[Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

[Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Phyllis Orrick
Hello Micronet,

Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to me. And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.

Best,

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Orrick
Skype: pmorrick

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Dale Engle
Hello Phyllis,

You can use Google Drive in the same way you use Dropbox if you install the Mac or PC client:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2490101

Dale

On 11/20/2012 10:05 AM, Phyllis Orrick wrote:
Hello Micronet,

Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to me. And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.

Best,

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Orrick
Skype: pmorrick

Dale Engle
Senior Data Warehouse Developer
UC Berkeley, Information Services and Technology

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Aaron DuBois
Do you mean edit them online through a browser window? Do you mean you
would need to use the drive as storage only?  To edit you would have to
save a local copy and open in Word, then upload again to keep it in the
online storage space?

I can see this as being the way it will be(Google is Google, MS is MS),
but this will need to be very much advertised as storage space only if
that's the case. Use of google docs is not going to work for the bulk of
published faculty as publishers tend to require submitted work to be in
Word format.

There will be quite the rage storm going on if faculty are lead to think
that upload docs will be Word format and editable online, when they are
not. And loss of formatting will not be acceptable for them if there is
any back and forth.

On 11/20/2012 10:05 AM, Phyllis Orrick wrote:

> Hello Micronet,
>
> Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google
> drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert
> them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to
> me. And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose
> formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.
>
> Best,
>
> Phyllis
>

> --
> Phyllis Orrick
> Communications Director
> Safe Transportation Research and Education Center
> <http://www.safetrec.berkeley.edu/> (SafeTREC)
> University of California Transportation Center <http://www.uctc.net/> (UCTC)
> Institute for Urban and Regional Development
> <http://www.iurd.berkeley.edu/> (IURD)
> California Active Transportation Safety Information Pages
> <http://catsip.berkeley.edu/> (CATSIP)
> 2614 Dwight Way
> UC Berkeley
> Berkeley CA 94720-7374
> 510-643-1779
> @transsafe <https://twitter.com/#!/transsafe>
> @californiaUTC <https://twitter.com/#!/CaliforniaUTC>
> @IURDBerkeley <https://twitter.com/#!/IURDBerkeley>
> @trbhealth <https://twitter.com/#!/trbhealth>
> Skype: pmorrick

Aaron DuBois CRSII
Sociology Department
489 Barrows Hall
510-643-9389
Mon-Fri 8:30-2:30 or by appointment

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Noah N Bacon
Good morning,

I'm the Application Support Center representative that confirmed this behavior after working with Phyllis. As she noted, enabling auto convert under the Upload Settings menu in the bDrive interface appears to be the only way to allow .docx and .doc files created in Microsoft Word 2010 to be editable in the bDrive web app, as otherwise they'll be read only. After researching the issue further, if the same files are uploaded and shared through the desktop application, they'll open in Word 2010 and thus be editable (though some critical aspects of Google Drive's collaborative functionality may not be present).

Its a trade off between simply sharing a file or having it online for live editing via the bDrive web interface.

Noah Bacon
Application Support Center
University of California, Berkeley
Ph: (510) 642-8500 opt 2. opt 2. for bConnected

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Phyllis Orrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronet,

Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to me. And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.

Best,

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Orrick
Skype: pmorrick

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Graham Patterson

Is there not also a quota issue with non-Google native docs?

If you need to have MS-Office docs (or other non-Google formats) on
Drive, you need to consider your storage needs/document management
processes.

Google Drive seems a good option for: intra-campus collaboration and
selective off-campus collaboration using Google Docs; caching current
documents in non-Google format.

Box.net is better for larger storage needs for arbitrary files, with
limited sharing needs.

Research Hub and CalShare provide better document management workflow
and possibly easier permissions controls. Some non-CalNet access as
well. CalShare lends itself to having an administrator manage access,
most of the others are individually managed.

And, for the moment at least, some departments have managed file servers
for doing collaboration.

I'm deliberately leaving out non-campus services, and security
considerations.

Looks like a lot of ad-hoc sharing going on, however you look at it.

Graham

On 11/20/12 10:58 AM, Noah N Bacon wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I'm the Application Support Center representative that confirmed this
> behavior after working with Phyllis. As she noted, enabling auto convert
> under the Upload Settings menu in the bDrive interface appears to be the
> only way to allow .docx and .doc files created in Microsoft Word 2010 to be
> editable in the bDrive web app, as otherwise they'll be read only. After
> researching the issue further, if the same files are uploaded and shared
> through the desktop application, they'll open in Word 2010 and thus be
> editable (though some critical aspects of Google Drive's collaborative
> functionality may not be present).
>
> Its a trade off between simply sharing a file or having it online for live
> editing via the bDrive web interface.
>
> *Noah Bacon*
> Application Support Center
> University of California, Berkeley
> Ph: (510) 642-8500 opt 2. opt 2. for bConnected
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Phyllis Orrick <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello Micronet,
>>
>> Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google
>> drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert
>> them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to me.
>> And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose
>> formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Phyllis

[...]

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Kathleen Valerio
Google Drive and Docs - works best primarily as a collaborative space.
Where the focus is on collaboration and conversation; It's a dynamic medium that's design for collecting and reviewing input - it's more like an on-line live chat or ready-talk meeting where everyone can participate on developing the "content" of a message or document without having to physically be in the same room or time zone.

On the other hand - if you need to discuss the layout or formatting of a document you are better off sticking with non-Google applications such as Adobe or Microsoft products.  The applications were designed with the intent of producing a printed document and are therefore stronger at formatting and creating a finished document intended to live in hard copy.

No doubt, with time and practice we'll figure out the nuances of when to use which application.

Have a good turkey day.

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator &
Data Compliance Manager
Center for Organization & Workforce Effectiveness (COrWE)
192 University Hall
2199 Addison St.
Berkeley, CA 94720-3548

Ph 510 643-0452
[hidden email]

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Phyllis Orrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronet,

Thanks to the persistence of IST support staff, I've learned that Google drive will not let you edit .docx or .doc documents unless you convert them to Google documents. Perhaps this is old hat, but it was news to me. And when you export them as .docx (Google's option), you can lose formatting. Another reason for dropbox to exist, I guess.

Best,

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Orrick
Skype: pmorrick

Re: [Micronet] Word documents in Google drive

Michael LEEFERS

Another option for collaborating on .docx , .xlsx  and .pptx files using an Office Client or Via a web interface would be CalShare.berkeley.edu.  CalShare has Office Web Apps in SharePoint 2010 installed.  Other file types can be stored in CalShare too, but currently only those three file types are supported as Web Applications.

Michael