[Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

[Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Tomowens
1)Anyone have experience connecting an apple tv to AirBears2?

2) anyone have a Micro-USB cable that I can borrow?

 I'm trying to set up a large screen tv for a small group to use as a wireless screen display. To use airplay both the computer and the apple TV have to be on the same network but apple tv tells me that in order to connect to AirBears2 I need to install a profile using Apple Configurator. Then the apple tv  has to be connected to a computer via a Micro-USB cable. A simple project made enormously hard.

Tom Owens
477 McCone
Berkeley, CA 94720

tel: 510-643-5061
fax: 510-642-9520

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

erol
Tom,

Unfortunately, you cannot use an Apple TV on Airbears or Airbears 2 for AirPlay as it requires Bonjour which is not currently an active protocol on the Airbears Enterprise WiFi system.

Erol Kepkep

On Dec 9, 2013, at 6:25 PM, Tomowens <[hidden email]> wrote:

1)Anyone have experience connecting an apple tv to AirBears2?

2) anyone have a Micro-USB cable that I can borrow?

 I'm trying to set up a large screen tv for a small group to use as a wireless screen display. To use airplay both the computer and the apple TV have to be on the same network but apple tv tells me that in order to connect to AirBears2 I need to install a profile using Apple Configurator. Then the apple tv  has to be connected to a computer via a Micro-USB cable. A simple project made enormously hard.

Tom Owens
477 McCone
Berkeley, CA 94720

tel: 510-643-5061
fax: 510-642-9520

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Luke Rockwell
Tom,

Are you trying to present live content that requires internet? If you don't let me know and I can tell you how to do it

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2013, at 6:45 PM, Erol Kepkep <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Duane P. Straub
As Erol states, Bonjour needs to be enabled. A meeting about the
technical aspects of that was held on campus a month or so ago
attended by CNS, Cisco, & Apple. CNS is not against implementing
Bonjour, they just need to see the demand to prioritize it with their
other efforts.

If you/your group would like to implement Apple TV over Airbears 2,
please send me an email with the specifics of who you/your group are &
where you'd like to implement it. I will add you to my existing list
of interested groups and pass it on.

Thanks!
Duane

--

Duane Straub
Upper Bancroft Support Team Supervisor

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Greg Merritt
Should be able to have the computer share its wired NIC (whether connected or not!) via its wireless, and have the Apple TV join that wireless network created by the computer.  Bingo, they're on the same network...

-Greg

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Luke Rockwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you trying to present live content that requires internet? If you don't let me know and I can tell you how to do it

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Isaac Orr
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Duane P. Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Erol states, Bonjour needs to be enabled. A meeting about the
> technical aspects of that was held on campus a month or so ago
> attended by CNS, Cisco, & Apple. CNS is not against implementing
> Bonjour, they just need to see the demand to prioritize it with their
> other efforts.

Just to clarify this position a little bit.  IST-Telecommunications
believes that Bonjour (mDNS) is not a protocol that is designed for
use on large, enterprise scale networks. While it is likely that we
can find ways to make it work, and vendors are coming up with
solutions to make the protocol scale better (other than Apple, who are
quite happy with it as it is), there is not currently a totally viable
solution for enabling the protocol on our network.  Anything put in
place at this point in time would have various drawbacks and support
concerns.

This does not mean that we will not ever have some sort of support for
Bonjour like protocols, just that there are a lot of issues to resolve
to provide transport for that type of traffic. The amount of time we
spend on resolving those issues will depend on where support for
Bonjour lies on the list of things people would like the network to
do.  Right now our best understanding is that it lies well behind
several other important services we'd like to get deployed.

Regards

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

David Schwartz
On Dec 14, 2013, at 5:28 PM, Isaac Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Duane P. Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As Erol states, Bonjour needs to be enabled. A meeting about the
>> technical aspects of that was held on campus a month or so ago
>> attended by CNS, Cisco, & Apple. CNS is not against implementing
>> Bonjour, they just need to see the demand to prioritize it with their
>> other efforts.

Good news for AppleTV users on AirBears (and for the network administrators who work tirelessly to support us).

Version 6.1 of the AppleTV software (released on March 10th) allows iOS devices running 7.1 (released the same day) to discover them over Bluetooth 4.0!

This feature does not yet seem to be offered in OS X; hopefully that will be forthcoming. But with Keynote 6 offering a very similar experience on both iOS and OS X, presentations can easily be ported to an iPhone or iPad for use with a display TV.

First reported here:
http://www.afp548.com/2014/03/10/hidden-airplay-feature-in-the-appletv-6-1-ios-7-1-update/

> Just to clarify this position a little bit.  IST-Telecommunications
> believes that Bonjour (mDNS) is not a protocol that is designed for
> use on large, enterprise scale networks. While it is likely that we
> can find ways to make it work, and vendors are coming up with
> solutions to make the protocol scale better (other than Apple, who are
> quite happy with it as it is), there is not currently a totally viable
> solution for enabling the protocol on our network.  Anything put in
> place at this point in time would have various drawbacks and support
> concerns.
>
> This does not mean that we will not ever have some sort of support for
> Bonjour like protocols, just that there are a lot of issues to resolve
> to provide transport for that type of traffic. The amount of time we
> spend on resolving those issues will depend on where support for
> Bonjour lies on the list of things people would like the network to
> do.  Right now our best understanding is that it lies well behind
> several other important services we'd like to get deployed.
>
> Regards
>
> iso
>
> --
> Isaac Simon Orr
> Manager, Network Operations and Services
> IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

--
David Schwartz
[hidden email]

Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a service request, please go to
https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
or call 664-9000, options 1, 4, 2

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Jay Bryon
If possible, I'd get the Apple TV a wired connection, particularly if it's a stationary install.  It generally will work a bit better that way, based on my experience with them, and with the bluetooth discovery ease of use would be unaffected.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM, David Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Dec 14, 2013, at 5:28 PM, Isaac Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Duane P. Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As Erol states, Bonjour needs to be enabled. A meeting about the
>> technical aspects of that was held on campus a month or so ago
>> attended by CNS, Cisco, & Apple. CNS is not against implementing
>> Bonjour, they just need to see the demand to prioritize it with their
>> other efforts.

Good news for AppleTV users on AirBears (and for the network administrators who work tirelessly to support us).

Version 6.1 of the AppleTV software (released on March 10th) allows iOS devices running 7.1 (released the same day) to discover them over Bluetooth 4.0!

This feature does not yet seem to be offered in OS X; hopefully that will be forthcoming. But with Keynote 6 offering a very similar experience on both iOS and OS X, presentations can easily be ported to an iPhone or iPad for use with a display TV.

First reported here:
http://www.afp548.com/2014/03/10/hidden-airplay-feature-in-the-appletv-6-1-ios-7-1-update/

> Just to clarify this position a little bit.  IST-Telecommunications
> believes that Bonjour (mDNS) is not a protocol that is designed for
> use on large, enterprise scale networks. While it is likely that we
> can find ways to make it work, and vendors are coming up with
> solutions to make the protocol scale better (other than Apple, who are
> quite happy with it as it is), there is not currently a totally viable
> solution for enabling the protocol on our network.  Anything put in
> place at this point in time would have various drawbacks and support
> concerns.
>
> This does not mean that we will not ever have some sort of support for
> Bonjour like protocols, just that there are a lot of issues to resolve
> to provide transport for that type of traffic. The amount of time we
> spend on resolving those issues will depend on where support for
> Bonjour lies on the list of things people would like the network to
> do.  Right now our best understanding is that it lies well behind
> several other important services we'd like to get deployed.
>
> Regards
>
> iso
>
> --
> Isaac Simon Orr
> Manager, Network Operations and Services
> IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

--
David Schwartz
[hidden email]

Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a service request, please go to
https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
or call 664-9000, options 1, 4, 2

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] connecting Apple TV to AirBears2

Luke Rockwell
Looks like with iOS 8 bluetooth discovery will make this easier

Luke Rockwell
Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley