[Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

Richard DeShong-2
In bDrive, how do we change ownership of a doc?

We have a shared folder, and various staff have created docs.  When a staff member leaves our dept, I'd like to transfer ownership to someone still in our dept.

I've looked at:

which suggests that in Advanced sharing, I can click on the menu next to someone name and select an option "Is Owner".   This option does not exist for me.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220

Re: [Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

Jon Broshious-2
If you share a folder, all docs inside of it are shared.

To change ownership:
Open the doc or worksheet.
Choose the "File" drop down menu
Choose Share
Choose advanced in the lower right corner.
In this location another option shows up in sharing rights, "owner".

On 8/27/2015 2:20 PM, Richard DESHONG wrote:
In bDrive, how do we change ownership of a doc?

We have a shared folder, and various staff have created docs.  When a staff member leaves our dept, I'd like to transfer ownership to someone still in our dept.

I've looked at:

which suggests that in Advanced sharing, I can click on the menu next to someone name and select an option "Is Owner".   This option does not exist for me.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Architecture, Platforms, and Integration
Enterprise Email Systems

Re: [Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

Devin P Richards
Though this is limited, as if you have folder A with 500 unique files, you still have to transfer ownership of each file in the folder to a person.

We just went through this with three staff leaving and was a horrible process. (with more than 500 files)

Though we did find a work around of sharing the folder with some one -- which sets the premissions for all the enclosed files in the folder -- and then copying the folder and pasting it into the new owner's drive. We downloaded gdrive to do this on the desktop and into a SPA.

Clunky but better than what is offered. I'd be interested if anyone knows of a better way. Supposedly there is supposed to be a "super administrator" that can transfer files over in mass.

Devin

Devin P Richards

Cal Teach // Math for America Berkeley

Berkeley Science and Math Initiative, UC Berkeley

475 Evans Hall // Berkeley, CA 94720-3860

p: (510) 643-3813 // f: (510) 643-2261

w: http://bsmi.berkeley.edu

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Jon Broshious <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I open the doc, pick the File menu, Sharing, Advanced.  I do not have the option to change ownership.

I believe that is an option for change from "me" to someone else.  I want to take ownership of a file from staff who have left the dept.  Is this a Google Admin process?

[...]

Ryan Lovett-2
We have found it useful to create SP accounts and to have users create their documents as the SPA. When there is a rotation in staff we only need to manage access to the SPA rather than move documents. It also applies to email, calendars, etc.

Ryan

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Devin P Richards <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

p: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-3813" value="+15106433813" target="_blank">(510) 643-3813 // f: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-2261" value="+15106432261" target="_blank">(510) 643-2261

[...]

Jon Hays
Hi Richard,

The short answer to your question is that it is complicated and, yes, not terribly easy with Google Drive.

It looks like there are several good ideas floating around out there.  Ian Crew from the bConnected Team is working on a more detailed response with a few general recommendations and best practices to share with the list.

He'll post his response in the next day or so.  In the meantime, if anyone on the list has an immediate issue or concern, please go ahead an submit a ticket with the help desk at: https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/new_ticket/it

Best,

Jon

University of California, BerkeleyJon Hays
Service Manager, bConnected Collaboration Services
IST-Architecture, Platforms & Integration (API)
[hidden email] <a href="tel:510-672-5493" style="color:rgb(0,50,98);text-decoration:none" target="_blank">510-672-5493

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
In bDrive, how do we change ownership of a doc?

We have a shared folder, and various staff have created docs.  When a staff member leaves our dept, I'd like to transfer ownership to someone still in our dept.

I've looked at:

which suggests that in Advanced sharing, I can click on the menu next to someone name and select an option "Is Owner".   This option does not exist for me.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220

Re: [Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

Richard DeShong-2
For reference, I did submit the question to bConnected and this created a ticket.  From my research, it appears that the options are:

1) Have the original owner transfer ownership to another account.

This is the "easiest" and could be incorporated in the off-boarding process.  So when an employee gives notice, the transfer of ownership of dept files from box and google can be part of the process.

2) My researched noted that the "google admin" could change ownership of selected files.  This would imply that the bConnected group should be able to do this.

3) Make a copy of the files in another account, share this new file as appropriate, and remove the shares from the original.

This last option could be used to make sure that the files do not disappear if an ex-employee deletes there account.

Not sure if the bConnected admin has the ability to mitigate this risk.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Jon Hays <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Graham Patterson

This is why I recommend keeping only working drafts in personal space,
and using SPA-owned space or even old-fashioned file servers as the
repository for 'final' documents. But this is just advisory - there is
no way to enforce it.

