[Micronet] card reader for Cal 1 cards?

Jan Pardoe
Hi all.

We have a student center that would like to swipe Cal 1 cards
(student IDs) in order to track who uses their services.  Are any
other departments on campus doing this, and do you have any device
and/or software recommendations?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jan
Jan Pardoe                                   [hidden email]
Manager, Administrative Computing              510-643-7848 (voice)
EECS/CoE Dean, UC Berkeley                     510-642-5775 (fax)

Re: [Micronet] card reader for Cal 1 cards?

Elise Woods
Hi Jan,

The Library uses Cal1Cards for charging for prints and scans in our public service locations when using the scanners and printers.   The software is Pharos and CSGold, but if you don't plan to charge for any services, you may want to contact the Cal1Card office for more information on using the Cal1Cards for tracking purposes.

Thanks, Elise

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Jan Pardoe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.

We have a student center that would like to swipe Cal 1 cards
(student IDs) in order to track who uses their services.  Are any
other departments on campus doing this, and do you have any device
and/or software recommendations?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jan
Jan Pardoe                                   [hidden email]
Manager, Administrative Computing              510-643-7848 (voice)
EECS/CoE Dean, UC Berkeley                     510-642-5775 (fax)

Elise Woods
Chief Financial Officer
University Library
UC Berkeley
110 Doe Library, MC 6000
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
510-643-3202 (office)
925-285-1988 (cell)

Re: [Micronet] card reader for Cal 1 cards?

Anna Maurer

Hi Jan,

Rec Sports uses turnstyles with RFID readers to manage access control, and campus ID cards  - fac/staff and student – are about 98% of the daily scans. We worked with the Cal1Card office on the whole process, from RFID readers to data mining.

Anna

Re: [Micronet] card reader for Cal 1 cards?

Jan Pardoe
Thanks, Anna.  Do you have any details on the make, model, and cost of
the RFID readers?

Jan

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:03:15AM -0700, Anna Maurer wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>

> Rec Sports uses turnstyles with RFID readers to manage access control, and
> campus ID cards  - fac/staff and student - are about 98% of the daily scans.
> We worked with the Cal1Card office on the whole process, from RFID readers
> to data mining.
>

> Anna

I'll have to look it up. I handled the data aspect of the project and a
no-longer-here coworker handled the hardware with Cal 1. Our setup may be
different - we needed readers to interface with the database and our
turnstyles, so not sure if they were special readers or not.

Anna