[Micronet] any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

[Micronet] any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Benjamin Darmoni
Dear Micronet users,

We need to buy a projector for GRAD. DIV.
Our need is for a high resolution  projector
1280x800 or better (on a low budget).
Thanks for your help.
Benjamin.
--
Benjamin Darmoni.
Phone (510) 643-3106

Re: [Micronet] any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Ian Crew
We got an Epson Powerlite 1770W here a year or two ago, and we like it a lot: it meets your resolution requirements, it has good color reproduction when hooked to both Macs and PCs, and it wasn't all that expensive (<$1000, IIRC).  It's also really light, which makes it nice for carrying to meetings across campus.

Hope that helps,

Ian

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Bdarmoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Micronet users,

We need to buy a projector for GRAD. DIV.
Our need is for a high resolution  projector
1280x800 or better (on a low budget).
Thanks for your help.
Benjamin.
--
Benjamin Darmoni.
Phone (510) 643-3106
Graduate Division
309A Sproul Hall
UCB, Berkeley, CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Donna L Lee

A year ago I reached out for similar recommendations, and the Epson Powerlite received the best feedback. I went with the Powerlite 1776 from CDWG. No complaints since – must be doing its job. I just ordered another one a week ago for a different department that specifically wanted lightweight portability to meetings, comes with a soft case. This model cost $1,023 – request a quote from CDWG.

Donna L Lee

Facilities Services Information Technology (FSIT)

UC, Berkeley

2000 Carleton Street, Room 240

Berkeley, CA 94720-1384

Phone:  (510) 642-6337

[hidden email]

Website:  www.facilities.berkeley.edu

[Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Summer Scanlan
Any more current updates for projector recommendations, or should I go for an Epson Powerlite?

We need a portable projector with good resolution in a variety of different classrooms.

Thanks, all! :)

Summer Scanlan
Project Manager
UC Berkeley Retirement Center
510-642-2553

Re: [Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Jeff Anderson-Lee
The latest round we purchased was the CASIO XJ-A256. Laser/led: no bulb to burn out.

WXGA (1280x800). Slim. Lightwight. Pricing starts at $1200, more commonly $1500.

No complaints.

Jeff Anderson-Lee

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Summer Scanlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any more current updates for projector recommendations, or should I go for an Epson Powerlite?

We need a portable projector with good resolution in a variety of different classrooms.

Thanks, all! :)

Summer Scanlan
Project Manager
UC Berkeley Retirement Center
510-642-2553

Re: [Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

John McChesney-Young
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Summer Scanlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any more current updates for projector recommendations, or should I go for
> an Epson Powerlite?

I checked with our Visual Resources Center and was told, "We have an
Epson Powerlite & love it. It has great resolution, great colors, & is
really light & portable."

I wonder about the Casio: not having to replace bulbs means you
*can't* replace bulbs... On the other hand, a lifespan of "up to
20,000 hours" is a very long time, even cutting it by a good shaker of
salt.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

jon kuroda-2
I have two of the Casio units that Jeff mentioned, the XJ-A256.
I also have an XJ-M255 which is like the A256 but used in a fixed
installation.

Nice things about the solid state light source:

* Smaller for travel convenience (why we bought the XJ-A256 units)
* Consistent color balance and brightness
- The brightness will drop to about 85% of max over projector lifetime
- Bulbs fall 50% in brightness w/in 500-1000 hr usage lifetime
* No Mercury (a problem with UHP bulbs - where do we recycle these btw?)
* Dude, Frickin' Lasers (and LEDs)!

The light source can be replaced, but "only by the manufacturer".
Given balance of pricing between bulbs and projectors, for the price
of say 10 bulbs, I can buy a new(er better) Casio in 10K-20K hrs.

They still run warm though :(

The biggest feature I look for nowadays is how quiet they are, and
for the 3000 lumen level I aim for, they're all still a bit noisy.

--Jon
Calling it in from a snowy bit of vacation on the East Coast

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 06:58:58PM -0800, John McChesney-Young wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Summer Scanlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any more current updates for projector recommendations, or should I go for
> > an Epson Powerlite?
>
> I checked with our Visual Resources Center and was told, "We have an
> Epson Powerlite & love it. It has great resolution, great colors, & is
> really light & portable."
>
> I wonder about the Casio: not having to replace bulbs means you
> *can't* replace bulbs... On the other hand, a lifespan of "up to
> 20,000 hours" is a very long time, even cutting it by a good shaker of
> salt.
>
> John
>

> --
> John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
> History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
> U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
> [hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

Al Stangenberger
On 2/17/2014 2:42 PM, jon kuroda wrote:

> * No Mercury (a problem with UHP bulbs - where do we recycle these btw?)

Most mercury-containing lamps can be recycled at the Berkeley waste
transfer station on Gilman Street.  I've recycled fluorescent and
metal-halide lamps there.

Re: [Micronet] Fwd: any recommendation for a projector with good resolution 1280x800 or better?

jon kuroda-2
With the number of projectors on campus that use Hg-tainted UHP lamps,
it would be operationally excellent if I could recycle these along with
all our batteries that get taken care via Cal Recycling.

Ah well, something to look at later after I return from DC.

--Jon