[Micronet] any way to try AWS without credit card?

[Micronet] any way to try AWS without credit card?

Greg Merritt
Dear Micronet,

Does anyone know of a way to access the free trial Amazon Web Services without entering a credit card?  Perhaps some sort of .edu trial, or similar?

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] any way to try AWS without credit card?

Aaron Culich-2
Hi Greg- Are you looking for access to trying out AWS in the context of research, teaching, or administrative use?

In my role with Berkeley Research Computing (BRC) in the Research IT group, I can provide some insights for using AWS for research and teaching use cases.

Whatever your use case (academic or administrative), the campus has a contract with AWS that you can leverage that is different than the contract you would get if you signed up for it on your own with your credit card. The folks who can speak to that part is Isaac Orr and Michael Green in IST Telecom & Networking who have been working with AWS so the campus will have a better process for billing (e.g. using BearBuy instead of a credit card), as well as network connectivity with AWS networks.

-Aaron

--
Aaron Culich <[hidden email]>
Research Computing Architect

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Micronet,

Does anyone know of a way to access the free trial Amazon Web Services without entering a credit card?  Perhaps some sort of .edu trial, or similar?

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] any way to try AWS without credit card?

Greg Merritt
Hi Aaron,

Thanks a ton!  lol -- I just had BearBuy open in another tab, seeing if I could find AWS already there. ;)

Yep, this is for research use.  Aaron, should you & I talk more offline?  Do you recommend that I check in with Isaac & Michael regarding billing/setup?

Thanks!

-Greg

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Aaron Culich <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

gartim
Hi --

Using AWS for disaster site, wondering if there is a discount with
*not* using a credit card, ie BearBuy? Its a research requirement that
there be a DR site. thanks,

-- Gary

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 03:29:21PM -0800, Aaron Culich wrote:

>   Hi Greg- Are you looking for access to trying out AWS in the context of
>   research, teaching, or administrative use?
>   In my role with Berkeley Research Computing (BRC)A in the Research IT
>   group, I can provide some insights for using AWS for research and teaching
>   use cases.
>   Whatever your use case (academic or administrative), the campus has a
>   contract with AWS that you can leverage that is different than the
>   contract you would get if you signed up for it on your own with your
>   credit card. The folks who can speak to that part is Isaac Orr and Michael
>   Green in IST Telecom & Networking who have been working with AWS so the
>   campus will have a better process for billing (e.g. using BearBuy instead
>   of a credit card), as well as network connectivity with AWS networks.
>   -Aaron
>   --
>   Aaron Culich <[hidden email]>
>   ResearchA ComputingA Architect
>   ResearchA IT, Office of the CIO
>   University of California, Berkeley
>   http://research-it.berkeley.edu/brc
>   On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]>
>   wrote:
>
>     Dear Micronet,
>     Does anyone know of a way to access the free trial Amazon Web Services
>     without entering a credit card?A  Perhaps some sort of .edu trial, or
>     similar?
>     Thanks!
>     -Greg

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>     and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.A
>     This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>     prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] any way to try AWS without credit card?

Aaron Culich-2
Hi Gary- If you could share the text of the "DR site research requirement" that may be helpful to others here in the Micronet community who might have similar requirements. I would be happy to schedule a time to meet with you to explore your research use case in more depth and work with you and Isaac or others in IST who are exploring cloud-based DR site options.

If there are others here on Micronet who have cloud use cases for research I'd look forward to exploring those in more depth with you individually and then where we find commonalities we can organize group discussions with researchers who are interested in exploring options and solutions together.

-Aaron