[Micronet] bCal --> iCal (like magic)

Scot Hacker
Very cool: A coworker invited me to a meeting on bCal (yes, we know it's not officially launched yet). Google generated an email to me containing the invitation. Unexpectedly, the invitation appeared in my desktop iCal! But the only account I have set up in iCal is a personal iCloud account, with no connection to Google. Completing the circle, I accepted the invitation in iCal, then refreshed the bCal invitation web page and it showed up as my having accepted the invitation.

In other words, there seems to be a "magic" connection between bCal and desktop iCal, no configuration required. I've been looking all over the place, trying to figure out where the connection is made, but I see nothing.

My working theory is that Mail.app detects the invite.ics attachment on the invitation email generated by Google, and immediately logs it as an outstanding invitation in iCal. And when you accept the invitation, iCal pings Google to let it know of the status update. Does that sound right?

Note this is not full calendar syncing between the two - just a bit of magic that simplifies invitation handling.

./s

__________________________
Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

__________________________

Re: [Micronet] bCal --> iCal (like magic)

Graham Patterson

There is an option in mail to make it look for calendar events. I have
always thought it was a bit risky, since it is not validated for source.
Spammed appointments?

The Google calendar will import as read-only any .ics exports using a
URL, so I can get our internal room calendar into bCal, for example.
There's an API that allows more elaborate translations, but i yet to
look at that in detail. bCal is not really at critical mass for us.

Graham

On 7/20/12 10:19 AM, Scot Hacker wrote:

> Very cool: A coworker invited me to a meeting on bCal (yes, we know it's not officially launched yet). Google generated an email to me containing the invitation. Unexpectedly, the invitation appeared in my desktop iCal! But the only account I have set up in iCal is a personal iCloud account, with no connection to Google. Completing the circle, I accepted the invitation in iCal, then refreshed the bCal invitation web page and it showed up as my having accepted the invitation.
>
> In other words, there seems to be a "magic" connection between bCal and desktop iCal, no configuration required. I've been looking all over the place, trying to figure out where the connection is made, but I see nothing.
>
> My working theory is that Mail.app detects the invite.ics attachment on the invitation email generated by Google, and immediately logs it as an outstanding invitation in iCal. And when you accept the invitation, iCal pings Google to let it know of the status update. Does that sound right?
>
> Note this is not full calendar syncing between the two - just a bit of magic that simplifies invitation handling.
>
> ./s
>
> __________________________
> Scot Hacker
> Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
> Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley
>
> [hidden email]
> (510) 292-5586
> __________________________

Re: [Micronet] bCal --> iCal (like magic)

Gabriel Gonzalez
The particular setting in iCal

In iCal, choose iCal > Preferences, and then click Advanced.
Select the “Automatically retrieve CalDAV invitations from Mail” checkbox.

-Gabriel

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:15:31 -0700, Graham Patterson
<[hidden email]>

--
Chief Technical Officer
UC Berkeley School of Law