[Micronet] Xerox Work Center Error

Luke Rockwell
I dont know how many Xerox Work centers exist on campus but I came across the article and thought people should know

Luke

Re: [Micronet] Xerox Work Center Error

John McChesney-Young
I discovered this morning from Ars Technica that the Xerox news has
hit the mainstream tech press.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/confused-photocopiers-randomly-rewriting-scanned-documents/

I took some comfort from this comment:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/confused-photocopiers-randomly-rewriting-scanned-documents/?comments=1&post=25041521#comment-25041521

"I've contacted the researcher and pointed out on our affected device
that I can replicate the problem with, that this only happens when the
image quality is set to 'Normal' (the lowest setting). When set to
this level a specific warning does state that 'character substitution'
may occur. Why anyone at Xerox thought this was acceptable in any form
for a scanner is beyond me.

"But when the device is set to either of the next two higher levels,
'High' and 'Highest' respectively, the warning is not displayed and
through testing we've confirmed the character substitution does not
take place."

***

Our WorkCentre, a 5755, does not warn about character substitution at
that lowest compression setting on the machine's display, but it does
on p. 32 of the user manual
(http://www.cs.unc.edu/cms/help/help-articles/files/xerox-copier-user-guide.pdf);
our machine came set at highest quality by default. Interestingly, I
just did three test scans of the same thing and highest quality was
296K, high was 288K, and normal was 155K. Less than 3% difference
between the highest and middle, and almost 50% between the highest and
lowest.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020