Windows Defender which offers the same
>anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials
>(1). For what it's worth, the core engine in Security Essentials is the
>same as that used in Forefront System Center Endpoint Protection (2).
>
>Michael
>
>(1)
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
>(2)
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-prot
>ection-2012.aspx

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

David Alan WILLSON
This is correct.  Campus is licensed for OS upgrades which includes Windows
8 inclusive of its various components.

David Willson, CPSM, CFA
Manager, Strategic Technology Acquisition
Office of the Chief Information Officer

Given Defender is integrated into the operating system, my understanding is
that licensed as part of the OS, the same way Internet Explorer or Hyper-V
(now included with Windows 8) would be covered for enterprise use.

Is Defender licensed for enterprise use?

Ted Crum

At 11:32 AM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>In case folks were not aware, [for unmanaged workstations] Windows 8
>includes an updated version of Windows Defender which offers the same
>anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials
>(1). For what it's worth, the core engine in Security Essentials is the
>same as that used in Forefront System Center Endpoint Protection (2).
>
>Michael
>
>(1)
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
>(2)
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-prot
>ection-2012.aspx

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Jon Johnsen
And Windows 8 and Office 2013 will become available when?
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357
On 10/29/2012 1:47 PM, David Willson wrote:
[...]

[hidden email] [hidden email] (510)
[...]

Hi Jon,

Windows 8 has been available for Volume License customers with Software Assurance (SA) since August 15. If you had Windows licensed with SA as part of a MCCA agreement, you should have had access to the software at that point.

Office 2013 has gone RTM, but it is not yet available. It will be available to MSDN/TechNet subscribers and VL customers with SA sometime in November from my understanding.

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management

[hidden email] | 510-643-3887

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

tedcrum
Thanks, Michael.

Previous versions of Windows Defender were a free download, but the
fine print said that enterprises had to pay. They've shuffled the
lineup, and now it's Microsoft Security Essentials that is free to
10-PC organizations.

I also see that there is a specialized malware recovery tool, Windows
Defender Offline, that is part of the Diagnostic and recovery Toolset
(DaRT.) The original DaRT was built around Sysinternals' ERD
Commander, and I got a lot of work done with the demo version,
especially the CD-boot system restore that became part of Vista and Win7.

Does our current contract now give us access to DaRT (It has ever
been for enterprise customers only), and if so how do we get it?

-Ted Crum

At 01:40 PM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi Ted,
>
>Given Defender is integrated into the operating system, my
>understanding is that licensed as part of the OS, the same way
>Internet Explorer or Hyper-V  (now included with Windows 8) would be
>covered for enterprise use.

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

David Alan WILLSON

Bruce,

Good afternoon!  You can request Microsoft keys for institution owned devices at [hidden email].   Please have your department Faculty/Manager/MSO/Director send email with

  • MICROSOFT DEPT IT in the subject line
  • department name and authorizer
  • names and email addresses of persons to be granted access
  • list of product keys requested
  • estimated number of machines on which you intend to install, by platform (e.g., 20 Macs and 56 PCs)

This information as well as details on how to fulfill for personal devices can be found at:  http://ist.berkeley.edu/software-central/microsoft

Regards,

David Willson, CPSM, CFA

Manager, Strategic Technology Acquisition

Office of the Chief Information Officer

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

Michael Chung
Hi Ted--happy to help. Thank you to David Wilson for confirming what I thought as well.

With regards to Windows Defender--I'm pretty sure it's been an integrated component of Windows since Vista. Security Essentials is a great solution for organizations that fall within the 10-PC licensing limit and do not need (cannot afford) the licensing costs of System Center Endpoint Protection. In fact, the latest version of Security Essentials can be installed on Windows Server as well (previous versions would did not allow installation on Windows Server).

The Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Package (MDOP) (1). Depending on your previous licensing agreements with Microsoft, you might have been licensed for the MDOP in the past. I just looked at specific line items in Haas's MCCA renewal for 2012 and my records show that The Desktop Optimization Pack for SA Subscription for Windows SA is not included in the recently negotiated Microsoft Site License for campus. We added this as an option in our MCCA 2012 renewal. David Wilson would need to confirm this, but to access MDOP, you would also need to add this option based on your FTE count.

(1) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/mdop/dart.aspx

Cheers,

Michael Chung
Systems Administrator
Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management
[hidden email] | 510-643-3887

Previous versions of Windows Defender were a free download, but the fine print said that enterprises had to pay. They've shuffled the lineup, and now it's Microsoft Security Essentials that is free to 10-PC organizations.

I also see that there is a specialized malware recovery tool, Windows Defender Offline, that is part of the Diagnostic and recovery Toolset
(DaRT.) The original DaRT was built around Sysinternals' ERD Commander, and I got a lot of work done with the demo version, especially the CD-boot system restore that became part of Vista and Win7.

Does our current contract now give us access to DaRT (It has ever been for enterprise customers only), and if so how do we get it?

-Ted Crum

At 01:40 PM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi Ted,
>
>Given Defender is integrated into the operating system, my
>understanding is that licensed as part of the OS, the same way Internet
>Explorer or Hyper-V  (now included with Windows 8) would be covered for
>enterprise use.

Re: [Micronet] Windows 8

David Alan WILLSON
Michael is correct that Microsoft Desktop Optimization Package (MDOP) is not
included in the campus site license and would need to be licensed
separately, most likely under the MCCA.  Like most MCCA desktop offerings,
MDOP needs to be licensed based on your unit's FTE count (using Microsoft's
FTE formula).

David Willson, CPSM, CFA
Manager, Strategic Technology Acquisition
Office of the Chief Information Officer

Previous versions of Windows Defender were a free download, but the fine
print said that enterprises had to pay. They've shuffled the lineup, and now
it's Microsoft Security Essentials that is free to 10-PC organizations.

I also see that there is a specialized malware recovery tool, Windows
Defender Offline, that is part of the Diagnostic and recovery Toolset
(DaRT.) The original DaRT was built around Sysinternals' ERD Commander, and
I got a lot of work done with the demo version, especially the CD-boot
system restore that became part of Vista and Win7.

Does our current contract now give us access to DaRT (It has ever been for
enterprise customers only), and if so how do we get it?

-Ted Crum

At 01:40 PM 10/29/2012, Michael Chung wrote:

>Hi Ted,
>
>Given Defender is integrated into the operating system, my
>understanding is that licensed as part of the OS, the same way Internet
>Explorer or Hyper-V  (now included with Windows 8) would be covered for
>enterprise use.

visit the Micronet Web site: