[Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

[Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

ronald
Hi all,

I've been given the task of finding out how to capture audio
recordings from clients in the context of a web application
(a language survey in which users will provide information on
their language backgrounds and will share recordings of themselves
pronouncing words from a list). So far it appears that java and
flash-based solutions are the options that are most likely to be
robust and available on the client end.

Has anyone on this list pondered this topic, or even better
actually done it? If so, how?

Best,

ronald

Ronald Sprouse
Information Systems Analyst
Phonology Lab
Department of Linguistics
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

Robert Hiramoto
Hi Ronald,

Could a program like Audacity (an open source audio recording & editing
program) do this?

I'd think that it should be able to - the browser would act as your output
to audacity.

Or, you could just plug some device into your sound card's output port, and
capture the sounds that way.

~R

On 12/13/10 10:16 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been given the task of finding out how to capture audio
> recordings from clients in the context of a web application
> (a language survey in which users will provide information on
> their language backgrounds and will share recordings of themselves
> pronouncing words from a list). So far it appears that java and
> flash-based solutions are the options that are most likely to be
> robust and available on the client end.
>
> Has anyone on this list pondered this topic, or even better
> actually done it? If so, how?
>
> Best,
>
> ronald
>

> Ronald Sprouse
> Information Systems Analyst
> Phonology Lab
> Department of Linguistics
> UC Berkeley

> visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the
> list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these
> messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers,
> and people who have known you in the past.

~Robert
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  (510) 643-3903
Fax:  (510) 642-6432

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Re: [Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

ronald
> Could a program like Audacity (an open source audio recording & editing
> program) do this?
>
> I'd think that it should be able to - the browser would act as your output
> to audacity.
>
> Or, you could just plug some device into your sound card's output port,
> and
> capture the sounds that way.

Thanks for your suggestion. Audacity is nice for its cross-platform
availability, but we'd like to avoid asking the users to
download and install separate software packages in order to
complete the survey, as that discourages participation. In-browser
recording on the user's first visit is our goal for as many
users as is reasonably possible.

Best,

ronald

Re: [Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

Kevin Burney
Applian has a suite of tools which are quite good at capturing audio and video streams from sources that don't make it easy to record.  Replay capture suite is $79.  I'd try other open source solutions such as Audacity before shelling out bucks for this suite but for many of my personal audio needs it provides me solutions I haven't found elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone
Kevin Burney

On Dec 13, 2010, at 10:16 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been given the task of finding out how to capture audio
> recordings from clients in the context of a web application
> (a language survey in which users will provide information on
> their language backgrounds and will share recordings of themselves
> pronouncing words from a list). So far it appears that java and
> flash-based solutions are the options that are most likely to be
> robust and available on the client end.
>
> Has anyone on this list pondered this topic, or even better
> actually done it? If so, how?
>
> Best,
>
> ronald
>

> Ronald Sprouse
> Information Systems Analyst
> Phonology Lab
> Department of Linguistics
> UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] audio recording in a web browser?

Kevin D. Burney
I forgot to add that I have also had good results using the simple Free Sound Recorder 9.2.1

Sent from my iPhone
Kevin Burney