[Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

[Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Joyce Martin

Hi everyone

We are using Outlook with bMail now.

This is regarding labels vs folders.

In Outlook, with the FORMER configuration, all my emails/folders were in the “Inbox”.  Now after the migration, all of my bMail/web folders have the word “Inbox” in front of them.  It LOOKS horrible.

As a test, I changed one of my web folders called “Test Folder1 Googler”  –I edited the label and removed the word “Inbox”.  Now my folder name looks great in bMail/web.

cid:image002.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

But then in Outlook, the folder shows up OUTSIDE of the Outlook inbox.

What is everyone else recommending to their users about the INBOX label situation?

cid:image006.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Mimi Mugler-2
Joyce,
INBOX is a special label in Google. So no folders can be nested under that label. Anyone who has folders within their inbox before migrating will experience your same situation. I'm not sure why you would want folders/labels in your inbox, but in any event, it won't work in Google.

Best,
Mimi

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone

We are using Outlook with bMail now.

This is regarding labels vs folders.

In Outlook, with the FORMER configuration, all my emails/folders were in the “Inbox”.  Now after the migration, all of my bMail/web folders have the word “Inbox” in front of them.  It LOOKS horrible.

As a test, I changed one of my web folders called “Test Folder1 Googler”  –I edited the label and removed the word “Inbox”.  Now my folder name looks great in bMail/web.

cid:image002.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

But then in Outlook, the folder shows up OUTSIDE of the Outlook inbox.

What is everyone else recommending to their users about the INBOX label situation?

cid:image006.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

Mimi Mugler
bConnected Team (UC Berkeley Google Apps for Education)
510.642.6157

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Patrick Schmitz

Hi Joyce –

I made the same change you did, so the names looked better. Then in an older version of Outlook I made the Inbox a favorite so it was on top. Newer Outlook manages that for you it seems, so the rest of the (sub) folders appear down the list after Inbox (as in your screen shot).

It’s a little odd, but seems to work once you get used to it. The only thing I cannot do is collapse the full Inbox tree, but I don’t miss that too much. Is there something else you miss with this approach?

Patrick

In Outlook, with the FORMER configuration, all my emails/folders were in the “Inbox”.  Now after the migration, all of my bMail/web folders have the word “Inbox” in front of them.  It LOOKS horrible.

As a test, I changed one of my web folders called “Test Folder1 Googler”  –I edited the label and removed the word “Inbox”.  Now my folder name looks great in bMail/web.

cid:image002.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

But then in Outlook, the folder shows up OUTSIDE of the Outlook inbox.

What is everyone else recommending to their users about the INBOX label situation?

cid:image006.jpg@01CE0453.735107D0

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Aron Roberts
This seems to be an "it depends on the user's needs" choice.  Here's one article summarizing some of the respective advantages of desktop and web-based email clients:

http://lifehacker.com/5925096/should-i-be-using-a-desktop-email-client

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Guy D. VINSON <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nils Ohlson
Well here's my question-

Is bMail actually "great"?

I haven't migrated yet and I'm really curious as to how searches will work. Presently I have tens of thousands (sic) of saved e-mails on my computer in the Thunderbird folder- these will stay where they are, I like having local copies. I will be cool with using the Web interface if searches and scrolling are as easy as in Thunderbird- can I scroll from top to bottom of my
inbox without having to hit a "next page" link a zillion times (or even once)? Can I do a search in a given mailbox on date & from & subject & body? Can I do searches at all (say for a keyword) over a whole mailbox?

I looked at the lifehacker article linked by Aaron but it doesn't address these questions.

TIA,
Nils Ohlson

On 2/6/2013 12:25 PM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:
[...]

Jon Forrest-3
On 2/6/2013 12:25 PM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:
> At the risk of ticking off a number of people... seems to me the point
> of having a great web based email system is to use the web based
> interface rather than holding on to old habits which serve no useful
> purpose (that I can see) other than to continue to do things the way we
> have always done them. People lets lose the e-mail clients and march on.

I would gladly do this if it weren't for the fact that
certain features available in Thunderbird (for example)
aren't available in Gmail's web interface. Again,
for example, Thunderbird lets you sort any of the columns
it displays (e.g. Subject, From, Size, ...). I know of
no way to sort any of Gmail's columns. It always comes
out in date order.

I don't mind change but not if it means giving up
useful features for no apparent reason.

Jon Forrest
UC Berkeley - retired

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Tom Holub
Use your email client if you want to; I probably will continue to, at least
sometimes, because it's better at managing multiple accounts and doing
off-line mail.  But please, inform yourself about these things; you can log
into the bMail web interface right now and try stuff out.  Gmail's search is
approximately infinitely better than Thunderbird's; Google is a search
company.  You can't easily sort on a from address or subject but you can
search on one, which is likely to accomplish the same thing.  And yes, if you
want to browse through 100+ messages in a mailbox you would have to hit "next
page"; Google's model is to search for it.

