[Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

[Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

Benjamin Darmoni
Hi All,

We are looking for reliable laptop for our users.

We will appreciate If any of you already did the research and have some
information that you can share with us.

Thanks,

Benjami..

Re: [Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

ppayne

The Library standard is Lenovo T410.  Lenovo laptops are very reliable
and they have been the Library standard for over 10 years.
We have experienced very few problems with Lenovo laptops over the years.

Paul

On 1/28/2011 11:09 AM, Benjamin Darmoni wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are looking for reliable laptop for our users.
>
> We will appreciate If any of you already did the research and have some
> information that you can share with us.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benjami..

Paul T. Payne
LCIS Manager
Library Computer Infrastructure Services
UC Berkeley - Library Systems

Re: [Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

jon kuroda-2
In EECS, we have have established a defacto standard of Lenovo
Thnkpads and Apple Macbook Pros.  They have been what we issue
to our incoming grad students every fall and are what the vast
majority of folks in EECS buy for laptops via bulk purchases.

Speaking for my own experiences, I have used Thinkpads since I
started in EECS back in 1998 (when they were made by IBM), and
I can't imagine using anything else.

I have one survive an "exit" from my car at 25MPH, another one
survive a 5am mixup at the airport where my carryon bag became
checked luggage, and over half a dozen spilled Coca-Colas with
only one casualty - a keyboard.

The T series is a great balance between portability and power,
while the X series (I currently use an X301) is very portable,
but at the cost of some power and maybe some durability.  They
used to have an A series - essentially a desktop replacement -
but I think that's been renamed to the W series.

I find them very easy to maintain, so even after support ends,
I can still buy parts and repair them without much trouble.

There is a great website for checking out specs and details:

        http://thinkwiki.org/

I like the Apple MacBook hardware enough and consider it to be
durable enough, though I do not find the current generation of
MacBook Pros (the Unibody design) to be very serviceable.

--Jon

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:09:09AM -0800, Benjamin Darmoni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are looking for reliable laptop for our users.
>
> We will appreciate If any of you already did the research and have some
> information that you can share with us.

Re: [Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

Claudia A. WATERS
We also use Lenovo as our standard laptop.  We now use X201.
Claudia

The Library standard is Lenovo T410.  Lenovo laptops are very reliable and
they have been the Library standard for over 10 years.
We have experienced very few problems with Lenovo laptops over the years.

Paul

On 1/28/2011 11:09 AM, Benjamin Darmoni wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are looking for reliable laptop for our users.
>
> We will appreciate If any of you already did the research and have
> some information that you can share with us.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benjami..

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Paul T. Payne
LCIS Manager
Library Computer Infrastructure Services UC Berkeley - Library Systems

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

Seth Novogrodsky
L&S is recommending Toshiba enterprise laptops.  See
<http://cdwg.com/berkeley> and click on "Toshiba Laptops" to see our
recommended models.  We recommended Lenovo in the past, but began
experiencing some issues, particularly with the docks.  We did a formal
evaluation of Toshiba laptops and decided that they were a better fit
for our users.

The campus Toshiba rep. is:

Greg Ruthenberg
Account Executive
510-684-4739 cell
510-295-2570 fax
[hidden email]

He can provide units for evaluation.

Seth

On 1/28/2011 2:01 PM, Claudia Waters wrote:

> We also use Lenovo as our standard laptop.  We now use X201.
> Claudia

Seth Novogrodsky, Letters & Science Computing Resources
http://ls.berkeley.edu/lscr/who/staff/seth

Re: [Micronet] can any one recommend workstation replacement laptops

Jeff Anderson-Lee
On 1/28/2011 12:02 PM, jon kuroda wrote:
> In EECS, we have have established a defacto standard of Lenovo
> Thnkpads and Apple Macbook Pros.  They have been what we issue
> to our incoming grad students every fall and are what the vast
> majority of folks in EECS buy for laptops via bulk purchases.
>
> Speaking for my own experiences, I have used Thinkpads since I
> started in EECS back in 1998 (when they were made by IBM), and
> I can't imagine using anything else.
On the counter-side un-recommendation, I used to use Dell laptops, but
found they only lasted about two years before they needed replacement
and the batteries and power cords lasted half that.

I currently have a Lenovo T410 from the last EECS departmental
bulk-purchase.  It seems to be a bit of a lemon -- or something.  It was
very unstable for the first several months, often locking up or bricking
after running Microsoft Update or installing new drivers from the Lenovo
web site, and requiring frequent O/S reinstalls.  I tried Windows7
(bricked multiple times), WinXP (failed to install), several flavors of
Linux (lacking full wireless support), and back to Windows7.  It has
been stable for the past few months, but I've been very careful about
*not* accepting new driver updates.

As far as I know, no one else from that bulk purchase has experienced
similar problems, so it might be some unique hardware glitch in my laptop...

Jeff Anderson-Lee