[Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

[Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Joyce Martin

Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.

Thanks!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board

FSITSupport Website

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Greetings,

As I recall the number was either 300 or 350 per message. That information is fairly dated however...

Regards,
Johnathon

On 1/22/13 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin wrote:

Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.

Thanks!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board

FSITSupport Website

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Ben Gross
Hi Joyce,

Here are the details on the sending limits from the Google Documentation.

Sending limits - Google Apps Help
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852

Message bounced due to sending limit - Gmail Help
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839

Thank you,
Ben

On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.
>

> If you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
>
> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase
> Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board
> FSITSupport Website
> Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Richard DeShong-2
Also, it is not just the sending system - you also need to consider the receiving email server.  There are no universal rules.  The number of recipients in the email is one of a bunch of rules used to decide if an email is spam.  Most systems assign a value to each of the rules, then test the rules and add up all of the values.  Then the total is used to decide what to do with the email.  Typical actions are: No Action, Tag It, or Reject It.

Since there are no general rules for this, I always suggest that you send multiple emails using 50 or 100 emails at a time.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ben Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joyce,

Here are the details on the sending limits from the Google Documentation.

Sending limits - Google Apps Help
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852

Message bounced due to sending limit - Gmail Help
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839

Thank you,
Ben

On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.
>

> If you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
>
> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase
> Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board
> FSITSupport Website
> Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Jon Broshious-2
Hi Joyce,

We do not want to post information that may help spammers avoid
detection when they have compromised campus email accounts. It is
sufficient to say, that you should be wary of posting email to large
numbers of people from your personal campus email account. Create and
use a campus mailing list via CalMail to avoid trouble.

You can write to [hidden email] for details about what is liable
to cause your account access to be disabled.

Jon  Broshious

On 1/22/2013 12:07 PM, Ben Gross wrote:

> Hi Joyce,
>
> Here are the details on the sending limits from the Google Documentation.
>
> Sending limits - Google Apps Help
> http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852
>
> Message bounced due to sending limit - Gmail Help
> http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839
>
> Thank you,
> Ben
>
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.
>>

>> If you have any questions, please let me know.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Joyce Martin
>> Business Analyst
>> Facilities Services Information Technology
>> 2000 Carleton
>> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>> (510) 643-1485
>>
>> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase
>> Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board
>> FSITSupport Website
>> Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Campus Technology Services

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Jon Broshious-2
The Google settings are a low baseline. If you do run afoul of our system, I'd be the one to check the logs and figure out if your CalNet ID is compromised. Write to me from a non campus address, or call me if you get locked out. If it's during business hours, I am liable to call you first. An email to [hidden email] is liable to get a reply after hours when I recognize the address.
Save yourself trouble and create mail lists...

Jon

On 1/22/2013 12:37 PM, Richard DESHONG wrote:
Also, it is not just the sending system - you also need to consider the receiving email server.  There are no universal rules.  The number of recipients in the email is one of a bunch of rules used to decide if an email is spam.  Most systems assign a value to each of the rules, then test the rules and add up all of the values.  Then the total is used to decide what to do with the email.  Typical actions are: No Action, Tag It, or Reject It.

Since there are no general rules for this, I always suggest that you send multiple emails using 50 or 100 emails at a time.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ben Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joyce,

Here are the details on the sending limits from the Google Documentation.

Sending limits - Google Apps Help
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852

Message bounced due to sending limit - Gmail Help
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839

Thank you,
Ben

On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.
>

> If you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
>
> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase
> Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board
> FSITSupport Website
> Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Campus Technology Services
643-8213

Also, it is not just the sending system - you also need to consider the receiving email server.  There are no universal rules.  The number of recipients in the email is one of a bunch of rules used to decide if an email is spam.  Most systems assign a value to each of the rules, then test the rules and add up all of the values.  Then the total is used to decide what to do with the email.  Typical actions are: No Action, Tag It, or Reject It.

Since there are no general rules for this, I always suggest that you send multiple emails using 50 or 100 emails at a time.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ben Gross <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Joyce,

Here are the details on the sending limits from the Google Documentation.

Sending limits - Google Apps Help
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852

Message bounced due to sending limit - Gmail Help
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839

Thank you,
Ben

On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Joyce Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - does anyone know how many email addresses one can send to in one email (in Calmail)?  I thought I heard there was a limit to the addressee list due to spam concerns.
>

> If you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
>
> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase
> Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board
> FSITSupport Website
> Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] calmail email addressees limit?

Jon Broshious-2
Scratch calnet@be, and make the email address [hidden email] for help with disabled email accounts.
Bernie and I both watch that queue after hours. And ccs staff watch it during the day.

Jon