[Micronet] bmail ate mail--others?

Sharon K. Goetz
My unit's mail was migrated to bMail in early May. Soon afterwards, a
colleague found that all messages datestamped earlier than a week
after the migration were gone. The colleague had the interesting
experience of watching them vanish from Thunderbird as the server's
lack of those messages caused Thunderbird to delete them, too--about
twenty years' worth of messages.

I walked my colleague through logging a support request with CSS, and
they exchanged some messages, but the ticket has been closed without
the restoration of mail from backups. Surely there are backups, yes?

This event seems rather less than operationally excellent. Is it
isolated, or have other fac/staff experienced something similar?

Thanks,
Sharon
(Library)

Re: [Micronet] bmail ate mail--others?

Aron Roberts
Depending on how those email messages "vanished," and if your
colleague has not yet subsequently "compacted" their relevant
mailbox(es), there may be hope for some or all to still *potentially*
be recoverable:

There are disk-based mechanisms for recovering messages marked as
deleted, *if* the process (IMAP synchronization, or?) that occurred
used that particular mechanism for 'disappearing' those messages:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Undelete_a_message

There also appear to be (unofficially) other, more involved mechanisms
for restoring 'disappeared' messages:
http://serverfault.com/questions/259927/recovering-deleted-emails-on-imap-server-with-thunderbird

Two caveats:

First, either of the mechanisms above might not be applicable to your
colleague's scenario.

Second, It's a long time from that early May transition, which can
potentially make recovery far more problematic.

I don't know what you or your colleague discussed with CSS, but it
might yet be worth having an IT support person, if one is available to
work once again with your colleague, look specifically at these and
perhaps similar potentials for recovery.

Also, you might try checking whether CSS might be participating in
tabling at today's Summerfest event (http://summerfest.berkeley.edu/).
 That might give you an opportunity for at least a casual
conversation, for starters.

Aron Roberts
IST-RIT

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Sharon K. Goetz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My unit's mail was migrated to bMail in early May. Soon afterwards, a
> colleague found that all messages datestamped earlier than a week
> after the migration were gone. The colleague had the interesting
> experience of watching them vanish from Thunderbird as the server's
> lack of those messages caused Thunderbird to delete them, too--about
> twenty years' worth of messages.
>
> I walked my colleague through logging a support request with CSS, and
> they exchanged some messages, but the ticket has been closed without
> the restoration of mail from backups. Surely there are backups, yes?
>
> This event seems rather less than operationally excellent. Is it
> isolated, or have other fac/staff experienced something similar?
>
> Thanks,
> Sharon
> (Library)

Re: [Micronet] bmail ate mail--others?

Guy D. VINSON
Forgive me for butting in here but I was curious; the bmail migration only moved mail that was located on the calmail server did your colleague have twenty years of e-mail migrated from the calmail servers or are we talking about mail that was on a Thunderbird e-mail client set up as a POP client, because the only thing that would be moved would be the mail currently on the server at the time of the migration.

I don't know if the [hidden email] e-mail address is still active but the first thing I would do it contact the calmail folks to find out if there are backups of the mail that was migrated. But if we are talking about mail that was stored locally on the users machine then there isn't much they can do to help and you should be looking at recovery from the local machine. It might just be a index issue and the mail is still there.

[...]

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] bmail ate mail--others?

Sharon K. Goetz
Thanks to everyone who has replied on and off list. I should have made
it clearer in my earlier message that I don't seek a solution--I've
made one--though we still don't know why all mail prior to early May
vanished from bMail after being visible there for nearly a week.

My question (since I am not an IT person, only able to do some of the
work) remains whether this sudden disappearance of messages from bMail
is an isolated event or something that others have encountered. Seems
isolated based on the responses I've seen so far.

Additional clarification: my "surely there are backups?" question
pertains to bMail, not to pre-migration CalMail, for the several days
of new mail that arrived at bMail before vanishing together with the
wodge of migrated messages.

Sharon