[Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Greg Merritt
I've been on campus for a while now.  I go to various campus-wide IT
and business-systems meetings from time to time, as do many of you.

Seems that often as not, meetings that expect to have, say, twenty to
fifty people are held in 60 Barrows.

Is that like the most dreary meeting room ever?  Might it be the least-
desirable meeting room of its size on campus, leaving its availability
more open than other similarly-sized rooms?

Or is it just me? :)

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Patrick Schmitz
You do not love The Pit?!  I know of few worse spaces on campus.

Edgar Ortega
Maybe its just me but 60 Barrows has nothing on 150 University Hall or the
basement training rooms there.
When compared directly with the UHall alternatives, 60 Barrows is a much
better alternative for me and has way better lighting, albeit not natural
which is probably what adds to that dreary feeling.

-Edgar

I've been on campus for a while now.  I go to various campus-wide IT
and business-systems meetings from time to time, as do many of you.

Seems that often as not, meetings that expect to have, say, twenty to
fifty people are held in 60 Barrows.

Is that like the most dreary meeting room ever?  Might it be the least-
desirable meeting room of its size on campus, leaving its availability
more open than other similarly-sized rooms?

Or is it just me? :)

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

James Kent Dudek
Greg,

Having chaired BPAWG for near 6 years now, I can say that while I agree,
it must be noted that there are not many options on campus for staff to
reserve to host a crowd that size.   You can try your luck with
classroom scheduling, but there is always the threat that the room may
be pulled for an urgent academic need.   So while I would love a room
with a sweeping view of the bay, I have come to appreciate 60 Barrows
---a clean, well-lighted place with good airbears and two ethernet
connections at either side of the room.   And those nice tables and chairs.

Best,

James

On 5/13/2011 9:42 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> I've been on campus for a while now.  I go to various campus-wide IT
> and business-systems meetings from time to time, as do many of you.
>
> Seems that often as not, meetings that expect to have, say, twenty to
> fifty people are held in 60 Barrows.
>
> Is that like the most dreary meeting room ever?  Might it be the least-
> desirable meeting room of its size on campus, leaving its availability
> more open than other similarly-sized rooms?
>
> Or is it just me? :)
>
> -Greg

James Kent Dudek
Business Systems Analyst
Student Affairs
2 Hearst Gym
University of California, Berkeley
510.501.3712
AIM:  JamesKentDudek
Skype:  james.kent.dudek

Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)

Video archive: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bpawg-at-berkeley
bSpace archive: visit https://bspace.berkeley.edu and look for BPAWG
website: http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Michael O'Hare
http://www.samefacts.com/2011/05/economics/why-do-we-undercapitalize-white-c
ollar-workers/

Having chaired BPAWG for near 6 years now, I can say that while I agree,
it must be noted that there are not many options on campus for staff to
reserve to host a crowd that size.   You can try your luck with
classroom scheduling, but there is always the threat that the room may
be pulled for an urgent academic need.   So while I would love a room
with a sweeping view of the bay, I have come to appreciate 60 Barrows
---a clean, well-lighted place with good airbears and two ethernet
connections at either side of the room.   And those nice tables and chairs.

Best,

James

On 5/13/2011 9:42 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> I've been on campus for a while now.  I go to various campus-wide IT
> and business-systems meetings from time to time, as do many of you.
>
> Seems that often as not, meetings that expect to have, say, twenty to
> fifty people are held in 60 Barrows.
>
> Is that like the most dreary meeting room ever?  Might it be the least-
> desirable meeting room of its size on campus, leaving its availability
> more open than other similarly-sized rooms?
>
> Or is it just me? :)
>
> -Greg

visit the Micronet Web site:

--
James Kent Dudek
Business Systems Analyst
Student Affairs
2 Hearst Gym
University of California, Berkeley
510.501.3712
AIM:  JamesKentDudek
Skype:  james.kent.dudek

Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)

Video archive: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bpawg-at-berkeley
bSpace archive: visit https://bspace.berkeley.edu and look for BPAWG
website: http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Greg Merritt
How interesting!

Aside from the odd shape of 150 U. Hall, I personally prefer its soft
lighting, windowed wall, and fresh air. :)

-Greg

On May 13, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Edgar Ortega wrote:

> Maybe its just me but 60 Barrows has nothing on 150 University Hall
> or the
> basement training rooms there.
> When compared directly with the UHall alternatives, 60 Barrows is a
> much
> better alternative for me and has way better lighting, albeit not
> natural
> which is probably what adds to that dreary feeling.
>
> -Edgar

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Greg Merritt
Ahhh, some data:

http://ist-staff.berkeley.edu/ist-buildings/building-facilities/conference
http://ist-staff.berkeley.edu/ist-buildings/building-facilities/other-rooms

Looks like there is a wide range of cost, availability, and whatnot
for meeting rooms on campus.

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Liz Marsh
All--
FYI, we did put some money into improving 60 Barrows a few years back,
resulting in the new tables, chairs and lighting.  We are now putting in a
couple additional improvements - a mounted LCD projector, new screen,
sound system and webcasting capability. The new projector and screen are
scheduled to be installed by next week, and the sound/webcasting equipment
to be added sometime next month.

While these improvements don't make up for the lack of sweeping views or
fresh air, hopefully they will make the space more useful.

Liz

On Fri, May 13, 2011 9:47 am, James Kent Dudek wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Having chaired BPAWG for near 6 years now, I can say that while I agree,
> it must be noted that there are not many options on campus for staff to
> reserve to host a crowd that size.   You can try your luck with
> classroom scheduling, but there is always the threat that the room may
> be pulled for an urgent academic need.   So while I would love a room
> with a sweeping view of the bay, I have come to appreciate 60 Barrows
> ---a clean, well-lighted place with good airbears and two ethernet
> connections at either side of the room.   And those nice tables and
> chairs.
>
> Best,
>
> James
>

> On 5/13/2011 9:42 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:
>> I've been on campus for a while now.  I go to various campus-wide IT
>> and business-systems meetings from time to time, as do many of you.
>>
>> Seems that often as not, meetings that expect to have, say, twenty to
>> fifty people are held in 60 Barrows.
>>
>> Is that like the most dreary meeting room ever?  Might it be the least-
>> desirable meeting room of its size on campus, leaving its availability
>> more open than other similarly-sized rooms?
>>
>> Or is it just me? :)
>>
>> -Greg

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>

> --
> James Kent Dudek
> Business Systems Analyst
> Student Affairs
> 2 Hearst Gym
> University of California, Berkeley
> 510.501.3712
> AIM:  JamesKentDudek
> Skype:  james.kent.dudek
>

> Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)
>
> Video archive: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bpawg-at-berkeley
> bSpace archive: visit https://bspace.berkeley.edu and look for BPAWG
> website: http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Liz

Re: [Micronet] any love for 60 Barrows?

Greg Merritt
Cool, yeah!  Much appreciated. :)