[Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

[Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Greg Merritt
We have a ticket open, but, in case anybody has this worked out already...

The .rdp file for connecting to CalTime, as presented here:

http://caltime.berkeley.edu/

...does not work, as it attempts to connect to the following host:

full address:s:kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu

Unfortunately, that host points to a useless 10.* address:

$ dig kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu | grep IN | grep -v dns
;kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu. IN A
kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu. 86400 IN A 10.254.1.184

That can't be good...?

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Greg Merritt
Ahh!  Here's a response that came to me directly:

Begin forwarded message:
> As long as you are on a campus address space, anything in the 1918
> address space ought to work. The 10.0.0.0/8 space is organizationally
> routable. Now, off-site access may need the VPN, which is fair since the
> RDP host is a Windows server.

Fascinating that 10.* is routable.

Ok -- we are indeed seeing successful connections from campus-connected computers that use the campus DNS servers.  Our techie folks' testing computers happened to be running their own or alternative DNS servers, not campus DNS servers.

Apparently there will be a cutover to redundant machines behind a load balancer; maybe they'll give the new setup an actual public IP address.

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Bruce Satow
I just gave it a try from Win 7.  I believe we're not scheduled till Spring 2013 for the rollout, but I decided to test the connectivity.

The Space Sciences Lab, since it is physically off the main campus, requires the use of the campus VPN.   Download and save the Caltime.rdp file.   Start the VPN service.  Double click on the Caltime.rdp to start it up.

The rdesktop login box should pop up.

It should be noted that if your computer is not on a domain controller, and your local Windows login name is the same as your Calnet ID, you should choose "Use another account".  Then do the CAMPUS\Calnet ID thing as instructed on the Caltime page.  The first time you do it, it might run some app configuration, but it will eventually display the RemoteApp box.

Then it should log you in and prompt you again for your Calnet ID login verification.  After that the Workforce Central login screen or if you are authorized to use the Caltime, it should parse you into it.

Seemed pretty quick.

On 10/31/2012 1:14 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:
Ahh!  Here's a response that came to me directly:

Begin forwarded message:
As long as you are on a campus address space, anything in the 1918
address space ought to work. The 10.0.0.0/8 space is organizationally
routable. Now, off-site access may need the VPN, which is fair since the
RDP host is a Windows server.

Fascinating that 10.* is routable.

Ok -- we are indeed seeing successful connections from campus-connected computers that use the campus DNS servers.  Our techie folks' testing computers happened to be running their own or alternative DNS servers, not campus DNS servers.

Apparently there will be a cutover to redundant machines behind a load balancer; maybe they'll give the new setup an actual public IP address.

Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

[Micronet] why it can work (at all) from campus (was Re: anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?)

Greg Merritt
Aha!  And here is the documentation about the setup on campus, forwarded to me directly by a Micronet reader:

Begin forwarded message:

> Only certain parts of 10.0.0.0/8 are designated routable on campus.
> Other parts are reserved for private use and will never be routed.
>
> http://www.net.berkeley.edu/netinfo/ip/rfc1918.shtml

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Greg Paschall-2
For those that actually read email from Bruce and question his wording,
Space Sciences Lab is on the main campus (just up the hill), but SSL
runs a private network and I simply don't route the Campus' 1918 address
space to/from Campus. Never had a need to before now. Ah well, change
was inevitable.

I'd hope Caltime reverts to public IP space at official rollout. I'd
hate to try to explain to traveling faculty, PIs, staff and students how
to install the VPN just so they submit a timecard.

Greg

Bruce Satow wrote, on 10/31/12 1:41 PM:

> The Space Sciences Lab, since it is physically off the main campus,
> requires the use of the campus VPN.   Download and save the Caltime.rdp
> file.   Start the VPN service.  Double click on the Caltime.rdp to start
> it up.
>
> The rdesktop login box should pop up.
>
> It should be noted that if your computer is not on a domain controller,
> and your local Windows login name is the same as your Calnet ID, you
> should choose "Use another account".  Then do the CAMPUS\Calnet ID thing
> as instructed on the Caltime page.  The first time you do it, it might
> run some app configuration, but it will eventually display the RemoteApp
> box.
>
> Then it should log you in and prompt you again for your Calnet ID login
> verification.  After that the Workforce Central login screen or if you
> are authorized to use the Caltime, it should parse you into it.
>
> Seemed pretty quick.
>

> On 10/31/2012 1:14 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:
>> Ahh!  Here's a response that came to me directly:
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>> As long as you are on a campus address space, anything in the 1918
>>> address space ought to work. The 10.0.0.0/8 space is organizationally
>>> routable. Now, off-site access may need the VPN, which is fair since the
>>> RDP host is a Windows server.
>>
>> Fascinating that 10.* is routable.
>>
>> Ok -- we are indeed seeing successful connections from campus-connected computers that use the campus DNS servers.  Our techie folks' testing computers happened to be running their own or alternative DNS servers, not campus DNS servers.
>>
>> Apparently there will be a cutover to redundant machines behind a load balancer; maybe they'll give the new setup an actual public IP address.
>>
>> -Greg

> *Bruce Satow*
> University of California at Berkeley
> Space Sciences Laboratory
> 7 Gauss Way
> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (510) 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer
Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Greg Merritt
If you're remote and you use the split tunnel, and your computer's local network falls within these...

