[Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Roger Emond

We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like to use them for university business, but they don’t know the possibilities.  I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile a list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap is good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each. Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10 or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Bill Clark
The free Cisco AnyConnect app is a must-have for Cal employees, since it
allows you to connect to the Campus VPN and access things like O'Reilly
Safari Bookshelf for free access to tech books.

-Bill Clark

> We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like
> to use them for university business, but they don’t know the
> possibilities.
> I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile
> list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and
> better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap
> is
> good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each.
> Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10
> or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!
>

> Roger Emond
>

> Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Geoffrey Kidd
I use Stanza(free) to read both technical ePubs and PDFs on my iPad. The
bad news is that Amazon bought it and it may not be maintained up the line
since it makes the Kindle look poor by comparison.

For those who need/want an HP-interface calculator, I use MathU RPN on the
pad and on my iPhone. It's not free, but once bought you can download it
to both at no additional charge. For technical calculations, I consider it
worth the weight of an iPad -- in gold.

As an educational tool, there's "Star Walk", which uses the internal
accellerometers etc. to show a view of the sky as it looks/would look in
the direction the ipad/iphone is pointing.

> The free Cisco AnyConnect app is a must-have for Cal employees, since it
> allows you to connect to the Campus VPN and access things like O'Reilly
> Safari Bookshelf for free access to tech books.
>
> -Bill Clark
>
>> We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would
>> like
>> to use them for university business, but they don’t know the
>> possibilities.
>> I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to
>> compile
>> list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and
>> better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap
>> is
>> good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each.
>> Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top
>> 10
>> or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in
>> advance!
>>

>> Roger Emond
>>

>> Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

>> please
>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Vic Wong
Besides the obvious Plants vs. Zombies, I usually recommend GoodReader.
It's not free, but it basically adds a file system to your iPad. You can
link to cloud sources like Dropbox, Me.com (haven't tried iCloud yet),
GoogleDocs or your own machine and grab files. You can also grab files off
a URL or a web site.; you can even transfer attachments from your GMail
account.

Once transferred, you can, among other management tasks, move them into
folders and then pick a compatible app to open them. It's ostensibly a PDF
reader with annotation, search, etc. that converts PDF to text for easier
consumption.

There are other apps that do similar things, but this was one of the first.

For catching up on news, I also recommend Flipboard and Reeder for reading
RSS and other news sources. Instapaper for saving web pages for later
reading offline.

I also like FileMaker Go for accessing databases on my home machine and
PCalc is my favorite calculator (toggles RPN, has conversion, constants
and a tape to check entries).

Vic

> We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like
> to use them for university business, but they don’t know the
> possibilities.
> I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile
> list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and
> better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap
> is
> good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each.
> Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10
> or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!
>

> Roger Emond
>

> Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Patrick McGrath
resent with my berkeley.edu address…

Hi Roger -

For what it's worth - My favorite top 10 business app list right now would be:

1) UC Berkeley App - access to maps and the campus directory.
2) ReaddleDocs - mobile access to Research Hub, calshare, google docs, box.net, dropbox, etc. with good file views of different formats
3) Evernote - note taking and synchronization across all clients...
4) iwork suite - editing of word, excel, presentations, etc.  however, pricey.
5&6) DocScanner  & Slidegrabber- document/screen scanning with auto upload to Research Hub, google docs, etc.
7) Tasks+Cal+Sync - access to CalAgenda
8) Things - to-do manager for iOS and Mac
9) eFax - fax reader
10) Tripit - travel intinerary management

On Dec 2, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Roger Emond wrote:

We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like to use them for university business, but they don’t know the possibilities.  I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile a list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap is good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each. Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10 or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Burke Bundy-2
Hi Roger,

FWIW many software titles are available at EDU discount via the App Store Volume Purchase Program:

Hope this helps,
Burke

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Roger Emond <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like to use them for university business, but they don’t know the possibilities.  I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile a list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap is good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each. Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10 or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

Burke Bundy
Systems Administrator
Biostatistics
University of California, Berkeley
114 Haviland Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-7360
Phone: (510) 642-5755
Fax:  (510) 643-5163

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Anthony Roybal
Folks,

I add my vote for Dropbox, Instapaper and Good Reader, and I'll add the following to the list, which is long and opinionated, for those who like that sort of thing!

Simplenote: Either the free or premium version. It's my go-to app on my desktop, iPhone, iPad and random browser for notes, faqs, rough drafts, snippets I want to remember and so on. A very simple text editor but the "always there" aspect makes it essential for me.

Screens: a great VNC client that I use from both my iPhone and iPad. Not cheap, but I'd say it's worth it. There are many alternatives, including free ones, but I don't have much experience with them.

