[Micronet] bCal - groups or distribution lists

[Micronet] bCal - groups or distribution lists

Joyce Martin

Hi

How will groups be handled in bCal?  The trainer said it was beyond the class scope – but he called them “distribution lists”.

Thanks!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

fax (510) 642-7271

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx

FSITSupport Website:

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx

Re: [Micronet] bCal - groups or distribution lists

Bernie Rossi
Hi Joyce,

It depends upon what you are calling a "group".  Google Groups is not going to be turned on when we bring up bMail/bCal.  Google Groups does not currently have the features we require for mailing lists.  Mailman will continue to function as the campus mailing listserv.

You can create Contact groups in Google.  We are working on KB articles now on how to create and use them.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 7/17/12 11:29 AM, Joyce Martin wrote:

[...]

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Greetings,

I haven't seen or may of missed the information concerning what will happen with departmental email accounts. Will dept. accounts stay local for now or will Google have an option for this?

Thank you,
Johnathon

On 7/17/12 11:40 AM, Bernie Rossi wrote:
[...]

Hi Johnathon,

This migration is for CalAgenda calendar only.  The migration of CalMail email accounts will be happening later.

Departmental email accounts will also be migrating to Google.  We are working on the best solution for users to access these accounts, will have information in place prior to the migration.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 7/17/12 11:48 AM, Johnathon P. Kogelman wrote:
[...]

Hi Bernie

I’m actually referring to the “Groups” feature in calagenda.

In FS we have public groups of about 50 resources that people can use to find an available resource (ie, rooms, permits, equipment, etc).  In calagenda, they can open a group of resources, like, CapProj Permits, for example, to view the schedule for all permits.

Is there such a feature in google calendar?

The instructor showed how one can view “other users” in Google.  Does this mean our staff would have to add all the resources one by one in order to view the schedules?

Thanks~

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

fax (510) 642-7271

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx

FSITSupport Website:

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx

Re: [Micronet] bCal - groups or distribution lists

Joyce Martin

I’m responding with my research into the following info I have found so far.   If it’s incorrect, please let me know.

In FS we have public groups of about 50 resources that people can use to find an available resource (ie, rooms, permits, equipment, etc).  In calagenda, they can open a group of resources, like, CapProj Permits, for example, to view the schedule for all permits.

Is there such a feature in google calendar?

ANSWER:  Not really. Google has a different concept of resource calendars.

Basic info:  You can create a composite (group) view of only calendars available in “Other calendars” and “My calendars”.

o   If you had designate rights to that resource in calagenda:  yes, you can see the resource in the “Other calendars” section in Google.

o   If you do not have designate rights to that resource:  no, you cannot see the resource in the “Other calendars” section in Google.  You can only see the resource availability within an event.

§  Procedures:  First you have to create the event, then in the edit mode, click on  “add rooms, etc.”.   By having the “Show only available” checked, you will see the resources available for that particular time.  That is the way to see if a resource is available.

The instructor showed how one can view “other users” in Google.  Does this mean our staff would have to add all the resources one by one in order to view the schedules?

ANSWER:  Also see above.  You cannot add resources to the “Other Users” section, using the “Add a coworkers calendar” field.

Thanks~

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

fax (510) 642-7271

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx

FSITSupport Website:

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx

Re: [Micronet] bCal - groups or distribution lists

Joyce Martin

I have rewritten this article.  If you need this information for your staff, please feel free to view (as the other was in error):

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/Lists/bCal%20Discussion%20Board/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsites%2Ffs%2Fsupportservices%2Fjoycesblog%2FLists%2FbCal%20Discussion%20Board%2FHow%20do%20I%20view%20resources%20in%20bCal&FolderCTID=0x0120020055968E2086AE954DAC95141C491758B6

I won’t be posting any more bCal info to Micronet, as things are changing quickly.  In the interest of sharing info within our campus community, you can peruse our blog/board for info whenever you like.

I’ll still be posting questions to Micronet, tho!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

fax (510) 642-7271