[Micronet] Windows Reference Material

Charles James
Hi, Windows Guru's:

If you had to recommend to someone a book or reference that would give them the fundamentals of administering a windows server, what would you recommend. Assume this is a person who has no experience or background working with windows both desktop and server.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles E. James
IST - Administrative IT Solutions
Operations/Release Management/CalNet Deputy
Wk: 510-642-8440
ASG Deputy Email: [hidden email]

"The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing; it refuses nothing;
it receives, but does not keep." ~ Chung-Tzu

Re: [Micronet] Windows Reference Material

Robert Hiramoto
Hi Charles,

The author I would highly recommend most would be Mark Minasi - the  "Mastering Windows" series.

He really explains things in clear language, and uses many real world scenarios.

Take care,
-Robert

"Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something."

On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:17 AM, Charles James <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Windows Guru's:

If you had to recommend to someone a book or reference that would give them the fundamentals of administering a windows server, what would you recommend. Assume this is a person who has no experience or background working with windows both desktop and server.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles E. James
IST - Administrative IT Solutions
Operations/Release Management/CalNet Deputy
Wk: 510-642-8440
ASG Deputy Email: [hidden email]

"The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing; it refuses nothing;
it receives, but does not keep." ~ Chung-Tzu

Re: [Micronet] Windows Reference Material

Jon Forrest-3

On 8/27/2014 8:43 AM, Robert Hiramoto wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> The author I would highly recommend most would be Mark Minasi - the
>   "Mastering Windows" series.
>
> He really explains things in clear language, and uses many real world
> scenarios.

He's pretty good, but he's very verbose, which is why his Windows
server books are so large, e.g. 1704 pages for his latest Server 2012
book.

I haven't read his latest books, but his earlier books had
a surprising number of small errors.

Jon Forrest
UCB (ret.)