[Micronet] basic map tool / Tech Commons?

[Micronet] basic map tool / Tech Commons?

Sharon K. Goetz-2
Hi, Micronet,

I'd like to create a simple display map, similar to a Google custom map, to support a web version of an exhibition (scans of photos/manuscripts, captions, etc.). For ideas I tried to summon techcommons.berkeley.edu, as promoted here and on iNews[*] in 2011, but it seems to have gone away.

The last Micronet mention of Tech Commons was in Sept 2012. Does Tech Commons or an analogous aggregation for UCB exist?

And--given that the web exhibition is meant to persist "indefinitely" and thus shouldn't be tied to one user's Google account, plus the fact that UCB's Google Apps for Education setup doesn't permit creating custom maps--any suggestions for a suitably low-key tool?

(Not suitable: Neatline, since we're not using Omeka for this project. We may end up using Simile, but the physical exhibition that preceded the web version has its own timeline; I've been asked to seek alternatives.)

Thanks,
Sharon

Re: [Micronet] basic map tool / Tech Commons?

Aron Roberts
I wrote:
> You might perhaps start by taking a look at TileMill/MapBox, one of
the products mentioned there.

One reason for the suggestion for looking at this tool, among others,
is the availability of a detailed set of step-by-step, introductory
instructions here:

http://dataforradicals.com/the-insanely-illustrated-guide-to-your-first-tile-mill-map/

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Aron Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
>   There's a site for 'peer sharing of technology awareness tips' among
> digital humanists that's very much in the spirit of the late Tech
> Commons:
>
>   Bamboo DiRT (via a search on tag 'maps')
>   http://dirt.projectbamboo.org/tags/maps
>
>   You might perhaps start by taking a look at TileMill/MapBox, one of
> the products mentioned there.  (I haven't used any of these products
> and thus don't have any opinions about their suitability to your
> task.)
>
> Good luck!
> Aron Roberts
> Research Information Technologies
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Sharon K. Goetz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, Micronet,
>>
>> I'd like to create a simple display map, similar to a Google custom map, to
>> support a web version of an exhibition (scans of photos/manuscripts,
>> captions, etc.). For ideas I tried to summon techcommons.berkeley.edu, as
>> promoted here and on iNews[*] in 2011, but it seems to have gone away.
>>
>> The last Micronet mention of Tech Commons was in Sept 2012. Does Tech
>> Commons or an analogous aggregation for UCB exist?
>>
>> And--given that the web exhibition is meant to persist "indefinitely" and
>> thus shouldn't be tied to one user's Google account, plus the fact that
>> UCB's Google Apps for Education setup doesn't permit creating custom
>> maps--any suggestions for a suitably low-key tool?
>>
>> (Not suitable: Neatline, since we're not using Omeka for this project. We
>> may end up using Simile, but the physical exhibition that preceded the web
>> version has its own timeline; I've been asked to seek alternatives.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sharon
>>
>> * https://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Aug-Sep2011/TechCommons
>>
>> --
>> Digital Publications Manager, Mark Twain Papers & Project
>> http://www.marktwainproject.org/ http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/MTP/
>> http://twitter.com/mtpo

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] basic map tool / Tech Commons?

Dav Clark
If you're looking for a tool, I'd agree that tilemill sounds like the right approach. There are also javascript solutions, like vega that make it relatively easy to make more "data-driven" descriptions of D3 maps in json:

You might check here for a community:

They are mostly ecology oriented (e.g., http://ecoengine.berkeley.edu/), but very friendly.

There's also a working group that met in the D-Lab on digital maps (I can put you in touch with the coordinator), and the digital urban humanities folks:

Cheers!
--
Dav Clark
UC Berkeley D-Lab

[...]

Patrick Schmitz

Another nice tutorial on D3 Maps: http://suffenus.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/making-interactive-maps-with-d3-for-total-beginners/

Re: [Micronet] basic map tool / Tech Commons?

Sharon K. Goetz-2
Thanks very much to everyone for suggestions, on and off list. An off-list suggestion that may be of interest to someone searching the list archive later is http://openlayers.org/. It's great that there's been an explosion of GIS-related tools during the last 8-10 years....

Sharon