You can, of course, use both the web interface and an email client for the
things they are good for.

On 2/6/13 1:36 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:

> This is exactly the sort of thing I mean- if I can't sort by "from" that's
> bad. If I can't search for a piece of a chartstring contained in message
> bodies, that's  very bad. If I have to hit a "next page" button to see past
> the first 20 or 100 messages, that's double-bozo-bad.
>
> -Nils
>
> On 2/6/2013 1:20 PM, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> On 2/6/2013 12:25 PM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:
>>> At the risk of ticking off a number of people... seems to me the point
>>> of having a great web based email system is to use the web based
>>> interface rather than holding on to old habits which serve no useful
>>> purpose (that I can see) other than to continue to do things the way we
>>> have always done them. People lets lose the e-mail clients and march on.
>> I would gladly do this if it weren't for the fact that
>> certain features available in Thunderbird (for example)
>> aren't available in Gmail's web interface. Again,
>> for example, Thunderbird lets you sort any of the columns
>> it displays (e.g. Subject, From, Size, ...). I know of
>> no way to sort any of Gmail's columns. It always comes
>> out in date order.
>>
>> I don't mind change but not if it means giving up
>> useful features for no apparent reason.
>>
>> Jon Forrest
>> UC Berkeley - retired

Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Mimi Mugler-2
HI, Nils,
Jon's right that you can't sort by any other columns. So that is one thing I wish could be fixed. Nevertheless, I search for mail all the time, and I haven't found that column-sort lack to be an issue...at all. The search is great. You can definitely find chartstrings in message bodies. You define when + who it's from + any miscellaneous text in any of the field. One thing I've found useful in search is that there is check box for only searching for emails with attachments. I've been a pretty assiduous labeler (former filer) of emails, but I'm beginning to wonder why when I use search so much more than looking under a specific label.

Mimi

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Nils Ohlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your Nexus Android app is likely the same or similar one to what I'm using on my iphone and ipad. I believe is just a optimized way of looking at the web interface on a smaller device.  I don't remember having to do anything to use it other than put in my user name and google key, not really the same as a full blown email client, and not something that demands a lot of overhead.

My point is just that traditional e-mail clients like Eudora, Thunderbird, and Outlook require more overhead than is called for by something like gmail/bmail. over the years I have had to spent a great deal of time moving mail about from one machine to another because of POP. Of course imap does remove a lot of that hassle but why even deal with it if you don't have to, one less application on a PC or Mac you don't have to worry about if it goes wonky.

That being said I do see the need for some individuals who have special needs to have access to a non-web based e-mail client, people who have to use a optical reader because of sight limitations. But for the vast majority of campus e-mail users the web interface is the way to go, in my opinion.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

Then why does my Google Nexus tablet come with a gmail app?

--

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Aron Roberts
Riffing on Mimi's response about Google having leveraged their
strength in search within Gmail, here's a page listing the handy Gmail

"Using advanced search"
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7190

One example of those operators:

'from:'  Used to specify the sender
Example: from:amy
Meaning: Messages from Amy

Aron

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Mimi MUGLER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>

> --
> Mimi Mugler
> bConnected Team (UC Berkeley Google Apps for Education)
> [hidden email]
> 510.642.6157

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Beth Muramoto
I agree with Mimi. I've had to search PO Numbers, Web Order numbers and it's been great because it calls up every iteration of those numbers so it gathers all the information I need about a specific order in the search.

I also am getting savvy with the advanced search feature:

as well as clicking on the triangle in the search box which gives me TO, FROM, SUBJECT, CC: etc. options.

Apple Mail was terrible at that and I had to slog through tons of "matches" to find the one I wanted.

[...]

Computer Resource Specialist
Graduate School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
1650 Tolman Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email:  mailto:[hidden email]
Phone:  (510) 643-0203
Fax:  (510) 643-6239

The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver.
- Tom Peters

You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage to say 'no' to other things."

-Stephen Covey

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Coleman Cox

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

I'll preface this by admitting that I will use whatever interface seems
best - Thunderbird (multiple accounts, not all via Google, integrated
PGP, some filters, bCal much of the time), web (test systems, complex
searches, Google Docs integration). What I will do for myself is not
necessarily what I would advise others to do, and I won't cry if I break
it 8-)

The real danger with using a mail client is the natural inclination to
think that the server back-end works exactly the same way as Calmail. It
doesn't. And there lies the big support problem.

The web interface is going to show you what is really there, and it is
the best chance for support.

Our department bMail migration is fast approaching!