Unfortunately not every one departs in a controlled manner. Deaths in
service, or just cases of 'I'm outta here!' do come up, and no amount of
exit planing will help there.

There is a similar problem with calendars widely shared by departed
people - they cannot be changed or revised. They can be hidden, and
replaced by another calendar, but nothing short of admin intervention
will change the owner or even stop it.

Graham

On 8/27/15 3:53 PM, Richard DESHONG wrote:

> [...]
>         <http://asc.berkeley.edu>

>         upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>         http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>         Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>         world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>         searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>         viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>         people who have known you in the past.
>
>         ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list,
>         please use the [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]> list.
>

> --
> Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
> 164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
> 510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu <http://asc.berkeley.edu>

> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

erol
Anyone know if Box has similar issues with shared files?

On Aug 27, 2015, at 3:53 PM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[hidden email] <a href="tel:510-672-5493" style="color:rgb(0,50,98);text-decoration:none" target="_blank" class="">510-672-5493

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
In bDrive, how do we change ownership of a doc?

We have a shared folder, and various staff have created docs.  When a staff member leaves our dept, I'd like to transfer ownership to someone still in our dept.

I've looked at:

which suggests that in Advanced sharing, I can click on the menu next to someone name and select an option "Is Owner".   This option does not exist for me.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] bDrive, change doc ownership

Hi Richard (and all):

First, as Jon Hays has said, there isn’t really a simple answer to this, but there are a couple of options here:

1) As you’ve discovered, it’s possible to change the owner of an individual file or folder in Google Drive (see https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494892?hl=en for how), but it does get tedious if you have a lot of them, and transferring the ownership of a folder doesn’t transfer ownership of the files it contains. If you are going to do this sort of transfer, it’s probably a good idea to transfer the ownership to a SPA rather than another individual, so you don’t have to do it again in the future.

One option that might speed this up a bit is that the old owner can do a “select all” in a folder, or on the results of a search (e.g. a search for “owner:me”), then change the ownership of all the files at once as follows (with thanks to Lito Tejada for figuring this out):
A) Right click on any of the highlighted files, then select Share ...
B) At the bottom right of the pop-up list box, click Advanced
C) If the new owner is not in the list of those who already have access, enter the new owner's email in the Invite People text box, then Click Send.  Skip this step if the owner is in the list.
D) Select the drop down box beside the new owner and choose Is Owner, then click Save Changes.  If you are careful to only change the owner of the documents, the other sharing permissions on the documents should not be affected, but I will add the disclaimer that we haven’t tested this method extensively.

2) It is possible for our Google admins to transfer ownership of all of the files and access rights from one person’s account to another person’s account, but it’s not possible to do that transfer on a folder-by-folder basis.  In addition, the Google admins will need permission to access the old owner's account, as described at https://security.berkeley.edu/ecp#procedures.  In addition to the all-or-nothing nature of this method, if the new owner of the files doesn’t have access to the folders that contain those files, they’ll all be lumped together in a single '[hidden email]’ folder in the new owner’s MyDrive, which might take some work to sort out properly.  If that’s still a route you want to go, please submit a ticket with CSS (https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/new_ticket/it) to get the process started.

3) (Erol Kepkep, this is the bit you were asking about) You might want to consider using Box instead of Drive for longer-term or larger projects.  Box’s ownership model is very different than Drive’s, and avoids many of the problems we’ve been discussing here. In Box, all the items in a folder hierarchy are owned by the account that created the top-level folder, regardless of which account is used to upload that file.  So, you could use a SPA to create a folder for your department/group, then invite the people who need access into that folder.  From then on, any items they put in that folder hierarchy will be owned by the SPA, not the individual user.  See https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=44841 for more details.

Box also makes it easy to transfer the ownership of a folder hierarchy all in one go—see http://community.box.com/t5/Collaboration-and-Sharing/How-Do-I-Change-The-Owner-Of-A-Folder/ta-p/149 for how.

I’ll also use the opportunity to highlight the fact that Box is now also unlimited storage, as Larry Conrad mentioned in his CalMessage a couple of days ago.

For more of a comparison between Box and Drive, see https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=44390

We, along with many of Google’s other customers, have been lobbying them for a while now to make this sort of thing easier.  No results so far, though.

Hope that’s helpful!

Ian

On Aug 27, 2015, at 2:20 PM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:

In bDrive, how do we change ownership of a doc?

We have a shared folder, and various staff have created docs.  When a staff member leaves our dept, I'd like to transfer ownership to someone still in our dept.

I've looked at:

which suggests that in Advanced sharing, I can click on the menu next to someone name and select an option "Is Owner".   This option does not exist for me.

--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor