[Micronet] desktop support for graduate students?

[Micronet] desktop support for graduate students?

Greg Merritt *
Micronet,

Are there any generally-accessible resources for support for personal desktops/laptops for students -- graduate students in particular?

If not, are there recommended for-pay on-campus or off-campus resources?

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] desktop support for graduate students?

Kathleen Valerio
On the Calpact webpage I have a list of fee-based training companies
(desktop and tech) who offer UC people discounts.
http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/learning/computer-classes/calpact
This is intended to be a starting point - as there are many more out there.
Typically if you ask the company for an educational or government discount -
most companies offer something along these lines.

If you're talking about troubleshooting hardware support- not training- I'm
not sure who to call - but you can still ask for a discount for .edu or .gov

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator
643-0452

Are there any generally-accessible resources for support for personal
desktops/laptops for students -- graduate students in particular?

If not, are there recommended for-pay on-campus or off-campus resources?

Thanks!

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] desktop support for graduate students?

Greg Merritt
Oh, yes, sorry --

If a student has a compromised computer or needs an OS reinstalled, is there *any* general resource for them on campus -- aside from any department-specific resources to which they might have access?  Or is the only option to just pay an hourly rate at some computer servicing shop?

Thanks!

-Greg