Evernote: It's been around for awhile and it took me a long time to warm up to it, but I find that it's a great scrapbook program/service, also available everywhere. Free, with a premium option.

TextExpander: I already use this for text shortcuts on my Mac, so being able to transfer my macros to the iPad is a bonus. Not free or cheap, but your hands will last years longer!

Text editors: Everyone has their favorites. A couple I would recommend are Nebulous and IA Writer. Both of these - along with SimpleNote - support TextExpander. Nebulous has a plethora of configuration options and works well for coding. IA Writer is focused - literally - on a clutter free writing environment and excels in that area. I'm thinking of trying Textastic, which is well reviewed as a coding editor. What I want is BBEdit on the iPad, and this might be close.

BTW, one of the features that adds to these text editors' usability is Dropbox integration (for obvious reasons). Third party apps are just starting to add iCloud integration for similar functionality.

To do lists. I've personally use Things and Wunderlist and I have been trying out Apple's Reminders. There are many more, such as Remember the Milk, and OmniFocus that are well reviewed. You can find free and not so free. Things is expensive, maybe too expensive, but I've followed it from platform to platform and I've been able to live with it's lack of over the air syncing (coming real soon now!). Wunderlist is simple, but free and it does have over the air syncing. Reminders is built in, is integrated into iCloud calendars, and may be all you need.

Don't overlook the usability of the supplied Apple apps. Mail, Safari, Calendar, Contacts, Maps, Reminders and iBooks are all excellent. Notes is usable, and can by synced to your email accounts, but I personally prefer Simplenote.

Both Gmail and Google Reader work well in Safari. And in general, Safari works great on the iPad, with the obvious limitation of (soon to be going away) Flash content.

Data Syncing. MobileMe, the much maligned (with reason) service, has made it possible to have my calendars, contacts and bookmarks everywhere. The annual cost has been worth it to me and now it's being replaced by iCloud, for free.

iOS 5. Make sure it's installed. Over-the-air updating is reason enough. Add to that: tabbed browsing in Safari, Twitter as as service, Reminders application, and greatly improved notifications. With iCloud it moves the iPad (and iPhone) forward as a stand alone device, no computer necessary.

Regards,
Tony

On Dec 2, 2011, at 12:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Besides the obvious Plants vs. Zombies, I usually recommend GoodReader.
> It's not free, but it basically adds a file system to your iPad. You can
> link to cloud sources like Dropbox, Me.com (haven't tried iCloud yet),
> GoogleDocs or your own machine and grab files. You can also grab files off
> a URL or a web site.; you can even transfer attachments from your GMail
> account.
>
> Once transferred, you can, among other management tasks, move them into
> folders and then pick a compatible app to open them. It's ostensibly a PDF
> reader with annotation, search, etc. that converts PDF to text for easier
> consumption.
>
> There are other apps that do similar things, but this was one of the first.
>
> For catching up on news, I also recommend Flipboard and Reeder for reading
> RSS and other news sources. Instapaper for saving web pages for later
> reading offline.
>
> I also like FileMaker Go for accessing databases on my home machine and
> PCalc is my favorite calculator (toggles RPN, has conversion, constants
> and a tape to check entries).
>
> Vic
>
>> We have several faculty and staff who are purchasing iPads and would like
>> to use them for university business, but they don’t know the
>> possibilities.
>> I know we have many seasoned users on the list, so I am hoping to compile
>> list of “tried and true” apps that is more focused to campus work and
>> better than a “Top 5” list found on Google.  Nothing is too basic, cheap
>> is
>> good, free is better. Please include a sentence about why you like each.
>> Feel free to reply to the list or to me directly and I’ll compile a top 10
>> or 20 to send back to the list, depending on response. Thanks in advance!
>>

>> Roger Emond
>>

>> Sent from my Roomba iRobot vacuum

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] best iPad apps ?

Guy D. VINSON
Apps I use almost daily:

Instapaper ( web based info offline)
QuickOffice (good MSOffice replacement for the iphone or ipad)
Min to Go (time and alarm app)
Dragon dictation (for ipad or iphone)
Dropbox
Evernote
Teamviewer (to connect to my office machine remotely)
Tasks+Cal+Sync
Kindle reader

All but the Quickoffice and Tasks are Free...
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Patrick McGrath <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edgar Ortega-3
A lot of my favorites and most used have already been mentioned, so let me throw in a few that haven't been that I find useful for work purposes:

- Microsoft OneNote (syncs to Skydrive)
- U C Berkeley (for quick directory searches on the go)
- PocketCloud Pro (for RDP/VNC with great mouse control options)
- Genius Scan (uses phone's camera to scan documents, enhance them, and store them to your phone, or cloud services).

-Edgar Ortega

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.