III. RFC 1918 addresses that IST may route inside campus are:
    10.16.0.0/12
    10.32.0.0/11
    10.64.0.0/10
    10.128.0.0/9     (10.16.0.0 - 10.255.255.255)
    172.16.0.0/12     (172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255)

...then will your connection to a private address that exists both locally *and* on campus default to the local instance or the campus instance?

Probably a pretty rare problem, and maybe I'm not conceptualizing this correctly in the first place anyhow...!

-Greg

On Oct 31, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Greg Paschall wrote:

> For those that actually read email from Bruce and question his wording,
> Space Sciences Lab is on the main campus (just up the hill), but SSL
> runs a private network and I simply don't route the Campus' 1918 address
> space to/from Campus. Never had a need to before now. Ah well, change
> was inevitable.
>
> I'd hope Caltime reverts to public IP space at official rollout. I'd
> hate to try to explain to traveling faculty, PIs, staff and students how
> to install the VPN just so they submit a timecard.
>
> Greg

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Rune Stromsness
On 31-Oct-12 14:29, Greg Merritt wrote:

> If you're remote and you use the split tunnel, and your computer's local network falls within these...

> III. RFC 1918 addresses that IST may route inside campus are:
>     10.16.0.0/12
>     10.32.0.0/11
>     10.64.0.0/10
>     10.128.0.0/9     (10.16.0.0 - 10.255.255.255)
>     172.16.0.0/12     (172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255)
>
> ...then will your connection to a private address that exists both locally *and* on campus default to the local instance or the campus instance?
>
> Probably a pretty rare problem, and maybe I'm not conceptualizing this correctly in the first place anyhow...!
Not all that rare...  I've run into that issue several times in hotels
that setup their local network to be 10.0.0.0/8 or some subset of that.

I've had to play manually with static routes on my laptop in order to
get things to work a few times.

Rune

> -Greg
>

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Greg Paschall wrote:
>
>> For those that actually read email from Bruce and question his wording,
>> Space Sciences Lab is on the main campus (just up the hill), but SSL
>> runs a private network and I simply don't route the Campus' 1918 address
>> space to/from Campus. Never had a need to before now. Ah well, change
>> was inevitable.
>>
>> I'd hope Caltime reverts to public IP space at official rollout. I'd
>> hate to try to explain to traveling faculty, PIs, staff and students how
>> to install the VPN just so they submit a timecard.
>>
>> Greg

Re: [Micronet] anybody have correct/routable hostname for CalTime RDP connection?

Michael Chung
Implementing a Remote Desktop Gateway service (RDP over HTTPS) would be a good way to keep the CalTime RDS servers in RFC1918 address space on campus while allowing the public access to the service without the need for VPN (via a RD Gateway server).

Michael

On 31-Oct-12 13:14, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Ahh!  Here's a response that came to me directly:
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>> As long as you are on a campus address space, anything in the 1918
>> address space ought to work. The 10.0.0.0/8 space is organizationally
>> routable. Now, off-site access may need the VPN, which is fair since the
>> RDP host is a Windows server.
>

> Fascinating that 10.* is routable.
>
> Ok -- we are indeed seeing successful connections from campus-connected computers that use the campus DNS servers.  Our techie folks' testing computers happened to be running their own or alternative DNS servers, not campus DNS servers.
The RFC1918 host name such as kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu should
resolve for any DNS recursive resolver on the campus network, regardless
of whether it is one of the central campus servers or not.  I have
certainly used local or departmental DNS servers where this worked very
well.

From anywhere _off-campus_ the RFC1918 addresses will not get answers
from the campus authoritative name servers.  This is by design -- every
organization is allowed to re-use and route within their organization
the same RFC1918 address space, and many of them do.  We don't want (for
instance) someone at home on Comcast to get an RFC1918 address from that
hostname that then, from a Comcast connection, happens to actually route
the traffic to some Comcast server.

This also means that if you are using off-campus DNS resolvers (like
Google or...) you won't get an answer for a hostname pointing to an
RFC1918 address.

As IPv4 addresses continue to get more scarce we expect that the
campus-routed RFC1918 address space will continue to get used for more
and more things that only need to talk on campus like printers and
scanners and security cameras and network equipment and...  We already
have around 7,000 devices using routed RFC1918 addresses on campus today.

Rune

On Oct 31, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Rune Stromsness wrote:
> the
> campus-routed RFC1918 address space will continue to get used for more
> and more things that only need to talk on campus like printers and
> scanners and security cameras and network equipment and...

...and *not* time-reporting apps, one might hope. ;)

>  We already
> have around 7,000 devices using routed RFC1918 addresses on campus today.

Wow!!  Thanks for the info and context, Rune.