Graham

On 2/6/13 12:25 PM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:

> At the risk of ticking off a number of people... seems to me the point
> of having a great web based email system is to use the web based
> interface rather than holding on to old habits which serve no useful
> purpose (that I can see) other than to continue to do things the way we
> have always done them. People lets lose the e-mail clients and march on.
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Patrick Schmitz <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Joyce –
>

>     I made the same change you did, so the names looked better. Then in
>     an older version of Outlook I made the Inbox a favorite so it was on
>     top. Newer Outlook manages that for you it seems, so the rest of the
>     (sub) folders appear down the list after Inbox (as in your screen
>     shot).
>

>     It’s a little odd, but seems to work once you get used to it. The
>     only thing I cannot do is collapse the full Inbox tree, but I don’t
>     miss that too much. Is there something else you miss with this approach?
>

>     Patrick
>

>     *From:*[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>

Johnathon P. Kogelman
From limited experience, the web client is functional. People will need to adapt to a different interface, but they will need to anyway at some point. Thunderbird support will be limited, if not discontinued altogether later this year. Which leaves two clients, Apple Mail and Microsoft Outlook. Frankly neither is a great option on desktop and laptop computers. Outlook is being designed to mostly work with Enterprise Exchange shops. Apple Mail was never a strong mail client.

Now there is one critical issue that we have experienced that does need some attention, the spam filtering. Google is filtering @berkeley.edu addresses to spam, mostly this appears to happen when uses are sending from Calmail. This is caused a few amount of trouble for our undergrad instruction as students aren't receiving lab assignments etc. It has always caused some issues with our IT staff that are missing service requests which are being filtered.

[...]

Information Systems
College of Chemistry
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-1460
Ph (510) 643-3533, Fax (510) 666-2570
[hidden email]
http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/it/

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

John McChesney-Young
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote in part:

>...you can log
> into the bMail web interface right now and try stuff out.  Gmail's search is
> approximately infinitely better than Thunderbird's...

Gmail's (not-very-)advanced search feature is inconspicuous. If you
hover over the small downward-pointing pale gray arrow at the right
end of the main search window at the top of the bMail/Gmail window,
you'll see a tooltip that says, "Show search options." Click on it and
it will offer an assortment of ways to search, and yes, I can tell you
from personal experience that it's useful for chartstrings.

If you think you might end up with more than a hundred hits for a
search term, it might be worth exploring how to use labels to make
later searches easier. I find labels much more useful than folders
since they can be used not only for multiple content categories but
also for assigning priorities.

John

--

John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

gts

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

gts
What's best is what works for the individual user in their situation, as may responders have said or implied.

One problem, not yet discussed is network performance. The campus and urban users generally have reliable network performance. Out here with rural providers (in my case Frontier Communications), the Internet is cranky and unreliable and a web interface is often unbearable. Once, half my phone line was out and DSL quality was in low single digits but Eudora using simple, single TCP connections could still fetch and send email!

greg

At 02:00 PM 2/6/2013, you wrote:
>I'll preface this by admitting that I will use whatever interface seems
>best - Thunderbird (multiple accounts, not all via Google, integrated
>PGP, some filters, bCal much of the time), web (test systems, complex
>searches, Google Docs integration). What I will do for myself is not
>necessarily what I would advise others to do, and I won't cry if I break it 8-)

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Guy D. VINSON
I'm sure a telegraph would also work... but my point is we should be looking for solutions that will work for the majority of campus e-mail users and have the lowest overhead, not worrying about every possible situation. I say provide everyone a car... as long as it is black.

At 02:00 PM 2/6/2013, you wrote:
>I'll preface this by admitting that I will use whatever interface seems
>best - Thunderbird (multiple accounts, not all via Google, integrated
>PGP, some filters, bCal much of the time), web (test systems, complex
>searches, Google Docs integration). What I will do for myself is not
>necessarily what I would advise others to do, and I won't cry if I break it 8-)

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] bMail and Outlook - labels vs folders

Tom Holub
The color of a car is a preference.  The functionality of a car is a set of
requirements.  If you need to regularly haul loads of manure, a Prius won't
meet your requirements, and if you need to regularly work on email off-line, a
web interface won't meet your requirements.

On Feb 6, 2013, at 4:02 PM, Johnathon Kogelman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now there is one critical issue that we have experienced that does need some attention, the spam filtering. Google is filtering @berkeley.eduaddresses to spam, mostly this appears to happen when uses are sending from Calmail. This is caused a few amount of trouble for our undergrad instruction as students aren't receiving lab assignments etc. It has always caused some issues with our IT staff that are missing service requests which are being filtered.

Hi Jonathan:

Yes, we are aware that some messages from @berkeley.edu addresses are getting filtered to spam in certain cases.  We are working on and experimenting with potential solutions to this.  For obvious reasons, I won't go into details on a publicly-archived mailing list, but rest assured that this issue is being actively worked on both in the short term and the longer term.

We have also found that the bMail spam filter is highly trainable: If you check your spam folder via the bMail web client a few times over the first couple of weeks after you move to bMail and tell it which messages aren't spam, it gets the hang of it very quickly.

Cheers,

Ian

___

Migration Coordinator, bConnected Project

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor