[Micronet] database change management tool recommendations?

[Micronet] database change management tool recommendations?

Russell Connacher
Hi all,

In L&S Advising, our projects have grown into the need for not just code version
control, but database version control as well.  So far, we've just kept complete
restore sql scripts in Subversion along with the rest of a project's code. I'm
beginning to wonder if we're missing a lot of worth-while features, though.

We build web apps in Java and php accessing stores in mySql and Oracle. To
remain as agile as possible we'd like to be able to refactor data stores with
the same ease Eclipse allows us to refactor code. Further, since we work
primarily with student systems, we expect that as Student Systems 2012 central
stores change, we'll need to be able to react quickly.

Anyone have experience to share with open source database change management
tools? (I've found 'LiquiBase' and 'dbdeploy' on a first, cursory search.)

tia!
Russ

--

Russell Connacher                   113 Campbell Hall # 2924
Information Systems                 Berkeley, CA 94720-2924

(please consider the environment before printing this email)

Re: [Micronet] database change management tool recommendations?

Bill Clark
My only experience with third-party migration tools is with Ruby on Rails
ActiveRecord stuff, and it was fairly straightforward.  It's also pretty
trivial to just build your own -- the key concept is to have a single
script for each revision that you can run in either direction.. it would
allow you to migrate "up" to the newer revision as well as to migrate
"down" to restore the old configuration and data.

So if the database migration involves deleting a bunch of records, you'd
actually want to implement that by either copying them all to an archive
table or (if it's static data) by hard-coding the data into the "down"
portion of the migrate script, so you can restore the records if need be.
If all of your changes are completely reversible, then it becomes much
simpler to step between different revisions of your database setup.

Many of the additional features (at least with migrations in Rails) are
based on that reversibility, and if you write all your database change
scripts with that "undo" capability in mind, you generally end up with a
more maintainable system overall.

Hope that helps,

-Bill Clark

> Hi all,
>
> In L&S Advising, our projects have grown into the need for not just code
> version
> control, but database version control as well.  So far, we've just kept
> complete
> restore sql scripts in Subversion along with the rest of a project's code.
> I'm
> beginning to wonder if we're missing a lot of worth-while features,
> though.
>
> We build web apps in Java and php accessing stores in mySql and Oracle. To
> remain as agile as possible we'd like to be able to refactor data stores
> with
> the same ease Eclipse allows us to refactor code. Further, since we work
> primarily with student systems, we expect that as Student Systems 2012
> central
> stores change, we'll need to be able to react quickly.
>
> Anyone have experience to share with open source database change
> management
> tools? (I've found 'LiquiBase' and 'dbdeploy' on a first, cursory search.)
>
> tia!
> Russ
>

> --
>
> Russell Connacher                   113 Campbell Hall # 2924
> Information Systems                 Berkeley, CA 94720-2924
> Undergraduate Advising              (510)643-9892, 642-2372(FAX)
> College of Letters & Science, UCB   [hidden email]
>
> (please consider the environment before printing this email)

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] database change management tool recommendations?

Zane C Cooper
Database version control is pretty seamless and nicely integrated when using Microsoft SQL Server, VisualStudio, and Visual SourceSafe.  It's provided significant benefit to the Haas School's IT organization, allowing our developers to collaborate more effectively as a group and concentrate on business analysis and systems design and development that provide solutions for our customers.

I standardized our development architecture on the Microsoft stack (.NET/C#/MSSQL/VS/VSS/Silverlight) several years ago.  The result is that we have tremendous agility as an IT organization, providing our customers exactly what they need while saving time, resources, and budget.

Best,
Zane

Zane Cooper
Chief Technology Officer